PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck skipping NFL Draft going back to Stanford

Carolina Steelers
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Im very surprised by this hes the number #1 pick this yr, cant do anything better then he did this yr. You can always go back and get your degree if you want to, just hope he dosent get injured his stock will never be higher.

Nadroj 20
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Im surprised too...Jake Locker was thought to be the best QB last year before the draft and he went back and probably hurt himself more then anything. He sure didnt help his case imo, so I think Luck needs to think about this a little more and make sure he gets that garunteed money. Especially if his Harbaugh decides to take another job, which it appears like hes interested in doing.

steeldevil
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Some of my friends are really depressed right now.

I don't understand this decision at all. He essentially just flushed at least 50 million dollars down the drain. And why? To go to school... Stupid. Oh well, but I did want to see him with the Panthers.

Carolina Steelers
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Im not sure about the 50 million, i think the new CBA will have some kind of rookie salary cap, but he still would get a nice size contract

fansince'76
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't understand this decision at all.

I do....

http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/on-strike-sign.jpg

If I'm a 21/22-year-old kid, no WAY am I putting my immediate future in the hands of Goodell and DeMaurice Smith. And Luck is also one of the rare cases of a blue chip prospect that is actually going to school for an education as well as to play football. I commend him. And either way, lockout/strike or no lockout/strike, the days of the $80 million contract with $50 million guaranteed for the #1 pick ended last year.

SteelerSal
01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I do....

If I'm a 21/22-year-old kid, no WAY am I putting my immediate future in the hands of Goodell and DeMaurice Smith. And Luck is also one of the rare cases of a blue chip prospect that is actually going to school for an education as well as to play football. I commend him. And either way, lockout/strike or no lockout/strike, the days of the $80 million contract with $50 million guaranteed for the #1 pick ended last year.

I agree with this...

steeldawg
01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I do....

I would have to disagree a degree will never help you earn the type of money he would get as an nfl player going 1st overall. You can always go back and finish your degree, your window for playing ball is very short. If he goes back and blows out his knee or shoulder then he is either done or really hurts his stock. I always think this is a bad decision.

Devilsdancefloor
01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
his education musat be more important to him and kudos for him!

steeldawg
01-06-2011, 08:27 PM
his education musat be more important to him and kudos for him!

Why cant he just get his education when his nfl career is over? You can always go back to school especially if your a millionaire, why take a chance at blowing a huge opportunity?

JayC
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
i guess good for him for staying in school, but he looked nfl ready to me

steeldevil
01-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Yea the potential lockout and restructuring of rookie contracts is a good reason to stay. I didn't think about that. But he But still, being 21 myself I still would have came out if I were him. I don't buy the whole getting an education thing, you can do that at any time if you are rich.

NCSteeler
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
He takes a bad chance on injury or just as bad, his coach leaving and the whole program falling apart and he drops to 15-32 pick next year. He'll look like a real genius, but hell he'll be a great Architect pulling down 75k a year. Kids was a guaranteed top3 pick and I would bet even with the possible rookie cap, it'll mean big money. I'm all for a degree, but you can earn a degree as a 32 year old millionaire with bad knees.

steeldawg
01-07-2011, 05:27 AM
The rookie wage scale shouldnt be a factor because if it goes into effect, going back to school wont change that. The point is your stock is at its highest point you stand to make the most money you can make by being the number 1 pick, your stock can only go down.

Nadroj 20
01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I heard on espn today even with the rookie salary cap thing he was still projected to get 30-40 million....I'd take the garunteed money and work toward my degree at a later time, but if thats not for him then good for him for doing what HE wants to do.

SteelCityMan786
01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I say good call by him. Too much uncertainty. Plus, a Rookie Salary Cap needs to be instituted.

salamander
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Why is it so hard for people to accept the fact that this kid actually wants to finish school on time? I admire what he's doing. Yes he's giving up a huge amount of money but props to him for wanting to get his degree on time.

Count Steeler
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Sounds like he has his priorities right. Too bad the Steelers won't need him for a while.

NCSteeler
01-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Easy to have your priorities right when you come from money or have money. Still think he's foolish to pass on being the #1 pick.

st33lersguy
01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Good for him that he returns to school and get his degree. Football is not everything

LLT
01-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I do....

