PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Few, if any, signs of rivalry

Galax Steeler
12-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Mike Tomlin tried. He tried real hard Tuesday to push two points at his weekly news conference.

Point one, he talked about the 2010 Cleveland Browns as if they were the 1964 Browns, the last major Cleveland sports team to win a championship.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10363/1114033-66.stm#ixzz19Uoka2xb

HometownGal
12-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Though I don't consider the Steelers/Browns the fierce rivalry it once was, I still see playing them as a rivalry of sorts and there is still a pretty heated rivalry amongst Steelers and Browns fans which goes back over 50 years.

I feel this is going to be an extremely intense game and both teams are going to be on fire when they run out onto that field, but there can only be one winner and that winner will be the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt03:

BuddhaBus
12-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Though I don't consider the Steelers/Browns the fierce rivalry it once was, I still see playing them as a rivalry of sorts and there is still a pretty heated rivalry amongst Steelers and Browns fans which goes back over 50 years.

I feel this is going to be an extremely intense game and both teams are going to be on fire when they run out onto that field, but there can only be one winner and that winner will be the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt03:

It may not be the rivalry it once was, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Holmgren is going to finally right that ship and re-ignite it. He's got a good start with McCoy, Hillis, Haden and some others. He just needs to pick up a few more pieces via the draft and free agency and a solid head coach to turn that team into a contender. I think we'll see a rebirth of that rivalry in about 2 years if not sooner.

Crow-Magnon
12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
C'mon, man! That rivalry will never reclaim its former status! A new rivalry raised up like a phoenix (well, a Raven) and took it's place.

GoSlash27
12-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Tomlin may as well not waste his time. The hammer doesn't have a "rivalry" with the nail. This game is for the division and our standing (as well as Baltimore's) in the playoffs. That should be all the motivation we need.

LLT
12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
The rivalry that Steelers fans feel towards Browns fans is inherited. It is passed down through Steeler and Brown "families"...from those who remembered a different team then the Brownies field now. Its not surprising that some of the younger fans and even the current players dont "own" that sense of rivalry.

Simply put....Steelers fans whose love of the team come from a family tradition will probably "get it". Those of us who are displaced Steeler fans and who have embraced the Steelers history might "get it".

A casual fan and even a young diehard fan who chose the Steelers early in life may not. Current players on both sides probably dont "get it".....at least not in the way that the crazed fans do.

GoSlash27
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
LLT,
Actually, I think Crow nailed it. Baltimore stole the Browns and spray-painted them purple, so that's the rivalry now. The replacement Browns are just plain sad and have been for as long as they've existed, so they're more worthy of pity than animosity.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Nein.

Browns-Steelers seems more authentic when you get down to it, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are Football towns, theres a ton of storylines in the rivalry (People from PA playing/coaching for the Browns, people from Ohio coaching/playing for the Steelers), the fans are probably the two best in the league and are possibly the most rabid and loyal in football, they always have been and always will be.

Ravens? I've been to their stomping grounds around MD. and I didn't get that vibe I got from Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Football doesn't seem nearly as valuable to them as it does to Pittsburgh and Cleveland, it's not really written into their heritage like those whom live in those regions. Hell, look up the attendance numbers for when the Colts had Bert Jones in the late 70's and were a perennial playoff team, They still were not able to sell out their stadium, now compare it to the Browns numbers of that same year, where they ere quite mediocre, and Muni. was sold out.

Browns/Steelers will always, always be a rivalry, even when one or both of the teams are terrible, simply because the fans of both side and the history of both franchises have kept it alive for some many years. Steelers/Ravens will die off whenever the Ravens hit mediocrity or worse.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Halfback Mewelde Moore has a sprained knee, and Tomlin described him as questionable for Sunday.

If he cannot play, rookie Jonathan Dwyer could suit up for his first game.

If we happen to get a nice lead going coming into the 4th, I'd kind of want to see Dwyer and Redman run out the clock together.

Merchant
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Nein.

Browns-Steelers seems more authentic when you get down to it, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are Football towns, theres a ton of storylines in the rivalry (People from PA playing/coaching for the Browns, people from Ohio coaching/playing for the Steelers), the fans are probably the two best in the league and are possibly the most rabid and loyal in football, they always have been and always will be.

Ravens? I've been to their stomping grounds around MD. and I didn't get that vibe I got from Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Football doesn't seem nearly as valuable to them as it does to Pittsburgh and Cleveland, it's not really written into their heritage like those whom live in those regions. Hell, look up the attendance numbers for when the Colts had Bert Jones in the late 70's and were a perennial playoff team, They still were not able to sell out their stadium, now compare it to the Browns numbers of that same year, where they ere quite mediocre, and Muni. was sold out.

Browns/Steelers will always, always be a rivalry, even when one or both of the teams are terrible, simply because the fans of both side and the history of both franchises have kept it alive for some many years. Steelers/Ravens will die off whenever the Ravens hit mediocrity or worse.

Best user name ive seen on this site.

GoSlash27
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Nein.

Yeah, but you're just sayin' that 'cuz you're a Browns fan. The "nail" *thinks* it has a rivalry with the hammer.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Ask Michigan Fan circa 1990-2000 about the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry when John Cooper was head coach of the bucks. A lot of them insisted that Michigan State was their real rival and sort of thumbed their noses at Buckeye fan. That all changed with Tressel arrived and turned the tables. Thankfully Buckeye fans still believe in the rivalry and vice versa. Look, the Browns are indeed terrible, no doubt since about..1994 they've not really been all that relevant in terms of being an NFL Franchise, but I really believe that when things are turned around, you'll see a new chapter start up again in the Browns/Steelers rivalry. No more pity from you guys, and still that old fashioned hatred from the Dawg Pound directed towards those black and yellow uniforms. I don't know when that day will come, but I hope it's soon, I'm tired of losing.

tube517
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Not living in either city or state, I just do not really feel the rivalry. I grew up in the 70's and the Browns sucked then. The rivals were the Oilers and the Bungles but even bigger were the Raiders and Cryboys. Then, in the 80's, there were some flashes during Schottenheimer's reign. Then the one playoff game during Bellicheat's reign. But since then, really nothing. Again, I don't live near either area so it's not really there for me. I hate the Ravens but they are a boring team to me. Yeah, they are physical and i hate their players but they really have no history. For me, the hated teams are the Pats* and Cryboys. Then the Raisins, Stains, and Bungles after that.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Not living in either city or state, I just do not really feel the rivalry. I grew up in the 70's and the Browns sucked then. The rivals were the Oilers and the Bungles but even bigger were the Raiders and Cryboys. Then, in the 80's, there were some flashes during Schottenheimer's reign. Then the one playoff game during Bellicheat's reign. But since then, really nothing. Again, I don't live near either area so it's not really there for me. I hate the Ravens but they are a boring team to me. Yeah, they are physical and i hate their players but they really have no history. For me, the hated teams are the Pats* and Cryboys. Then the Raisins, Stains, and Bungles after that.

It's moreso one you feel if you grew up or near one of the cities. then you understand the rivalry a bit.

My hatred of the Steelers really actually didn't devolop until around '04 or so. Prior to this, where I had lived, there really wern't that many Steeler fans, I actually was more bitter at the Ravens for stealing my team and winning a title with it. But, just then, all these Faux Steeler fans suddenly came out of the woodwork left and right, they were not from Pittsburgh, and couldn't name more than three players on ther roster, and they were just really obnoxious about it.

Really, really starts to eat at you when you hear people complain about the fact that Tommy Maddox is in at QB because of Big Ben is hurt, while they themselves are sitting pretty with 9 or so wins, and your team is waiting out to see if they can land a top 5 pick.

You guys are all pretty cool, as is everyone I've met who's an actual true-blood Steeler fan. Have had some great talk about football with them. But god...those bandwagoners really make me hate the Steelers.

GoSlash27
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
RWWPC,
Seems to me that your problem is with the bandwagoneers, rather than the Steelers per se. Believe me, the spoiled, obnoxious bandwagon fans annoy us every bit as much as they do you. Maybe even moreso, believe it or not.
Nevertheless, there simply isn't a rivalry anymore and there hasn't been since the Browns moved to Baltimore. At least not from our end.

stlrtruck
12-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Bottom line about this game is that last year the browns beat us, knocked us out of the playoffs and now this year they've got a chance to place us from the #2 to the #6 seed. Cleveland is licking their chops, and they want this to be a rivalry, and it should be! Getting knocked out of the playoffs by them last year was ridiculous and showed a terrible mentality amongst the team. Now this year, there is something better on the line and the team, through their own admissions, want this one!

This is the brown's SB, and we should hand them a big fat L

tube517
12-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I know the feeling of hatred of those bandwagon fans. But the bandwagon fans that are THE WORST, are the Cryboys fans. Absolute worst.

It's moreso one you feel if you grew up or near one of the cities. then you understand the rivalry a bit.

My hatred of the Steelers really actually didn't devolop until around '04 or so. Prior to this, where I had lived, there really wern't that many Steeler fans, I actually was more bitter at the Ravens for stealing my team and winning a title with it. But, just then, all these Faux Steeler fans suddenly came out of the woodwork left and right, they were not from Pittsburgh, and couldn't name more than three players on ther roster, and they were just really obnoxious about it.

Really, really starts to eat at you when you hear people complain about the fact that Tommy Maddox is in at QB because of Big Ben is hurt, while they themselves are sitting pretty with 9 or so wins, and your team is waiting out to see if they can land a top 5 pick.

You guys are all pretty cool, as is everyone I've met who's an actual true-blood Steeler fan. Have had some great talk about football with them. But god...those bandwagoners really make me hate the Steelers.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2010, 02:06 PM
RWWPC,
Seems to me that your problem is with the bandwagoneers, rather than the Steelers per se. Believe me, the spoiled, obnoxious bandwagon fans annoy us every bit as much as they do you. Maybe even moreso, believe it or not.
Nevertheless, there simply isn't a rivalry anymore and there hasn't been since the Browns moved to Baltimore. At least not from our end.

I do hate Ben and several of your players though, if that indeed counts for something. ;).

though, Polamalu is a beast, mad props to him. Also, always hoped that the Browns could get their own Jerome Bettis, who himself was similiar to Kevin Mack back in the day.

HometownGal
12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
This is the brown's SB, and we should hand them a big fat L

This. ^^

A-freakin-MEN.

GoSlash27
12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I do hate Ben and several of your players though, if that indeed counts for something. ;).

though, Polamalu is a beast, mad props to him. Also, always hoped that the Browns could get their own Jerome Bettis, who himself was similiar to Kevin Mack back in the day.

That's okay. If I were in your position I'd hate them too. :D

And FWIW you guys have had every opportunity to have any kind of players you want. I don't think that's what you're missing.

ALLD
12-29-2010, 04:14 PM
The Browns have not been relevant since I doubled up on the jalapenos and dropped a duece that made me sweat.