PDA

View Full Version : December 23, 1972(The immaculate reception)

polamalubeast
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Tomorrow it will be the 38th anniversary of the immaculate reception!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zsdF0ysP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMDIcsUMmA&NR=1

It was the first playoff victory in the history of the steelers!

BigPoppaG
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
That should be put on the Calendar above Permanently.:nod:

GO STEELERS!!!!

memphissteelergirl
12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Classic!! That NEVER gets old!!

venom
12-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Still brings a tear of joy to my eye

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Frenchy can take whatever he wants to the grave, the more I watch this play, the more I see it hitting Tatum first.

Hindes204
12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Frenchy can take whatever he wants to the grave, the more I watch this play, the more I see it hitting Tatum first.

Its been proven by multiple physics professors, it had to hit Tatum. The trajectory that the ball took could not have happened if it hit Fuqua first. Besides, dosnt really matter who touched it first, as long as it hit Tatum before Harris got the ball

steelerdude15
12-23-2010, 12:35 AM
The greatest play in football history.

polamalubeast
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
The Immaculate Reception

Steelers beat Raiders on one of NFL's craziest plays

In 1972, the Pittsburgh Steelers completed their fortieth season by advancing to the playoffs for only the second time. Their first postseason appearance had been brief (a 21-0 loss to Philadelphia in 1947), and these Steelers seemed headed for a similar fate.

Harris races home with the "Immaculate Reception"

With 22 seconds left in an AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh trailed the Oakland Raiders, 7-6 and faced fourth-and-10 from its 40-yard line. Art Rooney, the club's owner and founder, headed down the elevator to the locker room to console his team, thereby missing one of the wackiest plays and one of the most fantastic finishes in NFL history.

Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw dropped back to pass, but the Raiders flushed him out of the pocket to the right. He saw running back John (Frenchy) Fuqua over the middle at the Raiders' 35, and with defenders closing, Bradshaw fired a pass toward Fuqua.

Fuqua, Raiders safety Jack Tatum and the ball converged simultaneously, and out popped the ball. The Raiders began to celebrate, not realizing that rookie running back Franco Harris, trailing the play at the Raiders' 42, had picked the ball out of the air at his shoe tops and taken off down the left sideline. Some Raiders gave chase, but they could not stop Harris from running to the end zone.

Touchdown? Nobody knew, including the officials. The Raiders argued that Fuqua had batted the ball to Harris (the rules of the time did not permit consecutive touches by offensive players). If Tatum had batted the ball, the play would have been a touchdown.

Referee Fred Swearingen, after consulting with NFL supervisor of officials Art McNally, came back on the field and ruled the play a touchdown. Pittsburgh kicked the extra point to take a 13-7 lead with five seconds left, a score that was finalized moments later.

For a franchise cursed by a four-decade run of bad luck, the "Immaculate Reception" amounted to an unbelievable dose of good fortune -- and a welcome turning point.

http://www.profootballhof.com/story/2005/1/1/762/

CPanther95
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Its been proven by multiple physics professors, it had to hit Tatum. The trajectory that the ball took could not have happened if it hit Fuqua first. Besides, dosnt really matter who touched it first, as long as it hit Tatum before Harris got the ball

Bottom line is that even with today's scrutiny, if the play was reviewed it might not come back "Call Confirmed" but it would definitely come back as "Call Stands". No chance it would have been overturned.

stlrtruck
12-23-2010, 10:32 AM

He can take it to the grave but it's on my top 10 list to ask God when I get to heaven :heh:

7SteelGal43
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
wonder how the Oakland Raiders fans are celebratin' today ? :tongue1:

polamalubeast
12-24-2010, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9waq6BCQyOQ&feature=related

polamalubeast
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
39th anniversary tomorrow!

Best play ever!