Bingo...and the way its would play out is that the Panthers would draft him and get his exclusive rights...but would not have to give him a contract or compensation of anykind until the strike was settled.

So....why potentially sit out a year with no money, when you can finish your schooling and continue your free ride through Stanford?

LLT
01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I heard on espn today even with the rookie salary cap thing he was still projected to get 30-40 million....I'd take the garunteed money and work toward my degree at a later time, but if thats not for him then good for him for doing what HE wants to do.

Because the owners can not give him a contract until the strike is settled....sooo there is the possibility that he would be off a year without compensation.

steeldawg
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Why is it so hard for people to accept the fact that this kid actually wants to finish school on time? I admire what he's doing. Yes he's giving up a huge amount of money but props to him for wanting to get his degree on time.

on time for what?

salamander
01-08-2011, 10:12 AM
on time for what?

Oh I don't know, maybe when he's supposed to? Not 10 or more years from now?

tube517
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
It's his life, let him make his own decisions.

salamander
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
It's his life, let him make his own decisions.

B..b..but he should give up on school and take da muney (that might not even be there for him)!!!

:chuckle:

venom
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Best of Luck to Andrew ( like that eh ) and his decision . He cant do no better than # 1 in the next draft .

steeldawg
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
B..b..but he should give up on school and take da muney (that might not even be there for him)!!!

:chuckle:

Ya because he can never go back to school. I mean why be a millionaire when you can have a piece of paper. Everyone knows that once you get a college degree you gauranteed success.

steeldawg
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh I don't know, maybe when he's supposed to? Not 10 or more years from now?

I didnt realize there is a "supposed to " time frame on college degrees. last time i checked their value is the same no matter when you get it. I doubt after he gets his degree and hes a healthy #1 pick hes gonna agonize over the decision of nfl qb or taking a design job.

tube517
01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
His decision, not mine. His loss, not mine.

Ya because he can never go back to school. I mean why be a millionaire when you can have a piece of paper. Everyone knows that once you get a college degree you gauranteed success.

steeldawg
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
:coffee:
His decision, not mine. His loss, not mine.

Ok

salamander
01-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I didnt realize there is a "supposed to " time frame on college degrees. last time i checked their value is the same no matter when you get it. I doubt after he gets his degree and hes a healthy #1 pick hes gonna agonize over the decision of nfl qb or taking a design job.

Why can't you just accept the fact that the kid wants to finish school sooner rather than later? I guess you know what's best for other people. My bad. :der:

steeldawg
01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Why can't you just accept the fact that the kid wants to finish school sooner rather than later? I guess you know what's best for other people. My bad. :der:
its not a matter of accepting it i just said its a bad decision im not advising andrew luck just giving my opinion on his decsion.

steeldawg
01-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I think he should go too ITT Tech , I just watched the commercial it looks pretty promising. He could also get a job at enterprise rent a car because they have a great corporate structure and give you the tools to be your own boss!!

BigNastyDefense
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I do not blame him for going back.

First, he enjoys the college life. His family doesn't need him to go pro to bring in money and help support everyone. Even if he were to go pro and come back to earn his degree from Stanford, it wouldn't be the same.

Second, he believes that you go to college to earn your degree. While he can come back and earn it later, it's not always that easy. Classes change, course requirements change. You get out of the habits you need to be in to succeed in college.

Third, he has the chance to win the Heisman Trophy next season and lead Stanford to a BCS Championship. He has the chance to be a legend at Stanford. I feel that is very important to him, and the more power to him.

Fourth, the NFL labor situation is crappy. There will be a rookie wage scale, IMHO. There might not be OTA's, mini camps, or training camp this year. Hell, there might not be a season this year. Not a good year to be entering the National Football League. I doubt he would want to be thrown into the worst team in football this season with no time to learn the offense or work with his team before the season starts if all the preseason is missed.

Fifth, the Carolina Panthers are in disarray. No head coach (and no direction for the offense). No receivers to speak of outside of Steve Smith (who is getting to the final chapters of his career). The defense looked bad last year. The offensive line looked worse. I wouldn't want to be the first overall pick at QB and going to the Panthers.