PDA

View Full Version : Week 16 Thoughts

Chidi29
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
A boring win. Nice to see one of those. Hasn't happened in awhile. Now we have to take care of business in Cleveland and we'll get some much-needed rest.

First Half
- Suisham's times: 3.7 (5), 3.65 (6 - ret to 40), 3.96 (12), 3.9 (11), 3.86 (1), 3.97 (10).

- In Battle's absence, we moved Worilds to L1 and put Keenan Lewis, active for the first time in a couple of week, to R1.

- Had Mundy at strong safety after playing free safety last week. Seems like a vote of confidence and he had a good game. Looked fine coming up to play the run and had another breakup in coverage.

- Carolina had success on their first drive. We hurt ourselves with some missed tackles but credit to the Panthers for getting a good push. Especially Jordan Gross, their best lineman. He was a one-man wrecking ball.

- Mendenhall's first carry. All him. Play is supposed to go off tackle to the right. Penetration by a DT causes Mendenhall to reverse direction, make a LB miss, and bust off a big run.

- Scott was rightfully chewed out. Horrible first drive. Missed cut blocks twice. It was the same attempted block as the one that led to the safety against the Jets. You know they had to have worked on that a ton in practice and Scott still couldn't execute. He got blown back once in pass protection, and couldn't hold his block on an end that resulted in a one-yard loss.

- Was good to see Tomlin calmly talk to him after Kugler yelled and Scott was visibly frustrated, tossing his helmet to the bench.

- Even without Troy, we're still bringing safties up to play the run. It seems to bite us the first or second time we do it, but we "settle in" and it becomes effective.

- Excellent job by Farrior to get off Goodson's block on the 4th down draw by Clausen.

- Just playing a little pitch and catch on Wallace's TD because of Ben's and Wallace's ability to read coverage. They see the corner blitz, Wallace gets his head around immediately, and Ben hits him.

- Carolina could have had a very long kickoff return. It looks like Ike Taylor gets out of his lane. He's normally the outside contain guy but comes down inside. Luckilly for him, Madison is able to fight off a block and stop Goodson from running free down the sideline.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vi3yp0.jpg

That's Ike at the 26 northwest of where Gay is at. You can see him taking a pretty sharp angle to the inside. I normally see the contain guys pull up around the 30 and just watch the return man and make sure to keep the play to the inside.

http://i55.tinypic.com/say4io.jpg

Here you can see Ike now underneath Goodson and having to chase him. A contain man should never do that if he's doing his job properly. And you can see that if Madison doesn't get off his block, Goodson has a lot of green ahead of him.

- Might have been the first miscure on the exchange on a snap under center between Pouncey and the QB all year. And it wasn't Pouncey's fault.

- Ben did a really good job of manipulating Carolina's defense. Exploited blitzes, got the defense to tip their hand, and drew them offsides. Again, I'm impressed of what Ben is doing mentally.

- Over the middle to Heath at least three times, all completions. Also threw in a TE screen.

- Worth noting that we didn't pull Kemo again after Scott came back on the second drive of the game until 2:40 left in the half.

- Another instance of Ben and the WR being on the same page. Play before the two minute warning. Panthers had eight in the box, heavy blitz look. Sanders is on the outside with the corner playing off. Almost right after the snap, Manny gets his head around and Ben hits him on the slant. Down at the one foot line.

- Larry Foote ran over a Panther covering a kick and also chipped in on the tackle.

- Ben said the most impressive thing from Wallace was coming back to a deep ball and making the catch.

- What a forced fumble by Fox! Getting blocked and still is able to pry the ball loose from Goodson.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1268kdz.jpg

Second Half
- I still see Moore as the upback on kick returns.

- Flozell's penalties have increased recently. At least three in the past two games.

- Not a fan of QB draws. Less of a fan of them in the red zone. Even less of a fan of them when your QB is being held together by rubber bands and duct tape. Get it out of the playbook.

- Interesting that Tomlin challenged a ball spot when he talked about how unlikely it is to get those type of calls overturned in his Tuesday press conference before the game.

- Brown had a rough day returning punts. Got too close to a ball he wasn't trying to catch and it jumped into his chest. Didn't call for a fair catch on a high, short punt with a bunch of Panthers around him, and lost a good chunk of yards on another return.

- As others have said, disappointing it took three tries to punch it in from the one.

- Keisel batted down yet another pass. Beard must help his vertical.

- Have to laugh at James ricocheting the ball a good 15 yards back on a deflecting.

- Farrior got taken out late in the 3rd quarter. Didn't return and Foote replaced him.

- Hood with a good pass rush. A sack and at least one hurry/knockdown.

- Legursky and Essex replaced Kemoeatu at LG and Adams at RT respectively late in the game.

- Redman with two fumbles. Yuck.

- Ran more toss plays against Carolina than we did in 2009. It seemed like that, at least.

- Eason had a good amount of snaps. MCL must be feeling good.

- We had just one pull play in the second half. Jonathan Scott will continue to start at LT and I'm more concerned than ever.

Those trap blocks are our bread and butter. We've been running it all year. It'd put a lot of strain on our running game if we took that out. The few times we did pull, Pouncey immediately blocked down to his left as he did last week. But it only works out well when the DT is shaded to his left, playing the gap rather than being lined up over him. Makes it easier to block the DT to the left obviously and fill that gap. But when we face an odd defense with the NT lined up over center, such as playing a team like Baltimore or New England or heck, Cleveland on Sunday, we might not be able to pull at all. I think we're making a huge mistake by leaving Scott in the lineup. Moreso than I've thought the past couple weeks.

Sacks
1. 3rd and 18, 12:19 left in the 2nd: Shotgun, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. Ben is able to get the Panthers to show where the pressure is coming from. They have only three down lineman with one lineman roaming. He's able to get the lineman to show he's going to try to split the RG and RT. It actually ends up being a stunt with the roaming DL trying to crash late and get the RG's attention so he doesn't see the LE loop around through the "C" gap. But the pre-snap recognition lets Foster digest the play and he is able to see the stunt. Unfortuantely, the end, Charles Johnson, gets underneath him and throws Foster aside.

2. 2nd and 10, :12 left in the 2nd: Shotgun, 4 WR, 1 RB. No one open. Ben tries to buy time, but he gets taken down. Just got the timeout off in time before the half ended. A situation where Ben needs to throw the ball away.

3. 3rd and 6, 12:00 left in the 4th: Shotgun, 4 WR, 1 RB. They bring four and throw a couple of stunts at us which we do a good job of picking up. Doesn't look like anyone is open downfield. Good coverage from Carolina.

Sack Counter (Week)
Ramon Foster: 1
Ben Roethlisberger: 1
Coverage: 1

Sack Counter (Year)
Ben Roethlisberger: 6
Maurkice Pouncey: 4.5
Ramon Foster: 4.5
Jonathan Scott: 4
Flozell Adams: 3.5
Coverage: 3
Chris Kemoeatu: 1.5
Wide Receivers: 1.5
Dennis Dixon: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Rashard Mendenhall: 1
Defensive Scheme: 1
Heath Miller: .5
Mewelde Moore: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Injuries
Jason Worilds suffered a knee injury. He has some swelling. Looks like he dodged a bullet because it seemed pretty serious, but Tomlin didn't sound hopeful about his chances playing against Cleveland because he's a young guy. He said the same about Antonio Brown at one point. Brown did not play that week.

Mewelde Moore has a knee sprain. Likely will not play Week 17.

Ryan Mundy suffered a stinger. He's fine.

Troy will practice on Friday. Tomlin will take it from there.

McFadden has a hamstring. He shouldn't miss any time.

Documentation
Empty: 11
Pony: 1
FB: 12

tube517
12-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Excellent analysis again.

- Was good to see Tomlin calmly talk to him after Kugler yelled and Scott was visibly frustrated, tossing his helmet to the bench.

"Such is life in the NFL...just defend your blades of grass next time around. The standard is the standard."

Chidi29
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Excellent analysis again.

"Such is life in the NFL...just defend your blades of grass next time around. The standard is the standard."

LOL!

He pulled the "such is life" line when asked if he got everything he wanted for Christmas.

I wonder what the conversation at the dinner table is like. :chuckle:

Wallace108
12-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Awesome analysis as always, Chidi. After a game, I'm lucky if I can remember the score.