PDA

View Full Version : Suisham getting his kicks with Pittsburgh

Galax Steeler
12-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Shaun Suisham shares similarities with Jeff Reed, from a fast start in their first six games as the Steelers' kicker to a passion for the Penguins.

If Suisham has learned anything from his predecessor, it's to not complain about the conditions at Heinz Field.

"It's what you would expect, kicking in December outdoors on a natural surface," Suisham said. "There's certainly wind out there. It's just part of kicking here in Pittsburgh."

So far it's been mostly all good.

Read more:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_715503.html

BPS3akaWirels3
12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
He has done much better then Reed did in the last 2 seasons.. Just sayin

LLT
12-27-2010, 08:19 AM
I have completely taken a kicker off my 2011 draft list....Suisham has been remarkable.

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I have completely taken a kicker off my 2011 draft list....Suisham has been remarkable.

I don't think that you ever need to use a draft pick for a kicker (maybe a 7th). You can always get a UDFA who's good. We will bring someone in to camp to compete but I've been happy with Sushi except for his kickoffs. I'm still dreaming of an accurate kicker who can put the kickoffs into the endzone.

I watched the Rams / Niners game yesterday and Skippy missed a 34 yarder (kicking in a dome).

LLT
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't think that you ever need to use a draft pick for a kicker (maybe a 7th). You can always get a UDFA who's good. We will bring someone in to camp to compete but I've been happy with Sushi except for his kickoffs. I'm still dreaming of an accurate kicker who can put the kickoffs into the endzone.

I watched the Rams / Niners game yesterday and Skippy missed a 34 yarder (kicking in a dome).

Kickers can be found as UDFA's...but the better prospects usually go in the last two rounds. Elite kickers have been known to go even higher.

Regardless...we dont need to worry about it now that Suisham has proven himself.

Merchant
12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

I saw that miss too. Signing Sushi has definitely been one of the best decisions of 2010.

cold-hard-steel
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Everyone seemed to have a problem with letting Reed go.Well most everyone anyway.I for one was not sorry to see him go. Leary maybe,but not sorry. I am just glad that he is working out the way our staff thought he would. Knock on wood.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I saw that Rams 49ers game too. Reed looks even fatter in a 49ers uniform. Kind of reminded me of an even more overweight Ray Wershing.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that Rams 49ers game too. Reed looks even fatter in a 49ers uniform. Kind of reminded me of an even more overweight Ray Wershing.

Skippy looks like a bowling pin

stillers4me
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Suisham has done well so far. I'm holding off on my opinion about drafting a kicker until I see how well he does under real pressure in the playoffs. He could be the difference between winning or losing a playoff game and I wouldn't want to be him if he misses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Suisham has done well so far. I'm holding off on my opinion about drafting a kicker until I see how well he does under real pressure in the playoffs. He could be the difference between winning or losing a playoff game and I wouldn't want to be him if he misses.

All kickers miss FG's. Its a fact of life and it gets tougher under pressure. I think the difference between a Phil Dawson, Jeff Reed, Neil Rackers, Matt Stover and Shaun Suisham is all pretty minimal........so that is why I was never in favor of overpaying Reed or Franchise Tagging him like many fans were.

Suisham is making a lot more than he is missing here right now. He will eventually miss one that the fans will get on him for, but at least he isnt causing a disturbance by thinking he is so much better than he actually is. That is what Reed was and its all karma.

fansince'76
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
....at least he isnt causing a disturbance by thinking he is so much better than he actually is. That is what Reed was and its all karma.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/if-the-towel-dispenser-is-empty-please-use-your-cloths.jpghttp://www.signpictures.net/pictures/if_empty.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Kind of a good thing that Reed is gone. Now we can focus on resigning Ike, Colon, and Woodley in the offseason!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Lets just remember FS76............."Haters hate", but kickers hate not being able to dry their hands. feliz navidad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Kind of a good thing that Reed is gone. Now we can focus on resigning Ike, Colon, and Woodley in the offseason!

I'm possibly the biggest Colon fan here for the past few seasons, but I think he will move on unless he is able to take a lesser contract.

His status post injury will be somewhat in question and that could be what keeps him here or keeps him from being retained by the Steelers.. After all, everybody would prefer to have a healthy Colon. :wink:

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm possibly the biggest Colon fan here for the past few seasons

I thought I was the only one! Pouncey, Kemo, Colon, and Starks with the addition of a decent right guard will make a pretty nice O-line!

Mtn.Steel
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree...until one, two or even three go down w/ injury. I think we need to look at new strength and conditioning staff. And maybe, just maybe guys like Essex and Foster blossom a little for strong backups.

LLT
12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I thought I was the only one! Pouncey, Kemo, Colon, and Starks with the addition of a decent right guard will make a pretty nice O-line!

Right on the money...except I would move Kemo to the right side and get a more athletic LG in this draft.

Hindes204
12-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Suisham has been remarkable at field goals, but how is nobody mentioning the kickoffs. He has trouble kicking it past the 15 which gives opposing offenses great field position. Field position is a vital part of the game and we seem to have been losing that battle since Suisham took over kickoff duties. I think ST needs to pick up the slack on these weak kickoffs but they shouldnt be forced to do it on every kick

steel striker
12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
So far Sean has been real good and, hopefully if we need a kick Sean will come through. Although I hope it does not come down to a kick for us to win. Like it was mentioned above once the pressure of the playoffs comes then you will find out alot about your kicker. Sean has a some nice kicks it big spots like in the raven game and, against the bills.

HometownGal
12-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm still a huge Skippy fan but I must say - Sushi has been more than a pleasant surprise and I think he's definitely a keeper! :thumbsup: We're going to need his leg in the playoffs and I have no doubt he'll be up to the task. :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-28-2010, 12:07 PM

No, when most were bashing Colon a few years back, I objectively reviewed his play and saw that he was probably our best O lineman.

I specifically remember a loss to the Giants where the fan base was all over Colon for taking a holding call that negated a long TD pass to Nate Washington. Fact was if he doesnt hold, then Ben would have got destroyed on that play.

If Colon can come back for reasonable $$, then we can wait a year for an OT. I still want to see an OT and OG drafted this year to bolster the line and plan for the departure of Essex and Hills.