PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Backfield Will Be a Running Concern in 2010

LLT
06-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Backfield Will Be a Running Concern in 2010
by Nick DeWitt
June 07, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers were out of character last season after having trended that way since Mike Tomlin took the reins in 2007.

They became a passing team.

Power running has been out of vogue in Pittsburgh since Jerome Bettis parked the bus permanently after the 2005 Super Bowl season. Willie Parker took over full time duties after that, and he was more of a fast, cutback runner.

The Steelers have lacked a true pounder ever since.

Now Rashard Mendenhall takes up the mantle of Steelers feature back, a position that has known greatness for the better part of the last half century.

The Steelers already plan to run the ball more often in 2010. Mendenhall proved he could handle the workload with a 242 carry, 1,108 yard season punctuated by seven touchdowns.

Mendenhall can run both inside and outside and he showed a knack for breaking tackles and gaining extra yards. His style (not his ability) is similar to Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings.

Unfortunately, that includes the propensity for fumbles while trying to gain extra yards.

Mendenhall's ball security improved late in the season and should be a focus for him when it comes to improving his game in 2010.

But Parker is gone and Mewelde Moore is not talented enough to carry backup duties by himself. So the Steelers selected Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech in the sixth round of the draft.

Dwyer has the potential to be a great compliment to Mendenhall and to be the pounder that has been lacking in Pittsburgh since the Bettis days. He's a tough inside runner with good technique and a sturdy frame.

Added to that punch will be the pass catching ability of Moore, who is the best backfield receiver. He was effective on screens and in the flat. The Steelers will likely look to use him in those situations again in 2010.

Isaac Redman is an interesting piece as a goal line back. He is an aggressive, strong runner who does his best work in between the tackles.

Frank Summers will also return from his injury as the team's fullback/halfback. Summers is another big inside guy, but his injury concerns and his one-dimensional game may put his roster spot in jeopardy.

While the Steelers are recommitting themselves to running the ball, it may be more of a necessity than anything with Ben Roethlisberger suspended for at least the first four games of the season. Mendenhall and company will be heavily relied upon to carry the load and take the heat off of whoever starts under center.

Mendenhall is due for a true breakout season and is a candidate to challenge for a rushing title if the Steelers truly commit to the ground game and also repair some of the lapses in their offensive line blocking.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/402385-pittsburgh-steelers-backfield-will-be-a-running-concern-in-2010

Galax Steeler
06-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Nice read LLT I just hope they can get it going enough to keep whoever is at quarteback from being harrased all game long. With the edition of Dwyer that should help out alot.

solardave
06-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Good stuff LLT. Reading the headline I thought Dewitt was going to have bad things to say but I think he makes sense. Mendy needs to have a breakout year and hold onto the ball. Memo can handle the dump and Dwyer can soften up defense. It will be interesting to see who else gets in. Summers or Redman.

Boomerang
06-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Looking forward to seeing Mendy and JD working together.

TroysBarber
06-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm less optimistic. With Ben out for 1/4 of the season, defenses will be keying on the run. Last year our red zone and short yardage offense was dismal because our O Line couldn't handle defenses that knew that we were running. I doubt that Pouncy will make that much of a difference early in his rookie year. I hope that I'm wrong ( I actually was once wrong in 1974, so it's possible), but I'm nervous about our offense without Ben.

MULLDOG24
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm kind of intrigued about Redman. I red an article the other day where he said he was up to 240 lbs and in a lot better shape. I know all of his carries came against second string guys but he does run hard. If he is in better shape and all he could be somewhat of a "Dark horse" to make the roster as a goal line/short yardage back.

steelpride12
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Im interested to see what Dwyer can do for this run game. Im hoping he will become a fast learner and be that bruiser against the defenses, something we have missed since Bettis has left. Having that load of Mendy would be huge, but at the same time he still needs to have a strong season for the Steelers.

st33lersguy
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
The run-blocking should be improved if Pouncey is in the lineup. Plus Chris Kemo had a good year before that injury so we have the tools to run the ball well

steelreserve
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't know what the "concern" is about. We finally sat Parker's sorry ass on the bench where it belonged, and with a REAL RB, all of a sudden the running game was consistent and the offense was having a record year. That was a huge upgrade by itself as far as I'm concerned, and now we've added a new stud lineman and two guys (Summers & Dwyer) who have a chance to come in and be the bowling-ball bruiser RB.

This is the best shape the running game has been in since Bettis left. Do we have a smoking crack smiley? We need one for the writer.

Steeldude
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
the steelers backfield is the least of their problems. IMO, the OL, DL, LB and secondary are more of a problem.

focosteeler
06-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm less optimistic. With Ben out for 1/4 of the season, defenses will be keying on the run. Last year our red zone and short yardage offense was dismal because our O Line couldn't handle defenses that knew that we were running. I doubt that Pouncy will make that much of a difference early in his rookie year. I hope that I'm wrong ( I actually was once wrong in 1974, so it's possible), but I'm nervous about our offense without Ben.

remember last season against baltimore when dixon started...everyone knew we were going to run the ball, mendy had 95 yards that game against one of the best defenses in the league...i think when we truely commit to the run game we do alright...our D is good enough to keep us in games.... we just need BA to get his S**T together

GoSlash27
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Our backfield is missing glide.
/ I really do like Redzone tho'...

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
remember last season against baltimore when dixon started...everyone knew we were going to run the ball, mendy had 95 yards that game against one of the best defenses in the league...i think when we truely commit to the run game we do alright...our D is good enough to keep us in games.... we just need BA to get his S**T together

It wasn't just that game either. For some reason during games against phenomenal run D's such as against the vikings we didnt stick to the run even though Mendenhall was running WILD.