PDA

View Full Version : My Only Question is...

XxKnightxX
12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Who made the call on that safety? Was it BA? Was it Ben? Or was it Tomlin or John Kuhn?
If it was BA, I cant really take away from his great playcalling today, but that one play cost us the game. Add that on to the hate list.

If it Was Ben? Why would you call such a play in that formation with your backup running back?

Feel free to add on guys, Im not gonna argue, Panthers on Thursday, Lets focus on the division.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 07:54 PM
BA more than likely made the call, but again, the play would have gone for a good chunk of yardage had Scott not whiffed on his block. I have no problem with the call.

salamander
12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
It was more of another example of poor execution moreso than just poor play-calling. Had Scott not shit himself on that block who knows what could've happened.

XxKnightxX
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
BA more than likely made the call, but again, the play would have gone for a good chunk of yardage had Scott not whiffed on his block. I have no problem with the call.

Unfortunately I do, were backed up on our own endzone on the 2, Rex Ryan is licking his chops and we call a shotgun formation and do a running play out of that, Id rather be on a Straight up run formation. Wether it was a pass or run formation it wasnt gonna stop the jets or Jason Taylor from jumping the snap count, something Ben should have hard counted, and rex Ryan from possibly sending the house, sure we were trying to go on a comeback drive, but conventional wisdom says if youre gonna run out of that formation do man to man blocking. Everyone knows Kemo pulls on our bread and butter power O. But whatever, Id rather have the balls in the hands of my playmakers, aka Ben, Not mewelde moore.

XxKnightxX
12-19-2010, 08:00 PM
It was more of another example of poor execution moreso than just poor play-calling. Had Scott not shit himself on that block who knows what could've happened.

Yeah I guess he was trying to give a confidence play call to the Line and 4 out of 5 executed, and that turned out to be a disaster.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I'll say this much.

I don't think it's BA's choosing as to what back is in the game. I think that is Kirby Wilson's call. Remember hearing that Wilson put Redman in the game on his game-winning catch against Baltimore when Moore should have been out there.

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I think that it was one of those calls that if it works it's a great call, if not,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well it didn't. I will say that this play had been working all game, and it looked to me that if he had gotten back to the line he had a lot of room to run. I'm not going to hammer on Scott to hard, but I wish he would have gotten a piece of this block so I would know if I was right or not.

salamander
12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I think that it was one of those calls that if it works it's a great call, if not,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well it didn't. I will say that this play had been working all game, and it looked to me that if he had gotten back to the line he had a lot of room to run. I'm not going to hammer on Scott to hard, but I wish he would have gotten a piece of this block so I would know if I was right or not.

I noticed that too. Like I said, who knows what could've happened if Scott had gotten that block.

tube517
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
With this OL? But, even with a decent O-line, a run out of the shotgun in your end zone is not the best call when you are down 20-17. As someone else said, I'd rather it be a straight run, being backed up that deep.

Otherwise, BA called a good game and made better adjustments. And I am definitely a BA hater.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Exactly. Even the guys on the radio said that Moore would still be running if Scott just chips Taylor. He had the whole right side of the field open with 2 lead blockers ahead of him. So yes, execution, or lack thereof, was responsible for the play being blown up. But I'm sure BA will be blamed anyway.

43Hitman
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a huge problem with that call no matter who the running back is. The fact that our o-line is a walking MASH unit alone should dictate that we go max protect and run that damn thing right up the middle from under center NOT SHOTGUN FORMATION!. Other than that, I thought BA called a great game, its just to bad that the one HORRIBLE call resulted in us being unable to tie the game and put it into overtime.

zulater
12-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Exactly. Even the guys on the radio said that Moore would still be running if Scott just chips Taylor. He had the whole right side of the field open with 2 lead blockers ahead of him. So yes, execution, or lack thereof, was responsible for the play being blown up. But I'm sure BA will be blamed anyway.

Knowing your teams respective strenghts and weaknesses should factor into play calling no?

zulater
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a huge problem with that call no matter who the running back is. The fact that our o-line is a walking MASH unit alone should dictate that we go max protect and run that damn thing right up the middle from under center NOT SHOTGUN FORMATION!. Other than that, I thought BA called a great game, its just to bad that the one HORRIBLE call resulted in us being unable to tie the game and put it into overtime.

Bingo!

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Knowing your teams respective strenghts and weaknesses should factor into play calling no?

I still don't have a problem with it. If the rest of you want to bash BA, go right ahead. The damn thing would have worked if it was executed properly, plain and simple.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Whoever made the playcall is irrelevant to taking the blame for the play resulting in a safety. When you're pinned that deep in your territory, you can't be hit for a friggin' loss, and that's the O-line's fault. Period.

Normally i would say "Cheer up Scott, rise to the occasion next week," but he's just been stagnant in the improvement category...

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Does anyone else remember when one of their lineman got inside of Foster and almost got to Mendenhall earlier in the game when we were backed up? That could be another reason for the draw which honestly isn't all that different from the regular trap play we run. Moore would actually have been farther in the backfield if we lined up in singleback.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Our draw plays were working pretty well today, no?

zulater
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Our draw plays were working pretty well today, no?

Didn't work on that one did it?

SteelerEmpire
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
My girlfriend said, "he's (Ben) gonna give it to that guy standing next (Moore) to him I bet". My girlfriend knows absolutly nothing about football. Arians is too predictable... I KNOW the Jets defense saw that play coming...

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Didn't work on that one did it?

I guess Arians forgot to bring his crystal ball.

But thanks Captain Hindsight. We all know that's how games should be called.

Count Steeler
12-19-2010, 09:03 PM
My girlfriend said, "he's (Ben) gonna give it to that guy standing next (Moore) to him I bet". My girlfriend knows absolutly nothing about football. Arians is too predictable... I KNOW the Jets defense saw that play coming...

Perhaps your girlfriend can help out Lebeau?

zulater
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I guess Arians forgot to bring his crystal ball.

But thanks Captain Hindsight. We all know that's how games should be called.

Hey people want to call out a mediocre back up OT who played his ass off for the majority of the game and claim he lost the game and you're fine with that, but god forbid someone put any blame on the OC.

yeah I'm down with it Chidi. .

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 09:07 PM

If that was the case, why did only one Jet defend it? That being the one Scott forgot he was suppose to block.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey people want to call out a mediocre back up OT who played his ass off for the majority of the game and claim he lost the game and you're fine with that, but god forbid someone put any blame on the OC.

yeah I'm down with it Chidi. .

Oh yeah, I definitely said he lost the game. Totally.

All I said was that he screwed up the assignment. Which he did. And it cost us, even if he had a great game overall (which he did).

zulater
12-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, I definitely said he lost the game. Totally.

All I said was that he screwed up the assignment. Which he did. And it cost us, even if he had a great game overall (which he did).

A lot of people and things cost us today. I hate pinning it all on one play, which many seem to be doing here.

You don't think Bruce is sitting somewhere right now second guessing that play call? Maybe thinking Jason Taylor isn't a great one on one match up with Jonathan Scott relative to game situation?

It's all part of it.

steel9guy
12-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Guys settle down, the play call was great. Any team with a crappy Oline should be calling slow stretch plays in the endzone. Whoever called it is a genius. They know football and deserve to call every play. Jonathan Scott is one of the greatest Steelers O Line starters in the history of the franchise. He could probably handle ray lewis, jayson taylor and terrel suggs all at once. He never screws up. If we keep thinking out our critical plays like this we will be fine and on our way to Dallas in February!

solardave
12-20-2010, 01:27 AM

The call was right. The execution by Scott sucked!!!

DaRealGage
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
you go shotgun and hand the ball off? hmmm no that was stupid. Shotgun already puts you back some yards as it is....a simple hand off would have been the better call. Just saying...

steelpride12
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't see why this is going to be a big deal and why everyone is jumping on the Play calling. It had nothing to do with the call it was a good play and would have worked well, but when a player like Scott doesn't execute and misses a block things go wrong.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't see why this is going to be a big deal and why everyone is jumping on the Play calling. It had nothing to do with the call it was a good play and would have worked well, but when a player like Scott doesn't execute and misses a block things go wrong.

You're one of the very few that is saying this today about that play that resulted in a safety. That play is being ripped all morning by nearly everyone I have heard, whether it be a national or local radio show.

steelpride12
12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
You're one of the very few that is saying this today about that play that resulted in a safety. That play is being ripped all morning by nearly everyone I have heard, whether it be a national or local radio show.
You know it sucks because Scott whiffed on that play and caused a safety and ya we loss...OH WELL. Just don't see the point in crying and bitching about spilled milk all week long and we all knew BA would get the blame because when doesn't he. This is getting old.

ALLD
12-20-2010, 09:40 AM
The entire game came down to just a few plays. The Jets made them and we didn't. The game plan was fine, but execution was poor at critical times. Those individuals who did not make the plays should be riding the pine against Carolina. Time to get it together, not start coasting. We did not play championship ball yesterday.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM

You know, I thought that too, but then I must have replayed it 15 times and I doubt that Max Starks, Trai Essex can make that block.

Jason Taylor was shaded over Kemo's left shoulder and did exactly what you do when a Guard pulls in front of you. (you slant towards his backside). Its a long reach block for any OT on a quick guy like Jason Taylor. If Taylor lines up on the inside shoulder of Scott, its a much more makeable block.

I still think its a terrible call to run a shotgun draw to Moore from the endzone and pulling to allow somebody to shoot the gap. If he wants to make that call, probably better off to "zone block right" with Mendenhall to at least get a hat on a hat.

zulater
12-20-2010, 10:47 AM
You know, I thought that too, but then I must have replayed it 15 times and I doubt that Max Starks, Trai Essex can make that block.

Jason Taylor was shaded over Kemo's left shoulder and did exactly what you do when a Guard pulls in front of you. (you slant towards his backside). Its a long reach block for any OT on a quick guy like Jason Taylor. If Taylor lines up on the inside shoulder of Scott, its a much more makeable block.

I still think its a terrible call to run a shotgun draw to Moore from the endzone and pulling to allow somebody to shoot the gap. If he wants to make that call, probably better off to "zone block right" with Mendenhall to at least get a hat on a hat.

Kemo believes he might have tipped Taylor off as to the play call with his stance. That's not all that uncommon for an offensive lineman to cheat a little for a head start, and Taylor while a shell of his former self talent wise, is a savvy enough veteran to pick up on that sort of tell.

XxKnightxX
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
So If taylor was outside of Kemos shoulders you dive your ass in and cut him in the knees, its common football god knows how many times I did that playing football myself. Is it an easy block? Of course not but the best thing to do is just dive at his knees, dont worry if hes out for the season youre trying to win a game, its the legal clipping zone. Anyway Im over it, Im just glad were in the playoffs regardless and that we didnt run that play on a playoff game and that we sure as hell hope the coaching staff learns from it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Kemo believes he might have tipped Taylor off as to the play call with his stance. That's not all that uncommon for an offensive lineman to cheat a little for a head start, and Taylor while a shell of his former self talent wise, is a savvy enough veteran to pick up on that sort of tell.

Where did you see the Kemo comment???

I watched that play over and over again. I kept thinking that even if Scott dives at Taylor's legs....MAYBE he gets there to slow him down. Taylor made a great play, but maybe he figured out the call once they lined up.

I still think running a draw from your own endzone is a risky call. Would rather have just let Ben throw a quick slant or hitch to somebody. If it wasnt there he could always throw it away.

zulater
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Where did you see the Kemo comment???

I watched that play over and over again. I kept thinking that even if Scott dives at Taylor's legs....MAYBE he gets there to slow him down. Taylor made a great play, but maybe he figured out the call once they lined up.

I still think running a draw from your own endzone is a risky call. Would rather have just let Ben throw a quick slant or hitch to somebody. If it wasnt there he could always throw it away.

One breakdown cost the Steelers two points when Jets linebacker Jason Taylor tackled running back Mewelde Moore for a 3-yard loss and a safety with 2:45 left. Kemoeatu, the left guard, pulled to lead Moore off the right side and Taylor sliced through that gap inside of left tackle Jonathan Scott to make the play. "That's a tough block for Scott," Kemoeatu said. "[Taylor] came in right off my hip. I think I gave away my stance. I've got to do a better job disguising it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10354/1112165-87.stm#ixzz18fjltRlK

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
So If taylor was outside of Kemos shoulders you dive your ass in and cut him in the knees, its common football god knows how many times I did that playing football myself. Is it an easy block? Of course not but the best thing to do is just dive at his knees, dont worry if hes out for the season youre trying to win a game, its the legal clipping zone. Anyway Im over it, Im just glad were in the playoffs regardless and that we didnt run that play on a playoff game and that we sure as hell hope the coaching staff learns from it.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. I believe that Scott was in a 2 point stance to show pass. For me its an easier block to make when you are in a 3 point stance to go low and cut Taylor. I was thinking that Scott might have to almost pull like a sweep block to cut off Taylor.

I too didnt expect much without Troy, Miller out and Aaron Smith gone for the season. Could have won it, but still have to win out. Gonna be fun to watch, but this is not a super bowl caliber team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
One breakdown cost the Steelers two points when Jets linebacker Jason Taylor tackled running back Mewelde Moore for a 3-yard loss and a safety with 2:45 left. Kemoeatu, the left guard, pulled to lead Moore off the right side and Taylor sliced through that gap inside of left tackle Jonathan Scott to make the play. "That's a tough block for Scott," Kemoeatu said. "[Taylor] came in right off my hip. I think I gave away my stance. I've got to do a better job disguising it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10354/1112165-87.stm#ixzz18fjltRlK

Thanks for the link. Great Find!!!

Most of the armchair GM's here will still discount it and think its all Scott's fault. Like I said before ......IMO, Max Starks doesnt make that block either. Neither are quick enough.

Craic
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately I do, were backed up on our own endzone on the 2, Rex Ryan is licking his chops and we call a shotgun formation and do a running play out of that, Id rather be on a Straight up run formation. Wether it was a pass or run formation it wasnt gonna stop the jets or Jason Taylor from jumping the snap count, something Ben should have hard counted, and rex Ryan from possibly sending the house, sure we were trying to go on a comeback drive, but conventional wisdom says if youre gonna run out of that formation do man to man blocking. Everyone knows Kemo pulls on our bread and butter power O. But whatever, Id rather have the balls in the hands of my playmakers, aka Ben, Not mewelde moore.

Last night, I was completely in this line of thought.

This morning, as I am thinking it over again, two other points come to mind.

1. How many times have we gone to the I formation or the single back running straight ahead when we were that close to the our own goal line, only to get stuffed and barely make it out of the endzone on first and second down- and have to throw for 10-12 yards on third down?

2. A stat quoted last night (trying to remember the specifics) was that the I formation on short yardage was stopped almost every time (this year I think...). While the goal line isn't short yardage, I am not sure if the I formation is any more effective there.

IMO, in hindsight, a play action pass may have hit for 20, 30 yards. But that is MMQBing.

I still think running sideline to sideline isn't a good thing. But I am understanding better why it was called.

zulater
12-20-2010, 11:22 AM
One last thing before I go. I'm not pinning this loss on Arians. But I don't think he can be fully absolved either as many of you want to do in his case. ( to borrow loosely from Chris Berman, " nobody circles the wagons better than the Arians defense league :chuckle:) couldn't resist :wink02:

Bottom line this was a team loss, there was a whole lot of plays that could have been done differently that would have helped the cause. There were a whole lot of Steelers that could have played better, or at least stepped up and made a timely play that didn't. Guy's who make millions of dollars and pro bowls are a lot more accountable for the loss yesterday than a stop gap OLT. Same is true of the coaching staff, they have a degree of accountability that is assumed with the mantle.

So please, no more scapegoating of Jonathan Scott, Matt Spaeth, and Ryan Mundy.

HometownGal
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Not a shocker there. Hell would freeze over and we'd all die an icy, frigid death if BA wasn't scapegoated this morning like he is after every game even if the D shits the bed, ST's gives up a TD or a backup OL fucks up. Didn't you get the Memo - he's responsible for every unit on the team. Silly you. ;)

I have no problem with the call. I have a problem with the execution but its water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Scott played a decent game overall and though his/Kemo's one fuck up played a teensie weensie part in yesterday's loss, the D allowing the Jets to convert 50% of their 3rd and 4th downs and letting them back in the game when the O had a lead, along with our ST's not only :poop:ing the bed but developing the "rhea" on that play, played a much larger role in us ending up with the L yesterday imho.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
So please, no more scapegoating of Jonathan Scott, Matt Spaeth, and Ryan Mundy.

OK, lets blame Suisham then. If we can scapegoat somebody, lets just throw a kicker under the bus.

SMR
12-20-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, lets blame Suisham then. If we can scapegoat somebody, lets just throw a kicker under the bus.

LOL, cute. I see your point.

Chidi29
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
A lot of people and things cost us today. I hate pinning it all on one play, which many seem to be doing here.

You don't think Bruce is sitting somewhere right now second guessing that play call? Maybe thinking Jason Taylor isn't a great one on one match up with Jonathan Scott relative to game situation?

It's all part of it.

Yeah, he probably is second-guessing the call. That's where the hindsight comes into play. No matter what kind of confidence you had going into the play, if it turns out poorly you naturally think of what you could have done different.

All I know is that we had a lot of success running the draw with the pulling guard all game long while Mendenhall was almost tackled in the backfield on a dive play close to out of our own end zone. I really can't fault Arians for choosing that running play if he wants to run it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
What I dont understand is the people on this board that can't bring themselves to fault the play call.......but find it so easy to fault Jonathan Scott for not being able to make a block that 50% of the starting OT's in this league could not make.

If the game is on the line, you put the ball (and responsibility) in your best players hands............not Mewelde Moore.

Coaches jobs are to put players in positions to succeed. If anything Mendenhall should have been in the backfield and even better, Ben should have had the ball to throw a short pass or throw it away.

SteelerSal
12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
What I dont understand is the people on this board that can't bring themselves to fault the play call.......but find it so easy to fault Jonathan Scott for not being able to make a block that 50% of the starting OT's in this league could not make.

If the game is on the line, you put the ball (and responsibility) in your best players hands............not Mewelde Moore.

Coaches jobs are to put players in positions to succeed. If anything Mendenhall should have been in the backfield and even better, Ben should have had the ball to throw a short pass or throw it away.

Good post.:tt03:

BigNastyDefense
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
We were averaging damn near 6 yards a carry and that play had been working all night. The Jets were expecting a pass out of that formation and if Scott doesn't shit the bed and actually makes his block on Jason Taylor that play probably gets us to the ten yard line at the least.

I personally have no problem with the call. Everyone but Scott executed on that play.

And if we pass out of that formation, Scott whiffs on his block and Jason Taylor sacks Big Ben for a safety anyhow.

Chidi29
12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Just wrote up a quick blurb on another board addressing the play. Expanded on what I have already written on the topic here.

The draw was not predictable in resulting in a safety. Consider two things.

1. We were having a ton of success running the draw out of shotgun all game long. Here are all the shotgun draws we ran, aside from the safety.

(No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Moore left guard to PIT 50 for 6 yards (B.Pool, B.Scott).
(No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Moore up the middle to NYJ 48 for 2 yards (C.Pace).
(No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Mendenhall right end to NYJ 25 for 10 yards (D.Revis).
(Shotgun) R.Mendenhall right guard to NYJ 24 for 6 yards (C.Pace).
(Shotgun) R.Mendenhall up the middle to PIT 37 for 6 yards (B.Scott).
(Shotgun) R.Mendenhall right end to PIT 39 for 11 yards (D.Harris).
(No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Moore left end to PIT 41 for 2 yards (D.Coleman).

Final Numbers: 7 carries, 43 yards, 6.1 YPC

Only two of the seven runs netted less than five yards.

2. If you recall, on the last play in the 1st quarter, we ran a dive from our four. Foster let the DT slip through and he almost got to Mendenhall in the backfield. Mendy had to wiggle out of the way. It wouldn't have gone for a safety but only because we had started at the four and not the two like we did on the Moore handoff. That was another contributing factor into why we ran a draw instead of a dive out of the endzone.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 07:03 PM
And if we pass out of that formation, Scott whiffs on his block and Jason Taylor sacks Big Ben for a safety anyhow.

Only if Kemo pulls right while in pass blocking.

I know there is a quote about "being though of as an idiot vs. removing all doubt", but...............never mind.

86WARD
12-20-2010, 08:30 PM
More of a great play by Taylor than an error on the Steelers. If you watch, Taylor's jump and awareness are sickly fast. He blew behind and made a play.

HometownGal
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Coaches jobs are to put players in positions to succeed.

And the job of an OL'man is to BLOCK his man in order for his offensive unit to be put in positions to succeed. ;)

Moose
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Let us all not forget----IF the Special Team makes that damn tackle on the opening kick-off, there's a damn good chance the Jets would have been lucky to even have 10 points !!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
And the job of an OL'man is to BLOCK his man in order for his offensive unit to be put in positions to succeed. ;)

Problem is that the LT cant get to the defender lined up on the LG, who is slanting down while the LG pulls right. Its a tough block for most LT's to make.

I bet if the same play is put in reverse and D'Brickashaw Ferguson had to reach right to block James Harrison as the Jets Matt Slauson pulls right.........Harrison tackles Joe McKnight for a safety.

salamander
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Let us all not forget----IF the Special Team makes that damn tackle on the opening kick-off, there's a damn good chance the Jets would have been lucky to even have 10 points !!

Exactly. That hurt us BIG TIME.

zulater
01-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Sorry to reopen an old wound, but I just got my Steeler Digest for this game, and I thought Bob Labriola, and Jim Wexall had some interesting thoughts on the play call that initiated this thread.

Can't link it, direct quotes form Steelers Digest print edition.

Bob Labriola.

"It's also not smart to call running plays behind pulling offensive linemen at your own 2-yard line, because creating gaps can lead to hard charging defensive linemen getting shots at making plays in the backfield. And when the quarterback is in the shotgun formation and the backfield is in the end zone, that's what you call gift wrapped 2-points."

Jim Wexall.

" On the other hand, the call that led to the safety was an abomination and it cost them the game, or at least a tie game and overtime.

If Jonathan Scott was to have blocked down to fill the void left by a pulling Chris Kemoeatu, that's still no excuse because that certainly was not a given even if Scott had tried."

One further critisism Labriola lobbed at Arians.

"Anyway two mintes and change is still plenty of time for Ben roethlisberger, but it's not to be wasted by running packages of players in and out of the game while the clock is ticking. Is the difference between having five wide receivers on the field, or three receivers, a tight end and a running back, really worth the time it takes to exchange one group for the other? When everybody needs to be going out on the pass pattern anyway? Even five wasted seconds could have turned into one more shot at the end zone gfrom the ten yard line for Roethlsiberger.

NCSteeler
01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Sorry to reopen an old wound, but I just got my Steeler Digest for this game, and I thought Bob Labriola, and Jim Wexall had some interesting thoughts on the play call that initiated this thread.

Can't link it, direct quotes form Steelers Digest print edition.

Bob Labriola.

"It's also not smart to call running plays behind pulling offensive linemen at your own 2-yard line, because creating gaps can lead to hard charging defensive linemen getting shots at making plays in the backfield. And when the quarterback is in the shotgun formation and the backfield is in the end zone, that's what you call gift wrapped 2-points."

Jim Wexall.

" On the other hand, the call that led to the safety was an abomination and it cost them the game, or at least a tie game and overtime.

If Jonathan Scott was to have blocked down to fill the void left by a pulling Chris Kemoeatu, that's still no excuse because that certainly was not a given even if Scott had tried."

One further critisism Labriola lobbed at Arians.

"Anyway two mintes and change is still plenty of time for Ben roethlisberger, but it's not to be wasted by running packages of players in and out of the game while the clock is ticking. Is the difference between having five wide receivers on the field, or three receivers, a tight end and a running back, really worth the time it takes to exchange one group for the other? When everybody needs to be going out on the pass pattern anyway? Even five wasted seconds could have turned into one more shot at the end zone gfrom the ten yard line for Roethlsiberger.

IDK why they don't use a constant base 5 wide package of Hines, Wallace, Sanders. Mendnhall, miller. You could lien Mendy up in back field flex him out and have lots of possibilities without having any subs for a whole series