stillers4me
12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
NFL's statement reducing 3 "flagrant hit" fines:

http://www.whosay.com/ChrisMortensen/content/9959?code=srH66a

I don't think this is exactly what James had in mind when he appealed it. :hmm:

Chidi29
12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Better than nothing.

Though I had heard a couple weeks ago he lost his appeals.

tube517
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Agreed that it's better than nothing. I wasn't expecting any reduction at all.

Where do I get my $1 back :sarcasm2:

ALLD
12-30-2010, 05:31 PM
It's still a scam based on the facts.

BigPoppaG
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Better than nothing.

I read it like this. James Harrison Appeals a hit and nothing happens.

Dunta Robinson and Brandon Meriweather appeal a hit and they get a reduction.

Unfortunately for the NFL they now GOTTA reduce Harrisons fine since the hits are the same.

Yeah......they don't have a Target on Harrison.:rolleyes:

Devilsdancefloor
12-30-2010, 06:39 PM
The Merriweather hit was the only out of the 3 that was ILLEGAL!! if anything it should have been A LOT more

fansince'76
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
See my sig! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
What a joke. James doesn't give a flying hoot about the money, as it's a drop in the bucket to him. He wants to play the game the way it was meant to be played - the way he was taught from a wee pup. If this were Jack Lambert, he would personally shove that $25,000 discount up Goodumbell's ass - dollar bill by dollar bill.

GoSlash27
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice. So now instead of a $75k bullshit fine it's a $50k bullshit fine.

Psycho Ward 86
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Roger Goodell's pussing out now? lol

venom
12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Merry Christmas

Chidi29
12-30-2010, 10:10 PM
I read it like this. James Harrison Appeals a hit and nothing happens.

Dunta Robinson and Brandon Meriweather appeal a hit and they get a reduction.

Unfortunately for the NFL they now GOTTA reduce Harrisons fine since the hits are the same.

Yeah......they don't have a Target on Harrison.:rolleyes:

They wouldn't go back and revisit the appeal if it had already been denied. There was clearly some misreporting earlier.

You are looking at it with black and gold glasses.

They didn't have to do anything. If Goodell is out to get Harrison as you guys make him out to be, he would've kept the fine the same. And he could have justified it no problem.

You guys have it so ingrained that the NFL is out to get Harrison and the rest of the team that nothing they do will seem just.

X-Terminator
12-30-2010, 10:23 PM

This.

silver & black
12-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Why do you guys care so much about the fines? You aint payin' em'. Harrison still plays the same way. If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be saying "Hell yeah!... keep them fines comin' and Harrison will keep crushin' em'!" Maybe that's just the Raider in me???

Devilsdancefloor
12-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Why do you guys care so much about the fines? You aint payin' em'. Harrison still plays the same way. If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be saying "Hell yeah!... keep them fines comin' and Harrison will keep crushin' em'!" Maybe that's just the Raider in me???

Actually he did play afew games different check out the miami game. Plus he would get the "repeat offender tag" and get suspended THAT is the only reason i am not say HELL YEAH!

steelreserve
12-30-2010, 11:46 PM
If this were Jack Lambert, he would personally shove that $25,000 discount up Goodumbell's ass - dollar bill by dollar bill.

I disagree. About the dollar bill part, not the shoving it up his ass part. Lambert would've paid it in pennies.

steelerdude15
12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
It's the only positive thing to come out of this.

SteelerFanInStl
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
The fact that they reduced Meriweather's fine too makes this complete BS.

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 10:35 AM

The fines matter because Der Comissar is attempting to strongarm real football out of existence regardless of what the rules say. As a Raiders fan, I'm sure you can understand why that's troubling. $75k, $50k, or just $1 makes no difference. Harrison got fined and warned for *playing within the rules* because Goodell wants to appear to promote player safety without actually doing anything solid (such as CHANGING THE RULES).
It's arbitrary, counter-productive, ameteur horseshit.
/ well it is...

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
The fines matter because Der Comissar is attempting to strongarm real football out of existence regardless of what the rules say. As a Raiders fan, I'm sure you can understand why that's troubling. $75k, $50k, or just $1 makes no difference. Harrison got fined and warned for *playing within the rules* because Goodell wants to appear to promote player safety without actually doing anything solid (such as CHANGING THE RULES).
/ well it is...

And if he changed the rules mid-season, there would be a group with pitchforks and torches around his house.

Heck, if he changes the rules at all, you guys will call him, to steal a line from Ed Rendell, "wussifying" the league.

Butch
12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Better than nothing.

Yeah I heard the same thing funny how they review other players fines and then back peddles on Harrison's fine aint it. Funny also how the hits against Ben, and Hines are not penalized with the same vigor. Hell Dickweed from the raiders punches Ben and gets jack squat for taking a blatant cheap shot. No the NFL really doesn't have a thing against the Steelers not REALLY...yeah right. Bull Shit!!!

Butch
12-31-2010, 11:34 AM

Because they aint the same through out the league so it is a blatant show by the league of trying to intimidate the Steelers. If it was across the board we would be joined by more than just Steeler Nation.

Your raiders take a cheap shot at Ben and get crappola while James hits a WR who goes low to retrieve a bobbled ball and gets a massive fine.

As for your assertion about the same thing happening against the raiders remember those are the same raiders who thumbed their noses at the NFL and moved their team to L.A. and then back to Oakland. At least there is some logic to it (not that I agree with it), what in the Hell did the Steelers do to bring on this wrath??? We had to break up our ownership for some bullshit reasons of gambling and NFL and we didn't fight it we complied, yet we still have to deal with this Horse shit all the same.

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah I heard the same thing funny how they review other players fines and then back peddles on Harrison's fine aint it. Funny also how the hits against Ben, and Hines are not penalized with the same vigor. Hell Dickweed from the raiders punches Ben and gets jack squat for taking a blatant cheap shot. No the NFL really doesn't have a thing against the Steelers not REALLY...yeah right. Bull Shit!!!

I'm glad fans are being rational today...

Maybe he lost the appeal for the other fines? The one on Brees. I know he appealed that one.

There's no way they backpeddled on this one. I assume these three were reviewed at the same time since they happened in the same week.

Relatively speaking, Seymour got a high fine for his hit on Ben.

stlrtruck
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
And if he changed the rules mid-season, there would be a group with pitchforks and torches around his house.

Heck, if he changes the rules at all, you guys will call him, to steal a line from Ed Rendell, "wussifying" the league.

Yep you're right. I believe that there is a certain way to play the game and when you mask rule changes with the mentality of 'player safety' yet fail to apply those changes across the board, you change the way the game is played for certain players who play the game within the current rules just a little more aggressively than others. I'm not speaking specifically about Steelers players either.

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Yep you're right. I believe that there is a certain way to play the game and when you mask rule changes with the mentality of 'player safety' yet fail to apply those changes across the board, you change the way the game is played for certain players who play the game within the current rules just a little more aggressively than others. I'm not speaking specifically about Steelers players either.

And this shows that the NFL can't win.

You have your opinion and it's fine. Butch has his, that the rules should be changed if you're going to make changes, and that's fine too.

The problem is the NFL is screwed either way. They're not going to make everyone happy. Heck, they probably won't even make half of the people happy. A very difficult spot to be in and the precise reason why they should ignore fans' complaints, mine included.

Butch
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm glad fans are being rational today...

Maybe he lost the appeal for the other fines? The one on Brees. I know he appealed that one.

There's no way they backpeddled on this one. I assume these three were reviewed at the same time since they happened in the same week.

Relatively speaking, Seymour got a high fine for his hit on Ben.

Based on the article that was presented it states that the other fines were reviewed and reduced then they decided to reduce the fine to James that's a back peddle if I ever saw one!!! James appealed his fines and Rooney went with him and they were told to shut up and color.

Speaking of Reality "Maybe"??? Just sayin'.

As for Seymour it was a cheap shot intended to intimidate no different than a big hit that makes the highlight films, but the one that makes the highlights is within the spirit of the game while the other is not.

Also completely agree with DevilsDanceFloor the one by Merriweather was the one that should have been fined the most it was blatant cheap shot as well.

