View Full Version : Bires: For Steelers, best offense is good defense

LLT
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Bires: For Steelers, best offense is good defense
Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
Tuesday January 4, 2011 12:10 AM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/04hood_web775000.jpg

PITTSBURGH — As the Steelers continue their pursuit of a return trip to the Super Bowl, they’re doing so with a defense just as stingy and relentless as their defensive unit from 2008.

You may recall what happened that season. The Steelers won the AFC North with a 12-4 record. They ranked No. 1 in total defense and scoring defense.

Linebacker James Harrison earned NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

And the Steelers went on to win Super Bowl XLIII.

Time will tell if the Steelers even make it to Super Bowl XLV in Dallas this season. But based on how well their defense is playing, no one should discount them.

Read More:
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2011/january/04/bires-for-steelers-best-offense-is-good-defense.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Defense will be the key again. I just hope we can get Aaron Smith and Troy healthy for the entire run and that should help our chances.

I still think our offense needs to control the time of possession in the playoffs. I dont care if they run it or throw it, but getting into track meets with the top teams never seems to bode well for the Steelers.

zulater
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Personally I think the key will be to set the tone offensively like we did in the 2005 playoffs assuming the road to the Super Bowl runs through Gillete. We went into Indianappolis and Denver and set the tone with an aggresive offensive game plan, I think that's our only chance against the Pats.

GodfatherofSoul
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
We'll play man just like Green Bay did. Welker looks a lot different with a CB draped all over him.

tube517
01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Agree 100% Zu.

Personally I think the key will be to set the tone offensively like we did in the 2005 playoffs assuming the road to the Super Bowl runs through Gillete. We went into Indianappolis and Denver and set the tone with an aggresive offensive game plan, I think that's our only chance against the Pats.

VTsteel
01-04-2011, 02:53 PM
We'll play man just like Green Bay did. Welker looks a lot different with a CB draped all over him.

Gawd I really do hope so . . . Brady is capable of picking our zone D apart