PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who gets sand in their ass that easily should just not read anything

Doc_Holiday
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
How do rewrite a classic? Any overly-sensitive shit who gets offended by this book is not worth my time and Mark Twain would not stand for this.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/local_news_articles/20110105/Librarian-of-the-Year-disagrees-with-Huckleberry-Finn-edits/

NJarhead
01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
How do rewrite a classic? Any overly-sensitive shit who gets offended by this book is not worth my time and Mark Twain would not stand for this.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/local_news_articles/20110105/Librarian-of-the-Year-disagrees-with-Huckleberry-Finn-edits/

Fucking Libs think they can erase all the bad in the world by using PC, changing old text, providing handouts and banning guns. Fucking pathetic!

UltimateBengal
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
My ex-girlfriend got sand in her vagina once, then I got the crabs!:bananadoggywow: Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about something else!:wink02:

Doc_Holiday
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Fucking Libs think they can erase all the bad in the world by using PC, changing old text, providing handouts and banning guns. Fucking pathetic!

It isn't the libs doing this shit. Lots of religious people have wanted to rewrite classics, ban alcohol and the like all the same.

Here is the author's forward to the book. If you love these stories, do not buy this edition.

http://www.newsouthbooks.com/twain/introduction-alan-gribben-mark-twain-tom-sawyer-huckleberry-finn-newsouth-books.html

tube517
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Bullshit! They should not ever ever touch that classic book. My English teacher in high school, a liberal, even said that we need to understand the context in which the book was written. She taught us like we were adults and we understood. I know she would be pissed at this. This is my favorite all time book. To change it in any edition would destroy it. Plus, Mark Twain was ANTI-slavery. Just a stupid move.

GoSlash27
01-06-2011, 05:58 AM
That really irked me on all fronts. This book is an *ANTI* slavery book. Editing out the racist language will make the slave owners seem less offensive.
I understand why the guy did it, but in effect he merely caved to the pressure of the "let's ban books" club.

Just George
01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
ok just a question. It was stated that offensive use of certain words should be edited out of all literature, plays, manuscripts etc. Should we also go back through the comedy of say, Richard Pryor, or Rap and Hip Hop music and edit those instances too?

HometownGal
01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Guys - I had to edit the title of the thread, as there was a particular word in it that constitutes "vulgarity" which is a NO NO around here unless it is used in the Adult forum.

stlrtruck
01-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Bullshit! They should not ever ever touch that classic book. My English teacher in high school, a liberal, even said that we need to understand the context in which the book was written. She taught us like we were adults and we understood. I know she would be pissed at this. This is my favorite all time book. To change it in any edition would destroy it. Plus, Mark Twain was ANTI-slavery. Just a stupid move.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

This in essence is what has happened to our once proud nation, we became politically correct and began worrying about what was PC so everyone wouldn't get offended. Where has it gotten us? Absolutely no where. We're so worried about offending others and other countries that we have forgotten our true identity.

Examples:
Don't fly the US Flag it might offend an immigrant (an illegal one at that)
Don't talk about gays and homosexuals
Rewrite books to avoid using offensive language (so should we re-write other books to remove the F-word, or maybe re-make old movies to remove violence, drinking, drugs, etc)
Everyone gets a turn, and no body loses

7SteelGal43
01-06-2011, 10:32 AM
ok just a question. It was stated that offensive use of certain words should be edited out of all literature, plays, manuscripts etc. Should we also go back through the comedy of say, Richard Pryor, or Rap and Hip Hop music and edit those instances too?

LOL the entire rap music industry would go under. Oh wait...let me do the rewrite in lyrics for them.

now you CAN use.....

Girl with loose morals

Girl who is very mean

Fella from the hood with dark skin

can you guess which words these new descriptive phrases would replace ? :sofunny:

Just George
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
LOL the entire rap music industry would go under. Oh wait...let me do the rewrite in lyrics for them.

now you CAN use.....

Girl with loose morals

Girl who is very mean

Fella from the hood with dark skin

can you guess which words these new descriptive phrases would replace ? :sofunny:

LOL that is the begining of the official pc lyric dictionary

Borski
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Guys - I had to edit the title of the thread, as there was a particular word in it that constitutes "vulgarity" which is a NO NO around here unless it is used in the Adult forum.

Considering the topic of the thread, thats pretty ironic.:sofunny:

I understand though. :drink:

tube517
01-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting the forward. The teachers who didn't feel "justified" in assigning the books clearly don't know how to properly "teach" the book. My teacher taught us about Mark Twain and his history of anti slavery and anti imperialism. To properly teach this book you have to have the guts to break the book down and maybe even study a little of Twain's essays. They are, IMHO, just half ass teaching the book. If anything, Jim, was one of the most noble characters in literature. That is what I learned and the use of the very ugly n-word only served to make him an even greater character fighting the odds. This and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are must reads for my son, unedited.

I'm not an English major nor do I read as much as I should but the book taught me how to treat people equally (well, except for Cowboys fans).

It isn't the libs doing this shit. Lots of religious people have wanted to rewrite classics, ban alcohol and the like all the same.

Here is the author's forward to the book. If you love these stories, do not buy this edition.

http://www.newsouthbooks.com/twain/introduction-alan-gribben-mark-twain-tom-sawyer-huckleberry-finn-newsouth-books.html

Doc_Holiday
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
So this nimrod is going to use the word "slave" instead. I wonder how the rap community will go about it.

Will NWA change their names to "Slaves With Attitude"?!? They'd have to rewrite have their catalog because the rhyming would be off.

We could great each other now openly with, "Yo! How's my Slave doin?" Wait, still can't be used by Whites. Now what?

"Blazing Saddles" would not be the same if they used "Slave" It just wouldn't be funny.

"...Nobody Move or the Slave gets it." Nope, not funny

Doc_Holiday
01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
This is Twain's response to those bashing this book way back then, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."

suitanim
05-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Strange people, these liberals. "Art as expression" is okay for, oh, say someone like Robert Mapplethorpe, whose works include coprophagia (That's eating of shit, for people who don't know), or Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ", which was nothing but a Crucifix submerged in the "artists" urine, or, ironically, the incredibly exploitative and racist photos Mapplethorpe took of naked black men. But Twain's work wasn't okay the way it was, so IT needs to be changed?

It's a PC world gone mad...