Butch
12-31-2010, 12:11 PM

You have your opinion and it's fine. Butch has his, that the rules should be changed if you're going to make changes, and that's fine too.

The problem is the NFL is screwed either way. They're not going to make everyone happy. Heck, they probably won't even make half of the people happy. A very difficult spot to be in and the precise reason why they should ignore fans' complaints, mine included.

Let's be clear here I am right there with stlrtruck in that the rules are not applied across the board. Where are the fines for the hits to Hines and Ben notice I said hits not a single one fined. HMMM!!!

BTW they don't flag for hits on Vick either so it's not just us, but we have seen more than most others.

stlrtruck
12-31-2010, 12:15 PM

I believe the NFL could reduce the number of complaints from fans if they did the following three things:

1) Hire officials full time

2) Train officials during the off-season and review every game during the week before the next game. We have the technology to cut the game film back to calls that should have been made and calls that were made. It would reduce the number of inconsistent calls across the board, and increase the understanding of the rules

3) Establish a standard fine system. And while a player can appeal his fine, the amount would be set according to the system. This can be established in the next CBA and continually reviewed by a panel of players and assigned team representatives (coach, gm, etc).

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Rightly so, IMO. I'm not advocating changing the rules, but even that would be preferable to pretending the rules are different than they are. Thanks to Goodell, we now have "rules" that cannot be taught, enforced, or obeyed.

And yes, the Steelers are being targetted. Not because of some wacky conspiracy, but simply because Harrison had the nerve to push back and the Steelers backed him instead of meekly accepting Goodell's arbitrary micromanagement.

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Based on the article that was presented it states that the other fines were reviewed and reduced then they decided to reduce the fine to James that's a back peddle if I ever saw one!!! James appealed his fines and Rooney went with him and they were told to shut up and color.

Speaking of Reality "Maybe"??? Just sayin'.

As for Seymour it was a cheap shot intended to intimidate no different than a big hit that makes the highlight films, but the one that makes the highlights is within the spirit of the game while the other is not.

Also completely agree with DevilsDanceFloor the one by Merriweather was the one that should have been fined the most it was blatant cheap shot as well.

I think you're getting too much out of a paragraph of information and that's a bit of a leap to make.

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I believe the NFL could reduce the number of complaints from fans if they did the following three things:

2) Train officials during the off-season and review every game during the week before the next game. We have the technology to cut the game film back to calls that should have been made and calls that were made. It would reduce the number of inconsistent calls across the board, and increase the understanding of the rules

3) Establish a standard fine system. And while a player can appeal his fine, the amount would be set according to the system. This can be established in the next CBA and continually reviewed by a panel of players and assigned team representatives (coach, gm, etc).

I completely agree. For the record, I have not called the system perfect. I have suggested ideas of my own as to improve the calls made by the refs. I'm all for reforming the system in place to make it work as well as possible.

Butch
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
I think you're getting too much out of a paragraph of information and that's a bit of a leap to make.

At least I'm basing them on the article presented and it is all right there not a leap at all, you seem to base yours on maybe and opinion, I agree to disagree.

What about the across the board fines for the hits on Hines, Ben, and Vick???

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
At least I'm basing them on the article presented and it is all right there not a leap at all, you seem to base yours on maybe and opinion, I agree to disagree.

I'm basing it on what makes sense logically.

All the fines were issued in the same week.

They were all appealed in the same week.

They would be looked at in the same week by the appeals commitee.

Chidi29
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM

And as for the fines, I am upset in the inconsistency.

Which is why I wrote in one of my editorals, "When Worlds Collide", that the NFL needs to create consistency and a feeling of clarity among players in order for the crackdown to run as smoothly as possible.

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
And as for the fines, I am upset in the inconsistency.

Which is why I wrote in one of my editorals, "When Worlds Collide", that the NFL needs to create consistency and a feeling of clarity among players in order for the crackdown to run as smoothly as possible.

That's what *I'm* saying. There is no "consistency and clarity" because the new "rules" aren't rules. Nobody has the foggiest idea what they are or how to enforce, teach, or obey them. All they know is that if they play the game 100% in compliance with the rules as written, they may or may not get flagged, penalized, and perhaps suspended depending on who's getting hit and who's doing the hitting.
If we want to change some things in order to safeguard the players, that's fine... but this current "solution" is a disaster.

silver & black
12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
/ well it is...

I agree about the fines, per se. I just don't understand why the $$$ amount pisses you guys off so much. Like you said... $75k or $1... it's still a fine for a bullshit reason. I also agree that the Steelers have been chosen to be the poster child for Goodell's "lesson" to the league. It sucks... and I have to say, I'm happy it's you and not us, for a change. :chuckle:

I suppose that because I'm a Raiders fan of some years, I'm used to being treated differently than the rest of the league. I guess I'm kinda numb to the league's bullshit... and I just don't care that much about another team or their fans grumbling about what Raider Nation has had to endure for decades.

silver & black
12-31-2010, 03:23 PM

That's a great proposal, and one I whole heartedly agree with. Unfortunately, it will never happen. If the league was to implement those changes, there would be no loophole for Goodell to escape through when he singles out a certain player or team on a whim. It would also put an end to the leagues foot on the Raiders' throat... and they aren't about to let that happen.

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 03:42 PM
I agree about the fines, per se. I just don't understand why the $$$ amount pisses you guys off so much. Like you said... $75k or $1... it's still a fine for a bullshit reason.
That's what I was getting at with my first post. I *don't* care what the dollar amount is.

I also agree that the Steelers have been chosen to be the poster child for Goodell's "lesson" to the league. It sucks... and I have to say, I'm happy it's you and not us, for a change. :chuckle:
Hey, we weren't "chosen" for this. We were just the ones who refused to go along/ get along.

I suppose that because I'm a Raiders fan of some years, I'm used to being treated differently than the rest of the league. I guess I'm kinda numb to the league's bullshit... and I just don't care that much about another team or their fans grumbling about what Raider Nation has had to endure for decades.

Way to attempt to turn this into a Raider fan pity-party. Your team sucks because your front office sucks because your owner is senile. No tin-foil conspiracies necessary to explain that. Despite all the monkeying from on-high, we are still going to the playoffs this year. And Harrison is going to the Pro-bowl. Your guys couldn't even win AFC West. You couldn't even register a winning season.

/legit complaints <> excuses

silver & black
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Way to attempt to turn this into a Raider fan pity-party. Your team sucks because your front office sucks because your owner is senile. No tin-foil conspiracies necessary to explain that. Despite all the monkeying from on-high, we are still going to the playoffs this year. And Harrison is going to the Pro-bowl. Your guys couldn't even win AFC West. You couldn't even register a winning season. /legit complaints <> excuses

Right. There was no attempt to make this a "Raider fan pitty party"... if that's what you got out of it, maybe your comprehension skills could use some honing.

My team sucks... it's not a secret, but thanks for the information, just the same.

Harrison is going to the Probowl....LOL! So what? If it meant something, I might be impressed. The Probowl is a joke... the fan voting is a joke... who gives a rat's ass who goes or not?

Ya know, I always post respectfully on here. I don't deride your team, your players or your fans. I do try to interject a different view of things from an opposing fan's vantage point... while trying to do it in a respectful way. Sometimes, I probably don't accomplish it with as much aplomb as I had hoped. If that's what happened here, I apologize. I'll also refrain from ever posting here again if you good people would rather I just get lost.

VTsteel
12-31-2010, 04:10 PM

exactly

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Right. There was no attempt to make this a "Raider fan pitty party"... if that's what you got out of it, maybe your comprehension skills could use some honing.

My team sucks... it's not a secret, but thanks for the information, just the same.

Harrison is going to the Probowl....LOL! So what? If it meant something, I might be impressed. The Probowl is a joke... the fan voting is a joke... who gives a rat's ass who goes or not?

Ya know, I always post respectfully on here. I don't deride your team, your players or your fans. I do try to interject a different view of things from an opposing fan's vantage point... while trying to do it in a respectful way. Sometimes, I probably don't accomplish it with as much aplomb as I had hoped. If that's what happened here, I apologize. I'll also refrain from ever posting here again if you good people would rather I just get lost.

You don't have to go away mad. Hell, you don't even have to go away. But your imagined conspiracy theories about "what Raider Nation has had to endure for decades" have absolutely nothing to do with this topic.
And the reason I mentioned the Pro Bowl is to illustrate the difference between our mindsets. Harrison was unfairly targetted, but he didn't let that stop him. *Nothing* can stop a player that is properly instructed, capable and motivated. He made it despite the bullshit penalties and fines, just like the rest of the Steelers. When we comment on this stuff, it's because the situation is inherently wrong and needs fixed. We still understand that the difference between winning and losing is in our hands. Not the league, not the officials, and not the opponents.
So in the future please don't degrade that by attempting to equate it with your excuses for why the Raiders suck.

Your team has a history of being a tough physical team. Your fan base has a tradition of loyalty and fanaticism. I respect both of those facts and hope the Raiders stop sucking some day.
/ so long as they don't stop sucking against us ;)

silver & black
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
You don't have to go away mad. Hell, you don't even have to go away. But your imagined conspiracy theories about "what Raider Nation has had to endure for decades" have absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Hmmm... kind of like Steeler fans' imaginged conspiracy theories?

It isn't worth trying to explain, so I'll just let it be......

Devilsdancefloor
12-31-2010, 05:00 PM
guys take a deep breath its alright... thanks. plus no one should go anywhere the raiders had put up with a bunch of crap as well there room of oh we are sorry letters from the NFL is just as big or bigger than the steelers room. I dont like the raiders, but man look at this way there is a lot of respect for them for the wars in the 70's.

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Hmmm... kind of like Steeler fans' imaginged conspiracy theories?

It isn't worth trying to explain, so I'll just let it be......

It's not that it's not worth trying to explain. It's that your cheap ad hominem isn't worth reading.
/ the day *I* post a conspiracy theory blaming the refs for our failures is the day *you* get to play that card.

GoSlash27
12-31-2010, 05:10 PM
DDF,
As I said upstream, I respect the Raiders fanbase and history. I even like having him around and I'm pretty sure I've repped him in the past.

But he's not gonna cheapen this discussion by attempting to equate our legitimate complaints with his pathetic excuses without me commenting on it.

silver & black
01-01-2011, 01:26 AM
DDF,
As I said upstream, I respect the Raiders fanbase and history. I even like having him around and I'm pretty sure I've repped him in the past.

But he's not gonna cheapen this discussion by attempting to equate our legitimate complaints with his pathetic excuses without me commenting on it.

Excuses? Excuses for what? And what, exactly am I cheapening? ... And who says your complaints are legitimate... you?

You and your fan base have no clue what it's like to be hated by the very league you play in. To be cheated and conspired against at any and every turn. There is no team in this league that has had more bullshit thrown against them... none!

You and your bretheren can just keep whining about what you believe to be such injustices against you. You have no clue what injustice really feels like. You have had ONE f***ing year of being front and center as the league's "target". Boo hoo. Like I said... try decades of it. Then, get back to me, and let me know how it tastes.

Mach1
01-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Excuses? Excuses for what? And what, exactly am I cheapening? ... And who says your complaints are legitimate... you?

You and your fan base have no clue what it's like to be hated by the very league you play in. To be cheated and conspired against at any and every turn. There is no team in this league that has had more bullshit thrown against them... none!

You and your bretheren can just keep whining about what you believe to be such injustices against you. You have no clue what injustice really feels like. You have had ONE f***ing year of being front and center as the league's "target". Boo hoo. Like I said... try decades of it. Then, get back to me, and let me know how it tastes.

coughcoughtukcough

:wink02:

GoSlash27
01-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Either I'm not explaining the situation very well or you're not reading me. This ain't about "us", it's about the game. We understand that when something comes down that affects the outcome of one of our games, it is ultimately *our* fault for allowing the game to be close enough for that stuff to matter. What we're talking about here is a completely incoherent and arbitrary policy that's hampering defenses all around the league, the Oakland Raiders included.

silver & black
01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
coughcoughtukcough

:wink02:
:chuckle: :drink: