PDA

View Full Version : Wins -- Cowher vs Tomlin first 4 years

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Found this stat at the very bottom of this article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_716814.html

How interesting wins losses....

DIGITS

43-21: Bill Cowher's regular season record in his first four years.

43-21: Mike Tomlin's regular season record in his first four years.

Steeldude
01-06-2011, 02:28 AM
the difference is cowher made that team into a winner. tomlin was given a team that was already in place to win.

X-Terminator
01-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Ah yes, the "Tomlin is just another Barry Switzer" argument, and that he's really not that good a coach. Like it's HIS fault he inherited a good team. Nevermind that Tomlin drafted Woodley, Timmons, Pouncey, Mendenhall, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and gave Harrison the chance to be great...

Borski
01-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Ah yes, the "Tomlin is just another Barry Switzer" argument, and that he's really not that good a coach. Like it's HIS fault he inherited a good team. Nevermind that Tomlin drafted Woodley, Timmons, Pouncey, Mendenhall, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and gave Harrison the chance to be great...

This!

I don't know what else Tomlin has to do to prove he is a good coach. I think we could be happy that we have a history of good coaches rather then complain about the one we have, when in reality he is a great coach too.

Galax Steeler
01-06-2011, 03:16 AM
I am happy with Tomlin and in my opinion he is a good coach.

CPanther95
01-06-2011, 07:22 AM
1-0 > 0-1

steelpride12
01-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Tomlin came in and yes sure he already had a team to work with, but you can't forget the decisions he made in the draft and the changes that have come from him.

tube517
01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Tomlin should be fired because he only won one Super Bowl. :sarcasm:

SteelGhost
01-06-2011, 09:35 AM

I agree X, I wouldn't like to see "Cowher's team" in Brad Childress' or Tom Cable's hands :no:

IMHO Coach T is very good, he has kept the standard thus far, lol.

GodfatherofSoul
01-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Two very different coaches in two different eras. There are some people who just can't handle seeing him on the sidelines, and I think we all know why. They'd rather lose with Whizenhunt at the reigns.

fansince'76
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Hey, any numbnut can win if they have a roster loaded with talent - just look at Norv Turner and Wade Phillips.

fansince'76
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
the difference is cowher made that team into a winner.

He also stubbornly wasted 5 seasons with Kordell behind center insisting he was "his guy," while squandering at least two trips to the Super Bowl and a good chunk of Bettis' prime in the process. I liked Cowher as a coach, but he had his faults.

Steeldude
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
He also stubbornly wasted 5 seasons with Kordell behind center insisting he was "his guy," while squandering at least two trips to the Super Bowl and a good chunk of Bettis' prime in the process. I liked Cowher as a coach, but he had his faults.

i'm not saying cowher was a brain :)

7SteelGal43
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree X, I wouldn't like to see "Cowher's team" in Brad Childress' or Tom Cable's hands :no:

IMHO Coach T is very good, he has kept the standard thus far, lol.

well SteelGhost, the standard IS the standard after all :rolleyes:

PalmerSteel
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
i dont understand. who doesnt think tomlin is a good coach? all i ever hear from everyone is how great of a coach he is and a hell of a motivator. i would have to agree.

HometownGal
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

Couldn't have said it better myself and SPOT ON.

The Steelers are blessed to have found yet another great coach. His players absolutely LOVE him and it seems the Rooneys second that emotion. We as fans couldn't be luckier imho. :tt02:

BigNastyDefense
01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Exactly.

I wish people would just accept that Mike Tomlin is an extremely good football coach and be happy that we have him and that the Steelers have had only three head coaches since 1969.

We could be the Cleveland Browns who are searching for their fifth head coach since 1999.

tube517
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/47/473643.jpg

i dont understand. who doesnt think tomlin is a good coach? all i ever hear from everyone is how great of a coach he is and a hell of a motivator. i would have to agree.

SteelGhost
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
well SteelGhost, the standard IS the standard after all :rolleyes:

:applaudit:

SMR
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm dang proud to have Tomlin as coach. God bless him!

O'Malley
01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

Couldn't have said it better myself and SPOT ON.

The Steelers are blessed to have found yet another great coach. His players absolutely LOVE him and it seems the Rooneys second that emotion. We as fans couldn't be luckier imho. :tt02::drink::tt02::tt02::amen:

Edman
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I love how people say Tomlin inherited a good team as if the Steelers beforehand were a dominant world-beater stocked with talent.

The Steelers after 2006 had a ton of holes on the Offensive Line and a Defense that was showing signs of age and decay. Joey Porter's production was dropping, and Clark Haggans was Clark Haggans. Tomlin drafted Timmons and Woodley bolstering an aging LB core. James Harrison was FINALLY given a shot and we were rewarded with not only a OLB more dominant than Porter, but one of the dominant LB's we've seen in B&G since the 1990's.

On Offense, Ben Roethlisberger was coming off a season plauged by injuries where he lead the league in interceptions. All we had at RB after Bus retired was Willie Parker and...Najeh Davenport. Tomlin brought in Mendenhall and Isaac Redman for the backfield.

At WR, Randle El was gone and all we had was Hines Ward, mediocre Ced Wilson and a 2nd year Santonio Holmes who showed little signs that he was ready for primetime. Tomlin drafted and brought in Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown in two whole drafts. Potentially solidifying the Steelers WR core for years to come.

Besides, any old dunce can win with a team loaded with talent. I mean look at Wade Phillips and Norv Turner. Tomlin came in did something it took Cowher 16 years to do. He actually WON an AFC Championship game at home for once, and in his fourth year led the 12-4 Steelers on the rebound from a 9-7 campaign last year and back in the running for #7. All after a crazy offseason and being without his franchise QB for the first four games.

JayC
01-06-2011, 07:56 PM
i love coach tomlin. i loved coach cowher. we pick some awesome coaches. that's all i have to say on the subject

Godfather
01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Cowher didn't exactly inherit a bare cupboard...it's just that Noll was running too conservative an offense for the late 1980s/early 1990s and he stubbornly stuck with Bubby at quarterback.

Woodson, Perry, Lake, Lloyd, Dirt, etc. were on the roster when he took over.

fansince'76
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
i love coach tomlin. i loved coach cowher. we pick some awesome coaches. that's all i have to say on the subject

Yep. They have their flaws, naturally, but we've done pretty damn well in the HC department over the last 41 years or so. No real big complaints from me. :thumbsup:

tube517
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, well Chuck Noll had Andy Russell and.....

Cowher didn't exactly inherit a bare cupboard...it's just that Noll was running too conservative an offense for the late 1980s/early 1990s and he stubbornly stuck with Bubby at quarterback.

GoSlash27
01-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't evaluate coaches by anything as simplistic as "wins". That is just as inaccurate as evaluating any of the players by that measure; leaves out all the mitigating factors.
Look at the factors that actually define a coach's performance: Understanding of the overall game, ability to pass that understanding to the players, ability to delegate, ability to lead, and ability to identify and integrate players.
Cowher and Tomlin are 2 very different guys. Both have different strengths and weaknesses, and both are overall winners IMO.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Yes in fact...break it down further...

Staring Roster Cowher's First Season 1992
QB Neil Odenell Drafted in 90
RB Barry Foster Drafted in 90
FB Merrell Hoge Drafted in 89

Receivers were very Thin
WR Dwight Stone
WR Jeff Graham
on the Roster before Cowher got to draft:
WR Yancey Thigpen
WR Ernie Mills
WR Charles Davenport

C Dermontti Dawson
LT John Jackson
LG Duval Love
RG Charlston Haselrig
RT Tunch Ilkin

Its not as if the Cuboard was Bare for Cowher either. He didn't exactly walk into the Expansion Houston Texans or something when he took over the Steelers job.