PDA

View Full Version : So who's more important? Troy or Aaron?

Nathan
05-29-2010, 10:44 PM
After these past few seasons, I'm pretty sure that we can agree the most important players on our D are Troy and Aaron. I mean, Aaron is the best and most underrated 3-4 end in the business, and has been for quite some time, and Troy is such a game changer, and allows us to do so many things with our D. But who's more important?

I'd like to start off by saying Troy is my favorite player on our team. That being said, I still think Aaron is more important to our D's success. I think, while Troy does alot of great things, he also takes big risks and will sometimes let a big play go. I feel like if we had a prototypical strong safety, it would make our D less dynamic, but not necessarily bad. Without Aaron, our D is bad. We can't run stuff effectively without him in the lineup, which sends a ripple effect throughout the D, making everything lackluster.

but what do you guys think? or if you think someone else is more important, let it be heard.

polamalubeast
05-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I like Smith, but Polamalu is more important.

BlastFurnace
05-29-2010, 10:51 PM
I think that Troy makes a difference in atleast 3 of our losses last season...even without Aaron in the lineup. I would say Troy.

Aaron Smith is still one of my favorite 3 Steelers though.

Shoes
05-29-2010, 10:52 PM
They are equally important in their position IMO.

steel9guy
05-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Look at 09 when we lost Troy and look at 07 when Aaron went down. And I guess you could say 09 too with Aaron. I think they are each very important but I'd have to give the edge to Troy.

steelpride12
05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I think Troy is the most important player for this defense. Several losses came from him being out last season and even though Smith does have a huge impact it seem's his backups hold the role well where no one could ever replace what Troy brings to the D.

Mach1
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Their both important, but teams have to game plan around Troy a bit more than Aaron. And Troy can be anywhere on the field so you always have to know where he's at.

kmsteelerwr15
05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I love Aaron Smith and hate to see him out of the lineup but I think it's Troy. And one of the reasons why I would say except for last season would have to be having a guy like Ziggy that could be inserted when Smith can't play, and you look behind Troy and there is no there to plug in.

polamalubeast
05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Look at 09 when we lost Troy and look at 07 when Aaron went down. And I guess you could say 09 too with Aaron. I think they are each very important but I'd have to give the edge to Troy.

When the steelers lost Smith in 2007, it was not pretty to watch.

The match in December against the Jaguars were one of the worst to watch.

vasteeler
05-30-2010, 12:42 AM
thats a toss up considering they play two different positions

Hindes204
05-30-2010, 12:44 AM
apples and oranges.....too hard to make the comparison because they are both so good at their position

wootawnee
05-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Who gets paid more....

focosteeler
05-30-2010, 01:12 AM
apples and oranges.....too hard to make the comparison because they are both so good at their position

i cant agree more

Galax Steeler
05-30-2010, 05:56 AM
If I was starting a team from scratch I would take Troy just a great playmaker all around great athelete.

stillers4me
05-30-2010, 06:08 AM
I think LeBeau has built the defense around Troy and his amazing and unique style of play, but when you take Aaron out of the equation, it's like a domino effect and the whole defense gets shifted around and it's never been a pretty sight. They are both important pieces of the defense, it's just that Aaron Smith doesn't get the recognition that he deserves from the media. Troy makes the big spashy plays and Aaron just quietly does his usual outstanding job and the defense as a whole gets the credit.

Or maybe it's the hair.

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2010, 06:47 AM
I think LeBeau has built the defense around Troy and his amazing and unique style of play, but when you take Aaron is out of the equation, it's like a domino effect and the whole defense gets shifted around and it's never been a pretty sight. They are both important pieces of the defense, it's just that Aaron Smith doesn't get the recognition that he deserves from the media. Troy makes the big spashy plays and Aaron just quietly does his usual outstanding job and the defense as a whole gets the credit.

Or maybe it's the hair.

Thats a good assessment. Both are essential cogs in this defence.

I just have more memories of passing plays ripping the middle of the secondary up than long runs through the D line.

Tyrone Carter scared me more than any of DE's who were on the field. I lean slightly towards Troy

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I think LeBeau has built the defense around Troy and his amazing and unique style of play, but when you take Aaron out of the equation, it's like a domino effect and the whole defense gets shifted around and it's never been a pretty sight. They are both important pieces of the defense, it's just that Aaron Smith doesn't get the recognition that he deserves from the media. Troy makes the big spashy plays and Aaron just quietly does his usual outstanding job and the defense as a whole gets the credit.

Or maybe it's the hair.

Yupp you have to agree. Offenses work around Troy that's how big of a factor he is, but Smith is just as important for that front 3 and either one out of the line up seems to cause problems for the defense. Troy is just everything to the entire D so I still feel he is the biggest asset for them.