PDA

View Full Version : Week 15 Thoughts

Chidi29
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Tough loss. Really came down to field position. The Jets had good field position for the majority of the game, a major plus to a struggling offense. We weren't as lucky and often had to drive the length of the field. Not always going to be able to pull out the 4th quarter comeback. To the notes.

First Half
- Suisham's times: 3.6 (2 - 98 yard ret for TD), 3.97 (20 - pooch), squib, 3.9 (9). Ugly week for Suisham. Only got 3.97 on a pooch kick. Need to do a better job than that.

- Factors that contribued to Smith's return.

1. As noted, the hangtime was really bad. About as bad as you'll see.

2. Madison, the pinch guy, gets knocked down by Connor. Fox gets hit by the two man wedge; not much he can do about that and to his credit, he stayed on his feet.

3. Allen appears to be out of his lane. I can't say for sure because I lose track of Allen as the camera angle changes so maybe this was all by design, but check out the pictures.

This is Allen at the start of the kick. http://i52.tinypic.com/ncz6ua.jpg

That's him on the far left running basically down the numbers. Now check out where he's at the next time he appears.

http://i53.tinypic.com/vf0yh.jpg

He's closer to the sideline than he is the numbers. Considering he's engaged, I'm guessing he got pushed out of his lane. If he is able to stay where he's at, he'll clog the lane that Smith ran through.

3. Looking at the glass half full, good effort by Sylvester to run down that kick the whole way. Appreciate that.

- Weird formation but I kind of like it. Full House looking but with two TEs standing up behind each tackle. Pull play to the right. Picture of it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/675gqp.jpg

- Madison and Butler were gunners.

- Play to remember for those who didn't like the draw call on the safety. Ball on our four, 41 seconds left in the first quarter. Run up the middle with Mendenhall. Foster's guy slips to the inside and almost gets Mendenhall in the backfield. He has to wiggle out of the DTs way.

- Jets did a really good job of running the ball. They had a good deal of success in the trenches. Nick Mangold is a monster and their backs got yards after contact.

- Really nice catch by Sanders along the sidelines on 3rd down fairly early in the 2nd quarter. Dragged his right foot in bounds.

- Definitely only got nine yards on a 1st and 10 run by Mendenhall, despite the refs giving us the first down. Even Tomlin admitted to that.

- Good job by Spaeth to use his size to shield the LB on his TD catch. Rocket throw from Ben, too.

- Tough to fault McFadden on the deep ball to Edwards. Really good coverage, just a better throw.

- For this game at least, Moore replaced Redman as the up back on kick returns.

- Fake spike. Pass was off target but we had the defense fooled. Cromartie was really slow in turning his hips and Wallace had him beat. Wasn't expecting it.

- Jets helped us out with some horrible clock management at the end of the first half.

Second Half
- Kemoeatu ran over another LB, Calvin Pace, while pulling. Destroyed Keith Rivers last week.

- Used that weird formation again. Went for a huge gain, 15+ that put us around their five.

- How about this for a jumbo package? Our regular five lineman, David Johnson, Matt Spaeth, Doug Legursky at FB, and Brett Keisel. I guess Tomlin was being serious when he said that would be our real emergency TE. Mendenhall scored on the play.

- Definitely worth pointing out the Jets ran a rollout pass on a 3rd and 1 on the same drive they bootlegged Sanchez on 4th and 1 for the TD.

- We actually pulled Foster a couple times.

- Flozell, usually quiet and calm, loses control and takes a swipe at a Jet. According to Tomlin, Flozell was just trying to push Revis out of our backfield as we were starting to huddle, but you can't take it that far.

- Huge missed sack by Mundy on a safety blitz. Jets ended up picking up a 3rd and 9. This led to a FG that put them up for good, making it 20-17. We had a couple chances to sack Sanchez but couldn't finish. Woodley had a missed opportunity early in the game.

- Flozell tried to run after recovering a fumble. He should have left it to the pros, like Chris Kemoeatu.

- Must say I'm pretty frustrated by letting them pick up a 3rd and 6 with a direct snap to Tomlinson. We sealed the edge to force the play to the inside, as we should, but no one could clog up the inside. We weren't really fooled by the direct snap either. Guys just couldn't get off their blocks.

- Keisel knocked down two passes, one on 3rd and 5 with under three minutes left. Really good awareness. Think he had one pass batted last week.

- Couple more thoughts on the safety.

1. I did like the 3 WR set. Put them in a subpackage set and took away an extra OLB that would be playing tight and could get Moore from the weakside.

2. It's very, very subtle but you see Taylor slide down a step even further to the inside of Scott. This goes along with Kemoeatu thinking he gave the play away with his stance.

3. Pouncey is supposed to block to his left to close any potential gap created by the pull. He did this on the other draw plays and you see an attempt on this play. But he can't get a clean release and can't get over in time.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25i23if.jpg

This is tough to tell because I couldn't get a clean shot. It's a little bit after the fact but that's Pouncey looking to his left to try and help out the tackle.

4. Could Kemoeatu being the only lineman in a three point stance give anything away? Just a thought.

5. For those who say the draw takes longer than a regular dive, you're wrong.

I timed the draw from snap to handoff. Multiple times to get it as accurate as I could. I didn't do it just once. It ended up clocking at .82 seconds. I did the same with the play I talked about above. The dive play with 41 seconds left in the first quarter. That was clocked at .98 seconds from snap to handoff. The draw was actually quicker.

- Clutch pass breakup by Mundy to give us the ball back.

- The pass protection did an excellent job. I actually think I'd rather face a defense that will give you a lot of blitz looks that doesn't have a dominant pass rusher than the other way around. That way, you can combat it by picking up blitzes pre-snap and keeping extra guys in. If you face a guy like Terrell Suggs, there isn't a lot you can do to help. It comes down to winning your battles and with this line, it's a risky move.

Sacks
1. 2nd and 10, 10:20 left in second. 3 WR, 1 TE left, 1 RB right. Ran a stunt with the DT and RE. Scott gets blown back by a good first punch and gets beat around the edge. It was actually a LB playing with his hand down at DT. Manages to trip Ben up.

2. 2nd and 8, 8:58 left in third. Shotgun, 33 WR, 1 TE right, 1 RB left. Heavy blitz look pre-snap but five only rush and the only "unusual" rusher is the nickelback. LE simply beats Flozell to the inside. Sack and FF that we recovered. Believe it or not, but Flozell has gotten beaten more to the inside than around the edge this year.

3. 2nd and 10, 1:23 left in fourth. Shotgun, 5 WR. LB drops back, CB blitzes, Ben doesn't see it. Forced fumble and a big loss. Caused us to use our final timeout.

Sack Counter (Week)
Jonathan Scott: 1
Flozell Adams: 1
Ben Roethlisberger: .5
Defensive Scheme: .5

Sack Counter (Year)
Ben Roethlisberger: 5
Maurkice Pouncey: 4.5
Jonathan Scott: 4
Ramon Foster: 3.5
Flozell Adams: 3.5
Coverage: 2
Chris Kemoeatu: 1.5
Wide Receivers: 1.5
Dennis Dixon: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Rashard Mendenhall: 1
Defensive Scheme: 1
Heath Miller: .5
Mewelde Moore: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Documentation
Empty: 12
Pony: 0
FB: 5

Injuries
Troy has been ruled out for tomorrow's game against Carolina because of his Achilles injury.

Heath Miller is expected to play tomorrow. Good news there.

Arnaz Battle has a rib contusion. His status is up in the air.

Something You Probably Don't Care About
For what it's worth, here were the Steelers I included on my Pro Bowl Ballot.

FB: David Johnson
C: Maurkice Pouncey
ILB: James Farrior
Strong Safety: Troy Polamalu

Merchant
12-22-2010, 08:59 PM
David Johnson a pro-bowler? really?

Chidi29
12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
David Johnson a pro-bowler? really?

I've been extremely impressed with him this year. He's done an excellent job lead blocking. When he is able to lock on, that can still be an issue for him at times, he's going to drive you off the ball.

Plus, it was the FB category. Not exactly a ton of competition out there (though I do realize there are guys like Polite, Hall, and Greg Jones).

Merchant
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Hmm.. not bad for a 7th rounder.

Chidi29
12-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Revis vs Pittsburgh

1st Half

1. 1st and 10, 14:44 in 1st - 2 WR, Revis covered no one. Both WRs to the other side. Pass play.
2. 2nd and 10, 14:38 - 5 WR, Lined up on Ward, takes Sanders who is running a deeper "in route" than Ward after the snap. Pass play.
3. 3rd and 2, 13:55 - 2 WR, Ward. Pass but Ben scrambled for a first down.
4. 1st and 10, 13:09 - 2 WR, Ward. Run
5. 2nd and 7, 12:29 - 1 WR, Wallace. Run
6. 3rd and 2, 11:50 - 3 WR, Ward. Pass
7. 1st and 10, 10:03 - 2 WR, Ward. Run
8. 2nd and 2, 9:20 - 2 WR, Ward. Pass. Definite man coverage on Ward. Revis went with Ward as he motioned.
9. 3rd and 2, 9:15 - 3 WR, Ward. Run
10. 1st and 10, 8:40 - 3 WR, Sanders. Pass
11. 2nd and 10, 8:29 - 2 WR, no one evident. Revis on other side of the field. Run.
12. 3rd and 5, 7:50 - 4 WR, Ward (covered by Revis in slot). Pass.
13. 1st and 10, :41 - 2 WR, no one evident. Ward motions to Revis' side but no visible change in Revis' position. Doesn't creep up closer to the line.
14. 2nd and 1, 15:00 - 2 WR, Ward. Run.
15. 1st and 10, 14:20 - 2 WR, no one evident. Pass. Worth noting this pass ended up being complete to Ward, covered by another CB.
16. 1st and 10, 13:40 - 3 WR, Ward (in slot). Pass.
17. 2nd and 10, 13:33 - 3 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
18. 3rd and 10, 13:28 - 3 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
19. 1st and 10, 12:50 - 3 WR, Sanders. Run.
20. 2nd and 4, 12:10 - 3 WR, Sanders. Run.
21. 3rd and 2, 11:30. 3 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
22. 1st and 10, 11:10 - 3 WR, Sanders. Run.
23. 2nd and 1, 10:25 - 3 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
24. 2nd and 10, 10:20 - 3 WR, Sanders. Pass.
25. 3rd and 17, 3 WR - 3 WR, didn't see Revis out there. Heavy blitz, both corners came. Maybe that's why he was off the field? Or he was playing really deep over the top. Pass.
26. 1st and 10, 9:00 - 5 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
27. 2nd and 6, 8:15 - 3 WR, Ward (slot). Run.
28. 3rd and 4, 7:40 - 5 WR, Sanders. Pass.
29. 1st and 10, 2:42 - 5 WR, playing way off, not really on anyone. Pass.
30. 2nd and 11, 2:10 - 3 WR, Ward. Pass.
31. 1st and 10, 2:00 - 3 WR, Ward (slot). Pass.
32. 1st and 10, 1:55 - 3 WR, Ward (Revis plays off once Ward motions to the inside). Pass.
33. 2nd and 5, 1:35 - WR, Sanders. Pass.
34. 1st and 10, 1:18. 3 WR, again Revis backed off after motion to inside. Pass.
35. 2nd and 1, 1:09 - 3 WR, Sanders. Run.
36. 1st and 10, :50 - 2 WR, Sanders. Pass.
37. 2nd and 10, :48 - 3 WR, can't see any corner, they're all playing off. Pass.
38. 3rd and 10, don't have the time written down. 3 WR, Sanders. Pass. Ben threw to Sanders, incomplete on the out route. Revis had pretty good coverage but wasn't involved in the pass being incomplete.

----------------

I didn't end up doing the second half because I wasn't sure if you wanted me to finish it out or if the information you had was enough. I can go back and finish it if you really want.

I did make mental notes and we only threw on Revis twice in the second half. Both were to Sanders on 10-15 in routes. Both were incomplete.