PDA

View Full Version : Clutch ? New Role For Wallace: Short Pass, Long Run

SteelerEmpire
12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
He's the fastest man in the NFL. Defender's are playing off 10-15 yds most of the time. He's trying to get out of that "one-trick pony " persona.
The Steelers had a couple of games of note this year (Saints and Jets) in which they were on a final drive to try to come back and win games in which the final result was, well - - fail. We know, as veteran Steelers fans, that in the recent past (actually, when Holmes was here) we would have 'more than likely' came back and won those games on that final drive... as we had gotten use to doing it... we had gotten good at it.
I don't know what the play calling was on those drives, but I'm willing to bet that Wallace was sent deep (and right into a forest of defenders) more often than not.
Now, like Holmes had, and as of lately, Wallace is developing another "killing machine" in his arsenal of threats... the "run after the catch". An ability he showed to the max with both the Raiders and Panthers.
If the Arians (and this may be wishful thinking) can design or incorporate more plays to get Wallace short passes AND allow him at least 5-10 yds were he can build up speed, I say he will take it to the house more often than not ! ITS LIKE THE DEFENSE IS STANDING STILL NEXT TO HIM !!! And, at the very least, results in a big play ! ... VERY useful in those clutch, last drive situations in which the team seems to find itself in all too frequently from the habit of "playing down" to our opponents.
So the theme of this post: DEVELOP the art of the short pass to Mike Wallace... the profits SHOULD be enormous !!!