PDA

View Full Version : Alert: New overtime rules are now in effect

stillers4me
01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
The league’s new postseason overtime rules are now in effect, meaning a field goal on the first possession of overtime doesn’t end the game. Instead, if the team receiving the overtime kickoff kicks a field goal on the first drive, the other team would have a chance to either tie the game with a field goal (at which point it would be sudden death from there) or win the game with a touchdown. A touchdown or safety at any point in overtime would win the game.

Chidi29
01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Randy06
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I too had completely forgot.

fansince'76
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Yep, can't have another "travesty" like the Colts/Bolts game from 2 years ago take place. :rolleyes:

HometownGal
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks Sue - I had forgotten as well.

SteelerEmpire
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Illogial (a 2 pt safety wins, a 3 pt FG does not) but ok good-hell...

fansince'76
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Would have never changed in the first place if Peter King and his ilk didn't pitch a huge shit fit two years ago when the Chargers beat the Colts in OT in a playoff game and the Colts' offense never got on the field during the OT. Kind of ironic when you consider that one of the two or three most important games in NFL history was Unitas guiding the Colts to a sudden death OT win against the Giants in the 1958 NFL Championship Game. But they had to change a rule that worked just fine for 50+ years when Lord Manning was "deprived" a shot in OT of a playoff game because his defense couldn't hold up their end.

tube517
01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Wasn't it because of the Saints/Vikings NFCC game last year that this "issue" really gained momentum? I totally forgot about Colts/Bolts 2 yrs ago.

fansince'76
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Wasn't it because of the Saints/Vikings NFCC game last year that this "issue" really gained momentum? I totally forgot about Colts/Bolts 2 yrs ago.

Yeah, that probably was what finally pushed it over the edge, but it really got a lot of play after the Bolts/Colts game two years ago.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Would have never changed in the first place if Peter King and his ilk didn't pitch a huge shit fit two years ago when the Chargers beat the Colts in OT in a playoff game and the Colts' offense never got on the field during the OT. Kind of ironic when you consider that one of the two or three most important games in NFL history was Unitas guiding the Colts to a sudden death OT win against the Giants in the 1958 NFL Championship Game. But they had to change a rule that worked just fine for 50+ years when Lord Manning was "deprived" a shot in OT of a playoff game because his defense couldn't hold up their end.

Couldn't have said it better myself. They should change the AFC and NFC to the Brady and Manning Conferences.

fansince'76
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. They should change the AFC and NFC to the Brady and Manning Conferences.

It's Brady's and Manning's league - all the other players just play in it.

steelreserve
01-03-2011, 11:20 PM

I think that's because a safety gives you 2 points and the ball. And also means that your opponent already had a possession to make it "fair."

But yeah... pretty stupid rule based on crybaby horseshit and QB ballwashing. I don't think anyone would have been pissing and moaning if the teams that got "robbed" of a chance in overtime were QBed by, say, Trent Dilfer and Jeff Garcia instead of Manning and Favre.

Seriously. You don't like sudden death, then win the fucking game in regulation.

GodfatherofSoul
01-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Give each team a guaranteed possession in OT. Problem solved.

Galax Steeler
01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
I guess it is like everything else we will have to get used to it.

Craic
01-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Actually, I think it is an excellent rule, and wonder why they don't implement it in the reg. season. The other method, would be to remove fieldgoals in OT. But that would probably end up with too many ties.

NCSteeler
01-04-2011, 03:46 AM
One more KNEE JERK reaction by the league and the competition committee. We don't need to react to every one off occurrence(7-9 making playoffs) it just ends up making stupid rules. This season there were I believe 19 OT games and a grand total of 3 of them were won in one possession. Doesn't really scream need for change.

CPanther95
01-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Would love it if the Colts and NE both kick a FG in OT in their first playoff game and lose.

venom
01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Me forget

venom
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Would love it if the Colts and NE both kick a FG in OT in their first playoff game and lose.

Couldn't ask for anything more than that , lol ( besides a Steelers 7th )

Moose
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the reminder..... I forgot also. IF that happened it looks like a hell of a lot of us would have been sitting there wondering what the hell is going on !!! LOL

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Personally I hate the rule. That's one thing that makes NFL Games great. It's like the old saying goes, if the Defense can't prevent the offense from scoring, that's their fault. If you want to get the ball so bad in overtime, prevent the other team from scoring. It's as simple as that.

CPanther95
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
My favorite idea was the one where both teams submit a secret bid to the referee declaring at what yard line they are willing to accept the ball on offense. Whoever picks the furthest point back gets the ball. Then normal sudden death rules apply.

XxKnightxX
01-05-2011, 01:35 AM
The whole thought of "if the defense cant stop the offense then its their fault" is no longer a valid one because all this friggin rules that if you stain the skirt of the QB or WR then they get a 80 yard penalty and the game is over by then.

steeldevil
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Got this off ESPNs site, pretty funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/110106&sportCat=nfl

JayC
01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
this rule would never happen if the steelers were the ones that never touched the field in a playoff OT but ofc if it's manning, farve, marsha they get rule changes like this to happen. nonetheless, i don't mind the rule because i never was a fan of the coin toss playing a factor in who probably wins so i can't really hate on it.

stillers4me
01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Scenario 8: The Bengals take the opening kickoff and … wait … no … sorry. There's no point to this one, really, not after watching the most horrific thing I've seen all season: Tuesday's news conference with borderline delusional owner Mike Brown sitting next to Marvin Lewis after he had just, basically, sold his soul by agreeing to return to the team. (Granted, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson didn't come off looking much better in his presser.) Lewis, you'll remember, had sworn he would bolt if serious upgrades were not made to, among other things, the Bengals' woeful mom-'n'-pop scouting department. "I think we do all right," Brown responded. According to The Cincinnati Enquirer, Brown has lost 200 games faster than any other owner in NFL history and is 25 games under .500 in the past 10 years. Look, that's not "all right." That's pathetic and sickening and enough evidence, I think, that the league should consider stepping in and finally doing something, anything. Bengals lose … again.

Scenario 9: A blitzing James Harrison tips a pass from Peyton Manning on the Colts' first possession of OT in an AFC divisional matchup. Troy Polamalu dives, catches the ball, rolls, gets up and returns it 46 yards for a touchdown. Steelers win.

:lol:

Craic
01-06-2011, 08:11 PM
One more KNEE JERK reaction by the league and the competition committee. We don't need to react to every one off occurrence(7-9 making playoffs) it just ends up making stupid rules. This season there were I believe 19 OT games and a grand total of 3 of them were won in one possession. Doesn't really scream need for change.

Not sure how this can be a kneejerk reaction when it has been discussed since 2001. (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=LH&s_site=kentucky&p_multi=LH&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0F7DBDD5666BA1E5&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM)