PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette Fired Up After Steelers’ Loss

stillers4me
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Pittsburgh (93-7 The FAN) – Post-Gazette Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette joined the Fan Morning Show after the Steelers’ 22-17 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.
Bouchette was fired up to discuss the safety play in the fourth quarter. He thought the play was “suicide” and the team was trying to commit an “intentional safety.” He doesn’t understand why the team would not just use their running game to game some extra yards.

Bouchette said, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, who missed the game with and injured right Achilles, would have had two pick-sixes and three sacks with the way Jets QB Mark Sanchez was throwing the ball................

Listen @ http://burgh.us/8m

BlastFurnace
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I know you read his PG+ stuff as well. He's been pretty fired up in some of the things he has been writing as well for the last couple of weeks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm sure Ed is being a bit over the top about the intentional safety, but I do think the play was risky. Probably went to the well too often and this time in their own end zone.

A couple times I caught myself wondering what would Brian Schottenheimer have done in the same situation??? He called a nice game for the Jets.

HometownGal
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda Ed. With the progress the O made yesterday, shouldn't you be fired up about that instead of nitpicking a play that had every chance in the world of being successful had our OLman not whiffed on blocking Taylor? :doh:

Anywho how, the game is over, we lost - so be it. We clinched a playoff spot and have a great shot at winning the division and the bye. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to get "fired up" about the next 2 games instead of looking back on the ifs, whys and becauses which won't change the outcome of yesterday's game anyway.

fansince'76
12-20-2010, 01:03 PM
A couple times I caught myself wondering what would Brian Schottenheimer have done in the same situation??? He called a nice game for the Jets.

If Schottenheimer hadn't made a pretty questionable move himself, we probably wouldn't have gotten the ball back in the last 2:30 of the game with 1 timeout and the two minute warning in our pocket with a chance to go ahead and if Spaeth could actually catch, it more than likely would have come back to bite him in the ass. Letting Sanchez pass with a 3rd-and-3 and 2:24 left to go on the clock, which was incomplete, forcing a punt and essentially giving us a free timeout? Really? I can just hear the vitriol aimed at Arians had he done the same thing in the same situation, win or lose. Just saying.

BuddhaBus
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
If Schottenheimer hadn't made a pretty questionable move himself, we probably wouldn't have gotten the ball back in the last 2:30 of the game with 1 timeout and the two minute warning in our pocket with a chance to go ahead and if Spaeth could actually catch, it more than likely would have come back to bite him in the ass. Letting Sanchez pass with a 3rd-and-3 and 2:24 left to go on the clock, which was incomplete, forcing a punt and essentially giving us a free timeout? Really? I can just hear the vitriol aimed at Arians had he done the same thing in the same situation, win or lose. Just saying.

Yeah, I couldn't believe our good fortune at the time. I was thinking "what a bone-head play call" at the time. It definitely gave us some added life at the end. Spaeth catches that TD at the end and Schottenheimer is getting torched today. Too bad Troy wasn't there to strip/sack him like Flacco.

steelerdude15
12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
There were some questionable calls and calls not made yesterday. That helmet to helmet call wasn't helmet to helmet from what I've seen. How about that ref who was from southern California and had to wear gloves and blah, never heard of anything like that before. I never would have imagine losing Heath would have hurt us the way it has, Heath would have caught that ball.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 05:19 PM

IDK, when I watch the Jets offense with a young and somewhat shaky looking Sanchez, I cant help but think I like the way the guy mixes up the run and pass. He had the Steelers defense worn down and guessing a lot.

So the guy calls a pass and tries to move the chains on the opponents side of the field?? If he just lines up and hands it off, then maybe doesnt move the chains. I liked watching the balanced attack of the Jets and cant help but think that Sanchez was the limiting factor that kept us in it.

Jets offense wears the opposing front 7 down. The Steelers offense just makes opposing DB's tired from running downfield.