PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: 1-3 against the AFC playoff contenders.

Edman
12-19-2010, 11:13 PM
The only win coming against Baltimore in Week 12. Losses to the Ravens, Pats and Jets at home sting. The Pats destroyed us and the Jests just recently stole another. For whatever reason, this season the Steelers have a hard time playing at home. This game was ours, and it infuriates me.

There's a very likely chance the Steelers will see these teams again should they make the playoffs. Do you like our chances?

tube517
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
While I'm sick that we've lost 3 home games, never say never. They are 7-1 since 2005 in the playoffs with this core group. While I think it is their last stand (as a group),I never say never. I think it will be much harder this year but I wouldn't count this group out.

CPanther95
12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
At least we're not giving up sloppy losses to crappy teams. Our four losses came against the #1 record in the AFC, #2 record in the AFC (x2), and the #2 in the NFC. And we have wins against the #1 in the NFC and #2 in the AFC.

fansince'76
12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I still don't think we have a good enough OL to win it all. However, I thought the same thing in 2008....

NCSteeler
12-19-2010, 11:27 PM
To hell with the O line, we can't keep spotting the other team 35 yard line starting position. For the last 6 weeks or so "Short Bus" teams has been terrible.

Craic
12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
I say we have the ability to go deep into the playoffs IF-- and that is a BIG IF-- what we saw today from the offense is a sign of things to come.

Here is how I come to that conclusion:

If only either of 2 interference penalties were called in the last drive (specially the first penalty on that drive. we'd probably be talking about how the Steelers won this game. Matter of fact, as someone else has already mentioned, the ONLY team that really beat us was the Pats*. Every other team, we beat ourselves (N.O. is iffy, so a game and a half). That means we only have to meet 1 team before the SB that actually beat us. If we take care of business, that won't happen until the AFCCG.

Add to the fact that one of our key weapons is out right now (Heath Miller), the rookie WR's are really stepping up to the plate, and Wallace looks to be making a name for himself as a Steelers receiver, I think our offense is just about to hit its stride.

Another two weeks, and the rooks will probably be about 15-20 percent better. Why? Because they are at the bend in the learning curve right now (14 games in), and Sanders especially is looking like he is flying around the curve. They're not yet at the point where the game slows down, but rather, they are able to absorb all the lessons now-and put the lessons into practice. You can tell by how they aren't seeming to make the same mistakes twice anymore. I saw no bad routes today. There were a few sloppy routes ran, but the decisions on the route trees seem to be getting better.

The quicker pace really helped the line today. Honestly, there was only 1, maybe 2 glaring mistakes made by this line. Two more weeks in this quicker offense will do wonders for the line IMO.

We not only moved the ball much better, but we seemed to be able to find the endzone. Pass plays were disguised as run plays, run plays disguised as pass plays, we actually were clicking on offense.

On DEFENSE-- We get Troy back. That is VERY big. Then, there is an outside chance that we will ALSO get Aaron back! That is also VERY big. While I do NOT think losing those two is the cause of all our problems, they are two EXCELLENT players that we need on the field.

McFadden was put in places to succeed today, and he played well. If Lebeau is recognizing these problems, then we will start to see more adjustments on D as well.

This game was a game not of "missed opportunities" but rather, of "Just a half inch that way " opportunities.

With two games to go, I think this team is hitting its stride. The offense is firing up. The defense will be healthy for the playoffs, Mendy seems to be really settling into his role. We only have two teams that beat us-and will only face 1 of those (maybe) before the SB.

I think we just may be poised for a VERY DEEP RUN!

I have never been so upbeat after a loss by this team!

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Of course I like their chances. Does anyone not remember 2008? The Steelers were not the best team that season, but ended up being the last man standing. All they had to do was get in. Mission accomplished, so now they can go and play without any pressure, because they won't be expected to win the Super Bowl. That may play right into their hands. The Cards had no business making it to SB 43, and the Jets had no business being in the playoffs at all last year, much less make it to the AFCC. The Steelers with no pressure will be, IMO, a very dangerous team for the favorites.

tube517
12-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I feel the exact same way. While I almost hyperventilated and had to take my BP pill after the game, I actually feel better about the team and its chances. We have to take care of business in the next 2 games but we are in. Troy and possibly Aaron for the playoffs would be HUGE. The 2 "money" receivers are looking better and Wallace has made some nice progress this year. I say watch out.

I say we have the ability to go deep into the playoffs IF-- and that is a BIG IF-- what we saw today from the offense is a sign of things to come.

Here is how I come to that conclusion:

If only either of 2 interference penalties were called in the last drive (specially the first penalty on that drive. we'd probably be talking about how the Steelers won this game. Matter of fact, as someone else has already mentioned, the ONLY team that really beat us was the Pats*. Every other team, we beat ourselves (N.O. is iffy, so a game and a half). That means we only have to meet 1 team before the SB that actually beat us. If we take care of business, that won't happen until the AFCCG.

Add to the fact that one of our key weapons is out right now (Heath Miller), the rookie WR's are really stepping up to the plate, and Wallace looks to be making a name for himself as a Steelers receiver, I think our offense is just about to hit its stride.

Another two weeks, and the rooks will probably be about 15-20 percent better. Why? Because they are at the bend in the learning curve right now (14 games in), and Sanders especially is looking like he is flying around the curve. They're not yet at the point where the game slows down, but rather, they are able to absorb all the lessons now-and put the lessons into practice. You can tell by how they aren't seeming to make the same mistakes twice anymore. I saw no bad routes today. There were a few sloppy routes ran, but the decisions on the route trees seem to be getting better.

The quicker pace really helped the line today. Honestly, there was only 1, maybe 2 glaring mistakes made by this line. Two more weeks in this quicker offense will do wonders for the line IMO.

We not only moved the ball much better, but we seemed to be able to find the endzone. Pass plays were disguised as run plays, run plays disguised as pass plays, we actually were clicking on offense.

On DEFENSE-- We get Troy back. That is VERY big. Then, there is an outside chance that we will ALSO get Aaron back! That is also VERY big. While I do NOT think losing those two is the cause of all our problems, they are two EXCELLENT players that we need on the field.

McFadden was put in places to succeed today, and he played well. If Lebeau is recognizing these problems, then we will start to see more adjustments on D as well.

This game was a game not of "missed opportunities" but rather, of "Just a half inch that way " opportunities.

With two games to go, I think this team is hitting its stride. The offense is firing up. The defense will be healthy for the playoffs, Mendy seems to be really settling into his role. We only have two teams that beat us-and will only face 1 of those (maybe) before the SB.

I think we just may be poised for a VERY DEEP RUN!

I have never been so upbeat after a loss by this team!

steelreserve
12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
The good thing is that they've all been close games that, with the exception of the Pats game, came down to the last play. It's not like we're getting outclassed or don't belong on the field. And the way I look at it, every game against the Pats is like a hand of blackjack anyway, so if they're the team we have to go through to make it to the Super Bowl, things are no different than usual.

Craic
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
The good thing is that they've all been close games that, with the exception of the Pats game, came down to the last play. It's not like we're getting outclassed or don't belong on the field. And the way I look at it, every game against the Pats is like a hand of blackjack anyway, so if they're the team we have to go through to make it to the Super Bowl, things are no different than usual.

And in all honesty, we need to exorcise that demon as well, or this core group will always be thought of as the team that could win the SB, if they didn't have to play the Pats* (cheating included).

zulater
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
The only win coming against Baltimore in Week 12. Losses to the Ravens, Pats and Jets at home sting. The Pats destroyed us and the Jests just recently stole another. For whatever reason, this season the Steelers have a hard time playing at home. This game was ours, and it infuriates me.

There's a very likely chance the Steelers will see these teams again should they make the playoffs. Do you like our chances?

Yeah I do. Against anyone but the Patriots I think we're a pretty solid choice. Against the Pats, I think we might surprise people.

Basically we were a play away from winning all of those games except for the Patriots.

If we can win the next two, and get ourselves a bye, I'm pretty confident this team will advance at least to the AFC title game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I still don't think we have a good enough OL to win it all. However, I thought the same thing in 2008....

I agree, but in 2008 we at least had a better D-line IMO. Now I think we are too old, injured and thin on the D-line to make up for the offensive problems.

Craic
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I agree, but in 2008 we at least had a better D-line IMO. Now I think we are too old, injured and thin on the D-line to make up for the offensive problems.

You fail to account for

http://brassblogs.com/wp-content/files/2009/11/Ziggy.jpg

:chuckle:

fansince'76
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Basically we were a play away from winning all of those games except for the Patriots.

We were two dropped TD passes away from making that one a game too. I'd like to think the whole damn team doesn't come out sleepwalking in the playoffs the way they did in that game.

zulater
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
We were two dropped TD passes away from making that one a game too. I'd like to think the whole damn team doesn't come out sleepwalking in the playoffs the way they did in that game.

Hopefully they learned something from Green Bay last night about the Patriots. Actually go back to how the Saints won last years SB. Against real solid teams that don't figure to beat themselves you've got to think outside the box, and do the unconventional here and there. Come to think of it, that's sorta what happened yesterday with us against the Jets. The Jets came in and played as if they were using found money. I think we need to adopt that attitude if we run into the Pats again.

stillers4me
12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
2008 - we lost to the Colts, the Titans, the Giants and the Eagles. Without actually looking it up, they all sound like playoff teams to me.

JayC
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM
i rather lose now to them than in the playoffs

PalmerSteel
12-20-2010, 11:41 AM
only thing that means is we need to play better to get to the super bowl. isnt that a given already? we all know that and we all know we are capable of playing better. whether it happens by the playoffs, we shall see. we have just as much of a chance as anyone. whether the season ends in january or february, just enjoy every moment while you can. football will be done soon! :(

BigPoppaG
12-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I look at it this way, what that gave us was a true showing of what we are up against in the playoffs. The win/loss will truly count then. Maybe we can make adjustments and DESTROY them then.....when it truly will count.