PDA

View Full Version : Steelers handle Carolina easily, but offense continues to sputter

stillers4me
12-24-2010, 07:27 AM
This is pretty much what you expect when one of the best teams in the NFL goes up against the worst team in the NFL.

The Steelers (11-4) had their way with the Carolina Panthers (2-13) last night at Heinz Field, 27-3.

But it was hardly a thing of beauty. A down note was that once again the offense could have been more efficient and not left as many points on the field. The Steelers ineffectiveness inside the 20-yard line is a concern. They were in the red zone four times in the first half and produced only one touchdown..............

Read more @ http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26719-steelers-handle-carilina-easily-but-offense-continues-to-sputter

HometownGal
12-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Oh for God's sake. :doh: Common sense tells you that no team is going to score 6 on every single red zone possession. :coffee: Even the great* Cheats* -puke- don't.

I'm happy with the W and the 27 put up by the Steelers O. Sure there were points left out there, but being one step closer to another division crown and a first round bye to get our guys healthy (particularly Aaron and Troy) is really all that should matter.

I swear to God - if the Steelers put 80 points up on that scoreboard, there would be people bitching and moaning that they should have had 100. :jerkit: Do they think the Steelers are the only team in the NFL to leave points out on the field? :doh:

WE FREAKIN' WON, the guys have 10 days to rest their weary bones and get ready for the all important matchup against the Browns and as I said above - we're one step closer to our second goal. Goal #1 - clinching a playoff spot - done. Goal #2 - beating the Browns and winning the crown and getting the bye.

stlrtruck
12-24-2010, 08:50 AM
The only problem I have with the offense is that they played prevent offense in the 4th qtr. I know I've mentioned in other threads, but against good teams you can't do that with a full 10 minutes to go in the game.

HometownGal
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
The only problem I have with the offense is that they played prevent offense in the 4th qtr. I know I've mentioned in other threads, but against good teams you can't do that with a full 10 minutes to go in the game.

We weren't playing a good team. With a 27 point lead and then a 24 point lead, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with the offense going "vanilla" with 10 minutes left in the game. The playoffs are a totally different animal and I can almost assure you we won't see that soft offense in those games. The Steelers O took the safe way out with a commanding lead and 10 minutes left in the game - they pretty much kept it on the ground and ran down the clock, which is what I think most teams with half of a brain cell would do.

stillers4me
12-24-2010, 08:59 AM
The only thing that bothered me was that after they came out this week and said that they were getting too greedy in the endzone and needed to change their strategy, they went right back to the old habits that have failed in the past.

fansince'76
12-24-2010, 09:04 AM
WE FREAKIN' WON, the guys have 10 days to rest their weary bones and get ready for the all important matchup against the Browns and as I said above - we're one step closer to our second goal. Goal #1 - clinching a playoff spot - done. Goal #2 - beating the Browns and winning the crown and getting the bye.

Although I doubt it happens, I'm hoping Baltimore stumbles and loses to the Browns this Sunday. If so, we wrap up 2nd seed and the bye and we can rest starters against the Browns in 10 days.

venom
12-24-2010, 09:11 AM
The Red Zone Off may kill us in the playoffs. You still have time to fix it up,,,fast !!

CPanther95
12-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I hope we can sputter 408 yards in our last 4 games.

salamander
12-24-2010, 10:38 AM
We had over 400 yards of total offense. I'm quite happy with that. Do I want them to stop going for the homerun every time they're in the red zone? Absolutely. But I'll gladly take a 24-point victory any day.

ALLD
12-24-2010, 10:45 AM
We ran prevent offense in the 4th to prevent injuries mostly and run out the clock. The game was over in the first half. However, Memo had something with his knee in the 4th.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
The only thing that bothered me was that after they came out this week and said that they were getting too greedy in the endzone and needed to change their strategy, they went right back to the old habits that have failed in the past.

So true.

the game was in control, yet Ben was seen slinging the ball down the middle in the back of the end zone repeatedly instead of trying to move the chains from around the 20 yard line. Its why I think a lot of what is said to the media is just for show. Cant teach old dogs........

tube517
12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
This offense failed because it did not reach the required 600 yds (400 passing, 200 running) and 50 points. Sushi needs to be released because of the miss. Ben needs to be benched. Mendy traded. Wallace is overrated and is losing a step. The defense gave up 3 points and too many yards. We need to rebuild.

steeldawg
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I thought the offense looked great, yes they didnt score every time in the redzone but they moved the ball all over the field.

Mach1
12-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Common sense tells you that no team is going to score 6 on every single red zone possession.

They went 2-6 in the redzone and two of those went for zero points. Not going to win many playoff games with that kind of production. IMO

BlastFurnace
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Although I doubt it happens, I'm hoping Baltimore stumbles and loses to the Browns this Sunday. If so, we wrap up 2nd seed and the bye and we can rest starters against the Browns in 10 days.

That's the perfect scenerio.

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Alright, here's the deal. Believe it or not, it's a GOOD THING to bitch about reoccurring problems that aren't getting fixed. Yeah whatever, we'll take the win, but you guys (some of you) mean to tell the rest of us that our redzone offense isnt a serious problem that's probably going to hurt us in the playoffs? You honestly think we can go all the way like this? We could, but I like our chances better if we can put 7 on the board instead of 3.

We've lost to 4 good teams this season, and in each of those losses, redzone offense was a huge part of it. Only losers are satisfied with "just a win." Championship teams are greedy.

stlrtruck
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
We weren't playing a good team. With a 27 point lead and then a 24 point lead, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with the offense going "vanilla" with 10 minutes left in the game. The playoffs are a totally different animal and I can almost assure you we won't see that soft offense in those games. The Steelers O took the safe way out with a commanding lead and 10 minutes left in the game - they pretty much kept it on the ground and ran down the clock, which is what I think most teams with half of a brain cell would do.

I still think they should have fought to get some first downs when they were deep in their own zone. It just looked like they were content and that contentness put the defense in a spot. I just feel that if the defense is fighting their hearts out for a shut out, the offense should help do their part. I don't mean run up the score but don't give up the ball on our side of the 50.

Shawn
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Meh, we won. It looks like the offense was bored out there, it was no challenge for them. I'm not worried, you won't see them bored in the playoffs.

X-Terminator
12-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Alright, here's the deal. Believe it or not, it's a GOOD THING to bitch about reoccurring problems that aren't getting fixed. Yeah whatever, we'll take the win, but you guys (some of you) mean to tell the rest of us that our redzone offense isnt a serious problem that's probably going to hurt us in the playoffs? You honestly think we can go all the way like this? We could, but I like our chances better if we can put 7 on the board instead of 3.

We've lost to 4 good teams this season, and in each of those losses, redzone offense was a huge part of it. Only losers are satisfied with "just a win." Championship teams are greedy.

I see you've forgotten about 2008 already. Remember that season? I believe the same people had the same complaints back then. What happened? They won it all.

You want to keep bitching about this and that...go ahead. The rest of us will just take the wins. If that makes us "losers," then so be it.

BlastFurnace
12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Alright, here's the deal. Believe it or not, it's aio GOOD THING to bitch about reoccurring problems that aren't getting fixed. Yeah whatever, we'll take the win, but you guys (some of you) mean to tell the rest of us that our redzone offense isnt a serious problem that's probably going to hurt us in the playoffs? You honestly think we can go all the way like this? We could, but I like our chances better if we can put 7 on the board instead of 3.

Great post!

BlastFurnace
12-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I see you've forgotten about 2008 already. Remember that season? I believe the same people had the same complaints back then. What happened? They won it all.

You want to keep bitching about this and that...go ahead. The rest of us will just take the wins. If that makes us "losers," then so be it.

We are enjoying the win. If everyone on this board agreed about everything, this board would be boring. Come complaints, come cheerleading, come all...

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2010, 04:53 PM
We are enjoying the win. If everyone on this board agreed about everything, this board.would be boring. Come complaints, come cheerlrading, come all...

amen

No, i havent. That is a very different situation. This defense is playing well, but the '08 defense was far and beyond better at everything: #1 in the redzone, #1 on 3rd down, #1 pass defense, #2 run defense, #1 points allowed, #1 total yardage, #3 sacks, among other impressive feats. Even against the run they were better (even if the statistics might not show it, our run defense would be allowing a lot more yardage if our pass defense wasnt so porous). And we had a hell of a lot tougher opponents back then. In '08, the defense was more upstanding to the task when we were down, and the offense had a flare for being clutch, even more than this season. Hell, that was the staple of our offense back in 2008. We had no offense...till it mattered most. Offensively, we're better on 3rd and short and um....basically that's the only big area we've improved and we've fallen far back or stagnated to the same level we were two years ago at everything else.

"The rest of us will take the wins." Pfft...Obviously some people take winning for granted...there are components that go into winning, components you could/should improve upon week in and week out. Not just tank it and cross your fingers thinking you'll be fine. It doesnt just happen. Crazy, i know...

Mach1
12-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Not just tank it and cross your fingers thinking you'll be fine.

Arians is that you?

:chuckle: