PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Wallace has 2 speeds: Fast and faster

zulater
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
When Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger steps into the pocket and looks downfield for Mike Wallace, he's knows one thing for certain.

He's not overthrowing one of the NFL's fastest players, unless he somehow launches the ball 10 yards beyond the end zone.

"Can't do it," Roethlisberger said.

When the Steelers drafted Wallace in 2009, they knew they were getting a fast receiver. They had no idea the third-round draft pick from Mississippi might find himself being compared to receivers such as Hall of Famers John Stallworth and Lynn Swann so early in his career.

In two seasons, Wallace has 16 touchdown catches, including 10 in his first year as a starter this season. By comparison, Stallworth and Swann both had career highs of 11 touchdowns.

Wallace also averages 21 yards every time he catches a pass, and 12.7 yards whenever a pass is thrown his way - whether he catches it or not. His seven 100-yard games tied Stallworth for the most in a Steelers season. He also ranked second in the league with 17 catches of 25 yards or more.

No matter who the Steelers play in the NFL divisional playoffs next week, defending Wallace will be a priority for their opponent.

read more.....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/06/AR2011010603780.html

JayC
01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
i would like "10 catch 156 yard" stats next year instead of always being "3 catches 110 yards" but i won't complain with the latter. i just want him to become a go to guy on 3rd and 7 where he picks up 8 instead of always going deep.

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2011, 10:26 PM
i would like "10 catch 156 yard" stats next year instead of always being "3 catches 110 yards" but i won't complain with the latter. i just want him to become a go to guy on 3rd and 7 where he picks up 8 instead of always going deep.

I love a great possession receiver far more than a deep-threat too! I think the possession receiver we seek will be Sanders though, and plenty of Brown as well.

steelpride12
01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Still has plenty of work to do before I can consider this kid great and amazing. Yes he is a dangerous deep threat, but an average of 1-3 catches a game just won't cut it he needs to start being a possession as well as a deep threat and work on the short plays and slant routes. That being said I have his jersey on the way in time for the playoffs woo!

Galax Steeler
01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I love reading and watching Wallace play he will bring years of excitement to Steeler fans for years to come.

Craic
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Naa, because his 3/110 usually has another stat 1 TD, 2 TD's behind it. We still have Ward to run the short routes. Sanders and Brown are good for short and intermediate routes now. HTey have to learn the route tree a bit more, but they are doing very well. Also, don't forget, one or two of those 3 passes WERE short passes that he caught, and then just turned on the jets.

ALLD
01-08-2011, 06:59 AM
The whole point of Wallace going long is to open up underneath. The quick slant was absolutely brilliant much like the ARE XL revisited option to Ward. Let Ward find the soft spots and the two rookies take the edges and dumpoffs. Throw in a bit of "Boys to Mendenhall" out of the backfield too.

memphissteelergirl
01-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Actually, Wallace has 3 speeds: Fast, faster, and OUTTA SIGHT!! :chuckle: