PDA

View Full Version : Pens-Steelers connection is classic Pittsburgh

stillers4me
12-26-2010, 08:12 AM
An exclusive interview with Steelers president Art Rooney II, whose franchise has opened the gates at Heinz Field to the Winter Classic:

Q: Was there hesitation to alter your team's schedule to accommodate the Winter Classic?
A: We just weren't sure we could do it. In the end we just felt like it was going to be something special for the city and obviously for the Penguins to be in it as the home team. It's something they wanted to do, and for us to have it at Heinz Field is maybe a once-in-a-long-time situation. We just thought we had to go for it because of that. It was, "Let's do it now, let's not wait." This could be the most exciting event we've had in this city for a long, long time.

Q: The Steelers usually take a bus to Cleveland the night before playing there, which they will do the day of the Classic. Will you be on that bus?
A: I can't speak for my dad (Dan Rooney), but I can say I'm staying back for the Classic. I'll probably have to drive to Cleveland by myself later that night. I'm not going to miss the hockey game, that's for sure. Hopefully some Penguins fans will follow me up to Cleveland for our game.

Q: What do you expect the Classic atmosphere to be like?
A: I do think you'll see people with Terrible Towels in the stands. There will be something unmistakable about that. Get the word out for people to bring the Terrible Towels. Yeah, I think people outside the city will see something on TV that is unique in terms of the relationship between two franchises.

Q: Is it true your dad tried to sell Sidney Crosby on playing quarterback?................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_715420.html

HometownGal
12-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I absolutely LOVE the comradery between the Steelers and the Pens. :thumbsup: It is rare when XT and I attend Pens games and don't see a couple of Steelers somewhere in the stands or on the jumbotron. Skippy had season tix to the Pens games for years and we've seen Tomlin, Hines, Aaron Smith and other Steelers players in the stands. Skippy sat in C-27 for several years among the fans - right across the ice from where XT and I sat. When Ben is there, he always sits in Mario's box with Mario and his lovely wife Nathalie. I'm sure there are a lot of Pens players who attend Steelers games when their schedules permit. These guys truly admire and respect each other and that is so refreshing! :applaudit:

memphissteelergirl
12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I remember during the Steelers' last Super Bowl run I was watching a Pens game on NBC (they won). Then Marc-Andre Fleury reappeared on the ice waving a Terrible Towel and the crowd went nuts! I thought that was pretty cool.
...will be watching the Winter Classic on New Year's Day!