PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Tomlin deserves Coach of Year votes

stillers4me
12-26-2010, 08:35 AM
In all likelihood, Mike Tomlin will not be NFL Coach of the Year.

There are several other worthy candidates out there, and considering the perceived bias that The Associated Press voting panel has had against Steelers coaches over the years, it’s hard to imagine Tomlin winning the vote this year.

Chicago’s Lovie Smith already has a public endorsement for the award from Bears’ linebacker Brian Urlacher. After going 7-9 last year, the Monsters of the Midway are 10-4 right now and have clinched the NFC North Division.

Kansas City’s Todd Haley will receive his share of votes. The Chiefs were 4-12 and finished last in the AFC West last year. If they win their last two games — at home against Tennessee and Oakland — they’ll be the latest NFL team to go from worst to first in a division.

If Atlanta (12-2) beats New Orleans (10-4) on Monday night and clinches the NFC South title and the NFC’s No. 1 seed, Falcons coach Mike Smith will be a Coach of the Year candidate.

Also in the NFC South, there’s Tampa Bay’s Raheem Morris, who’s improved the Buccaneers from 3-13 last year to 8-6 this year.

And don’t forget about the super genius from New England, Bill Belichick. He’s done an amazing job with the Patriots (12-2), who can clinch the AFC’s No. 1 seed today.

But with due respect to those Coach of the Year candidates, Tomlin is just as worthy as any.

Consider all that he’s had to deal with this year: ......................

Read more @ http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/december/25/bires-tomlin-deserves-coach-of-year-votes.html

fansince'76
12-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Nah - Tomlin was handed a championship team that was built by Cowher. Any dope could do what he's done. He's Barry Switzer reincarnated, etc., etc. :blah: :blah: :blah:

HometownGal
12-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Hmmmmm - these thoughts sound vaguely familiar. :heh:

I still believe Tomlin should be strongly considered no matter what any of those other coaches have done. He truly had his back against the wall starting from the first game of the season with his franchise QB out for 4 games and with all of the OL musical chairs and injuries to key players, the Steelers sit at 11-4 currently with a good shot at becoming 12-4 and earning the second seed and a first round bye. Imho - that took a superhuman effort.

Edman
12-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Tomlin deserves credit, but he won't get it. Don't forget. He's winning with Cowher's Team, remember?

Godfather
12-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Tomlin deserves credit, but he won't get it. Don't forget. He's winning with Cowher's Team, remember?

I wish someone would remind the haters that a LOT of Tomlin draft picks are key contributors--the three young receivers, Ziggy, Woodley and Timmons, Pouncey, Mendy.

Oh, well. Haters gonna hate.

stillers4me
12-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I wish someone would remind the haters that a LOT of Tomlin draft picks are key contributors--the three young receivers, Ziggy, Woodley and Timmons, Pouncey, Mendy.

As well as Wallace, Sanders and Brown. Not to mention that when Ben was out, both Leftwich and Dixon were out with knee injuries and Charlie Batch played 2 games. The O line has been a constantly moving revolving door from day one, and he has been very cautious with Troy, Hines and other vets in not having them practice too much between games to keep their bodies as fresh as possible. He held a spot for Aaron Smith in the hopes that he will be able to return for the playoffs.

tube517
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Tomlin's overrated.....he's Barry Switzer and George Seifert. Fire him. :sarcasm2:

fansince'76
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Tomlin's overrated.....he's Barry Switzer and George Seifert. Fire him. :sarcasm2:
No, no, no! He's Barry Switzer right now. When/if he wins a 2nd Lombardi, THEN he'll become George Seifert. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81d417b0/Who-is-coach-of-the-year?module=HP_video

The talking heads on NFL Network don't even say his name ONCE