PDA

View Full Version : Defense, special teams not so special in Steelers' 22-17 loss

stillers4me
12-20-2010, 04:53 AM
The Steelers did not cede control of the AFC North to their most bitter rivals following a gut-wrenching 22-17 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.

But they certainly reduced their margin for error.

The Steelers (10-4) clinched a playoff berth despite the loss. Whether they win their third division title under coach Mike Tomlin and secure a first-round playoff bye will be determined the next two weeks.

The manner in which they clinched their place in the postseason -- failing to make timely stops on defense and coming up on offense on what would have been the most improbable touchdown drive of the season -- had Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney shaking his head as he made his way around a quiet locker room last night.
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has built a career on engineering fourth-quarter comebacks, but he misfired on two throws from the Jets' 10-yard line at the end of the game.

There was some finger-pointing in the Steelers locker room, but it was the defensive players blaming themselves after allowing the Jets (10-4) to convert 50 percent of the time on third and fourth down.

"We stunk on defense," free safety Ryan Clark said........................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714502.html

steeldawg
12-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Wait, we still clinched?

X-Terminator
12-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Wait, we still clinched?

Yes, based on the strength of victory tiebreaker.

Edman
12-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Still doesn't take away from the sting of losing.

We're a better team than the Jests, but they wanted it more this day.

steeldawg
12-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Yes, based on the strength of victory tiebreaker.

Well thats good news, takes a little sting out of the loss.

HometownGal
12-20-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm already over the loss but I think a key play, in addition to the safety in the EZ which cost us a chance to at least tie the game and send it into OT with a FG, was the D being fooled by the bootleg by Sanchump on 4th down which gave the Jets a TD. :doh: The Jets being able to convert on 3rd and 4th down 50% of the game also didn't help matters.

We all know our D is capable of playing much better than they did yesterday, even without Troy, and I think this loss embarrassed them deeply. It's going to suck to be the Panthers O on Thursday.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Bottom line...our blitzes don't fool anyone any longer. As a matter of fact, there isn't even any pressure on most QB's we face. When our defensive players have to plead with LeBeau to turn up the heat, then the problem isn't only with the players, but the coaches.

zulater
12-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has built a career on engineering fourth-quarter comebacks, but he misfired on two throws from the Jets' 10-yard line at the end of the game

He misfired? Really, I thought he made two great throws at the end, if Spaeth would have kept his worthless ass out of the way on the second to last pass that's the game winner to sanders. As it was, dumb ass Spaeth still managed to get his two worthless hands on the ball, so I really can't see how that qualifies as a misfire?

Also the last pass of the game, Ben put the ball in the only place where the receiver could make a play, it was a narrow window, but a great pass catcher makes that catch all the same. there was nothing wrong with the pass.

Texasteel
12-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has built a career on engineering fourth-quarter comebacks, but he misfired on two throws from the Jets' 10-yard line at the end of the game

He misfired? Really, I thought he made two great throws at the end, if Spaeth would have kept his worthless ass out of the way on the second to last pass that's the game winner to sanders. As it was, dumb ass Spaeth still managed to get his two worthless hands on the ball, so I really can't see how that qualifies as a misfire?

Also the last pass of the game, Ben put the ball in the only place where the receiver could make a play, it was a narrow window, but a great pass catcher makes that catch all the same. there was nothing wrong with the pass.

I kinda agree with you. Spaeth had to have ran the wrong rout or he would not have be there to defend against Sander. I originally thought that that last pass had no chance, but when they showed it for Bens position the ball hit Spaeth right in the hands. Yes there was a hand in his face but I have to believe that Heath makes that catch. I actually thought that Miller being out was the difference in this game, but you never know for sure.

Crow-Magnon
12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Bottom line...our blitzes don't fool anyone any longer. As a matter of fact, there isn't even any pressure on most QB's we face. When our defensive players have to plead with LeBeau to turn up the heat, then the problem isn't only with the players, but the coaches.

I'll let Flacco know that. :wtf:

X-Terminator
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
I kinda agree with you. Spaeth had to have ran the wrong rout or he would not have be there to defend against Sander. I originally thought that that last pass had no chance, but when they showed it for Bens position the ball hit Spaeth right in the hands. Yes there was a hand in his face but I have to believe that Heath makes that catch. I actually thought that Miller being out was the difference in this game, but you never know for sure.

I think Heath makes that catch - on either play - for sure. I don't know what the hell that reporter was talking about - those were not misfires by Ben. Stone-Hands Spaeth himself said that he should have made the play on the 2nd-to-last throw especially, but he goofed. Yeah Matt, you definitely did. Ruined a hell of a drive engineered by Ben and BA.

SteelGhost
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM

It was sad to see Sanchez with his ugly uni clean all game long :doh2: