PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Jets - 12/19/10 Who Gets YOUR Game Goat/Game Ball?

HometownGal
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
My Game Goat goes to the Steelers D. Damn it - they played like their asses were on fire in the 1st half and went back to their 2nd half meltdowns of last season. :doh: We dominated them in the first half on both sides of the ball. Scott also gets a huge kick in the ass for blowing the block on Taylor which led to the safety. Without that safety, we could have kicked a FG and have gone into OT. Damn this loss HURTS. :doh: :horror:

Game Balls go to:

Mendy. The kid rushed his hiney off, had over 100 and a TD.

OL. For 99% of the game, they played their best game of the season. On the safety, a missed block cost us a huge opportunity to win the game. :doh:

Ben and BA. The calls today were great and were executed well for the most part. Ben really played his heart out and especially on that last drive.

I know we're still atop the division by the skin of our asses, but this loss really hurts

The Duke
12-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Mendenhall

jets run D is amazing and he was actually finding holes and making the most of it

Thanks to the oline too. Their best day of the year. Too bad it was in a loss

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Goat goes to refs, who called a Ryan Clark for helmet to shoulder hit, got stupid ass flozell for a retalitory hit on punk Reavis, and refused to call interference calls against the Jets all game. We should have had first and goal at the one. :frusty: cheating fuckers!!!

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Not-so-special teams and Jonathan Scott get the goats. If ST doesn't give up a TD, the Steelers still win the game despite Scott's gaffe...which in turn forced the Steelers to have to score a TD rather than kick a FG to send the game into OT. Tomlin was right to bench his ass for the final drive.

JayC
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
mendenhall gave us a lot of good solid runs. he gets my game ball

goat is special teams on the 1st play of the game, and the ref that missed the hold that slowed sanders down when he would have almost 100% have caught the ball

SteelCityMan786
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
The Complete 100% Game Goat is KICKOFF COVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they don't give up that damn opening kickoff for a TD, the Steelers would be talking about a W right now. END OF STORY!!!! (End Rant)

Gameball is Mendenhall

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:20 PM
My Game Goat goes to the Steelers D. Damn it - they played like their asses were on fire in the 1st half and went back to their 2nd half meltdowns of last season. :doh: We dominated them in the first half on both sides of the ball. Scott also gets a huge kick in the ass for blowing the block on Taylor which led to the safety. Without that safety, we could have kicked a FG and have gone into OT. Damn this loss HURTS. :doh: :horror:

Game Balls go to:

OL. For 99% of the game, they played their best game of the season. On the safety, a missed block cost us a huge opportunity to win the game. :doh:

Ben and BA. The calls today were great and were executed well for the most part. Ben really played his heart out and especially on that last drive.

I know we're still atop the division by the skin of our asses, but this loss really hurts

Actually if we take care of business and win the last two like we should, then it wont matter even a little.

venom
Game ball to Mendy and Ben . Goat to the Steelers D-when they needed a big 3rd down stop, it never came. (also , goat as usual to the refs who missed a big hold late in the Steelers Drive )

HometownGal
refused to call interference calls against the Jets all game. We should have had first and goal at the one. :frusty: cheating fuckers!!!

Yes - we definitely got screwed several times on interference calls that were as obvious as Rex Ryan's big ass. Damned straight. :mad2:

But - I still can't excuse our D. As well as they've played most of the season, they handed the Jets the game in the 2nd half. The Jets didn't win this game - the Steelers D gift wrapped it and gave it to 'em. Merry Fucking Christmas Jets. :upyours:

SCSTILLER
12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
BA for calling a stupid ass guard pulling sweep with our best rb on the bench gets the goat. Game ball to Ben for playing like it was his last game to give our team a chance.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Not-so-special teams and Jonathan Scott get the goats. If ST doesn't give up a TD, the Steelers still win the game despite Scott's gaffe...which in turn forced the Steelers to have to score a TD rather than kick a FG to send the game into OT. Tomlin was right to bench his ass for the final drive.

Give credit to the other team why don't you. Scott played tremendous all game, good anticipation by Taylor. Sometimes the other guy deserves credit.I will not blame anyone on the o-line for the loss today.

tube517
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Game ball - Mendy.

Goat- J. Scott and whoever called that play on the safety (I don't give a shit if it's Arians, ben, or Ryan Mundy's mother. With the OL troubles, it was a bad call.)

BlastFurnace
Goat goes.to the entire team. Another big game at home....another loss.

It's so predictable.

Carolina Steelers
mendenhall gave us a lot of good solid runs. he gets my game ball

goat is special teams on the 1st play of the game, and the ref that missed the hold that slowed sanders down when he would have almost 100% have caught the ball

What he said. Sanders jersey was grabbed he would have caught that pass!!!

Bluecoat96
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Goat goes.to the entire team. Another big game at home....another loss.

It's so predictable.

What's so predictable? Please explain.

Psycho Ward 86
Mendenhall. I was thinking about Ben, but then i realized that he almost lost the ball twice, and cost us way too much time on 2nd and goal when he was trying to squeeze it to Spaeth (the 2nd to last play). We could've had ONE MORE shot at the endzone if Ben didnt hold the ball for so long, but hey, it happens. Mendenhall was the constant for us. They were both great, especially situationally on 3rd downs which is something we've all wanted to see, but Mendenhall didnt shoot us in the foot, or come close to shooting us in the foot.

Gamegoat goes to Kemoeatu for not getting the block that ended in the safety. DAMNIT. We could've tied it up with a field goal :(

Edman
We lost. Once again, no one gets a game ball, but there are plenty of goats.

The biggest goat of course belongs to the Defense. You guys can't go one freaking game Troy-less without blowing your ****. Great first half, fell apart in the second. Just like 2009. Sorry Mundy, you did your best, but you're no Troy. The Offense finally comes to life and you decide to suck. I knew something was wrong the moment the Steelers O scored to go up 17-10 and the Jets came right back to tie it up. The Steelers are never complete. When the Offense sucks, the Defense is All-World. When the Offense is great, the Defense sucks. I get the feeling the Steelers are just better off without an Offense, because every single time the O does it work the D transforms into a seive.

Special Teams for putting us in a hole early.

Instead of clinching and still being in control of our destiny for the second seed, we need to win out now and need some help. Epic fail on part of the Steelers. Better win Thursday or we're really in deep shit.

Devilsdancefloor
mendy ran his ass off today

goat: ST & i hate to say it the refs today we where just short unlike the last few games where we over came the bad calls

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Goat goes to refs, who called a Ryan Clark for helmet to shoulder hit, got stupid ass flozell for a retalitory hit on punk Reavis, and refused to call interference calls against the Jets all game. We should have had first and goal at the one. :frusty: cheating fuckers!!!

I get a little scared when we agree Zu. I am so GD mad right now.

Mendy is playing his heart out, and he gets my game ball. Plus--------- I have bad mouthed this line all year, but I have to give them a pat on the back tonight. They keep playing like this, and I like our chances.

SteelerFanInStl

I agree. Fuck the refs!!!

Psycho Ward 86
Mendenhall. I was thinking about Ben, but then i realized that he almost lost the ball twice, and cost us way too much time on 2nd and goal when he was trying to squeeze it to Spaeth (the 2nd to last play). We could've had ONE MORE shot at the endzone if Ben didnt hold the ball for so long, but hey, it happens. Mendenhall was the constant for us. They were both great, especially situationally on 3rd downs which is something we've all wanted to see, but Mendenhall didnt shoot us in the foot, or come close to shooting us in the foot.

Gamegoat goes to The special teams. 'Nuff said. :(

zulater
What he said. Sanders jersey was grabbed he would have caught that pass!!!

Refs were in the tank today. They along with the coverage untis on special teams cost us the game.

HometownGal
12-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Gamegoat goes to Kemoeatu for not getting the block that ended in the safety. DAMNIT. We could've tied it up with a field goal :(

It was Scott who shit the bed on that one, Psycho. Though Taylor made one helluva play there - the OL had played very well all game and took a dump when we needed them to stand strong the most.

Craic
This is an interesting thread today.

GAME GOAT: Defense. Just let too many drives happen in the second half.

EDIT: How could I forget the Special Teams? Thanks for making me remember PsychoWard :doh: :chuckle:

SINGLE PLAY GOAT: Three of them.
1. Flozell on the 15 yard penalty. I didn't mind at the time, but it really turned the tide.
2. Arians- You just can't run side to side in the endzone. The margin of error for blocking is just too minute when you do that. Run straight ahead or throw the ball.
3. Scott- If your OC DOES call a run side to side in the endzone, YOU HAVE TO BLOCK.
4. Ref- When you are tugging on the jersey- it is holding. Period. Three missed calls, the last one KILLED us.

GAME BALLS: A few

1. Outside of that one play, Arians and Ben. This offense looked like a completely different team. With Heath and Troy (Def) back, this may be a different team heading into the playoffs.
2. Mendy- Nice running on just a few runs.
3. Wallace and Sanders- You guys make our future VERY BRIGHT.

Throwing out a bone- Mundy. Your name was not really called today- that means that while you didn't make any big plays, you also didn't blow coverage.

X-Terminator
Give credit to the other team why don't you. Scott played tremendous all game, good anticipation by Taylor. Sometimes the other guy deserves credit.I will not blame anyone on the o-line for the loss today.

No, I will NOT give credit to the other team on that play. All Scott has to do is chip his man and that safety doesn't happen. Instead, he doesn't lay a finger on him, Taylor gets by and makes the play. If Tomlin felt the way you did, why was Scott on the sideline for the final drive?

steelpride12
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Goat-Refs and Scott and Defense and ST's
Ball-OL and Mendy

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
It was Scott who shit the bed on that one, Psycho. Though Taylor made one helluva play there - the OL had played very well all game and took a dump when we needed them to stand strong the most.

my bad, Scott. Still i switched my game goat to the special teams. The safety was just freshest in my memory at the time.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
No, I will NOT give credit to the other team on that play. All Scott has to do is chip his man and that safety doesn't happen. Instead, he doesn't lay a finger on him, Taylor gets by and makes the play. If Tomlin felt the way you did, why was Scott on the sideline for the final drive?

Then at least give equal blame to Arians. I'm not scapegoating Arians this game, but that was an unfortunate play call, to say the least.

Merchant
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Scott got injured on that play.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Agreed. And, if we don't give up that safety, we only need a FG on the final drive to tie the game and go into OT.

Iron Steeler
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
I notice that in this game that the jets had to pull every trick out of the bag to beat us. The game was more important to them.

If we cross them again in the playoff, with a healthy troy , we will beat them...

The tricks wont work then, and you know we got a couple tricks of our own we havent exposed yet

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Scott got injured on that play.

"Injured..."

Yeah what a bitch. Scott can suck it.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Scott had an excellent game save one play. Please, anyone would have gladly took the game from Scott we got had you called it before the game.

You want a real goat. How 'bout Lamarr Woodley. Guy's up against a back up tackle, a guy who gave up ,3 sacks last week, and never makes a play the whole day. That my friend's is a real goat.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Then at least give equal blame to Arians. I'm not scapegoating Arians this game, but that was an unfortunate play call, to say the least.

You can argue that it may not have been the proper call at the time, but it still would have worked if Scott doesn't whiff on his block. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. I'm not going to give him a pass on that.

Edman
12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Johnny Scott was subpar all season.

No, he doesn't deserve a pass.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Agreed. And, if we don't give up that safety, we only need a FG on the final drive to tie the game and go into OT.

That's a bs assumption. The game's dynamics change if we get the ball back with a 3 point deficit. I'm not saying we don't end up tying it and sending it to OT, but you just can't make that assumption.

JayC
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
^^^ yeah the pass rush sure was a goat today as well. we usually win when our pass rush comes to work and when they get shut down our cornerbacks get left out to dry. we should have had easy pickens with sanchez but we did not. what a let down.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Instead of clinching and still being in control of our destiny for the second seed, we need to win out now and need some help. Epic fail on part of the Steelers. Better win Thursday or we're really in deep shit.

Actually they would not need help if they win out. They get the division and 2nd seed regardless of what anyone else does.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:37 PM
You can argue that it may not have been the proper call at the time, but it still would have worked if Scott doesn't whiff on his block. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. I'm not going to give him a pass on that.

Dude fucked up one play all day. If Scott does that every game from here on out, we'll be in the AFC Championship game.

I'm not going to going to scapegoat Jonathan Scott. There's about 20 some guys that if they would have played as close to their potential as Jon did today we would have won going away.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
That's a bs assumption. The game's dynamics change if we get the ball back with a 3 point deficit. I'm not saying we don't end up tying it and sending it to OT, but you just can't make that assumption.

Not really. We were moving the ball on offense pretty easily all day. A FG is always MUCH easier to get than a TD. Yea, it changes things a bit but they weren't doing much to stop our offense all day.

Steeldude
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
game ball: mendenhall and the O-line. i am happy the jets didn't decide to blitz like crazy.

goat: special teams.

goat: woodley. lazy containment/help and standing around watching ball carriers getting tackled. a very gildon-esque performance. the only pressure i saw was when he went unblocked. for those who think i am talking about sacks making the player, you are incorrect. i don't care about sack totals. it's consistency, containment, coverage, effort/hustle, pressure and tackling is what makes a player. sacks are great and important, but you need more.

lebeau's game plan wasn't very swift. the defense didn't attack much.

i don't have the luxury of reviewing the game so perhaps i am a little harsh.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Dude fucked up one play all day.

Then how is Woodley your gamegoat?

Don't tell me. Your answer is going to be "for having no pass rush all game long." Yeah ok, well Scott let a few safety blitzes come free.

FYI

Edman
12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Johnny Scott royally Effed up on one play, but we already know he's not a good Tackle or even a decent one.

Let's give some hell to Mr.Woodley. I gave the dude props last week for dominating the Bengals, but he did nothing all day against the Jets backup Tackle. At least Mundy got a pressure on Dirty, Wood couldn't do a damn thing.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Not really. We were moving the ball on offense pretty easily all day. A FG is always MUCH easier to get than a TD. Yea, it changes things a bit but they weren't doing much to stop our offense all day.

Well it didn't happen. So we lost, but anyone who blames this loss on Jon Scott is full of shit imo. If Scott plays like that from here on out, we're in for a nice run.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Dude fucked up one play all day. If Scott does that every game from here on out, we'll be in the AFC Championship game.

I'm not going to going to scapegoat Jonathan Scott. There's about 20 some guys that if they would have played as close to their potential as Jon did today we would have won going away.

That's fine. We'll just agree to disagree and move on.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Then how is Woodley your gamegoat?

Don't tell me. Your answer is going to be "for having no pass rush all game long." Yeah ok, well Scott let a few safety blitzes come free.

FYI

Do you really go into games expecting great things from Jonathan Scott?

Geez almighty, as I've said before if we get that quality of play from Scott every game, we'll be fine.

HometownGal
12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Well it didn't happen. So we lost, but anyone who blames this loss on Jon Scott is full of shit imo. If Scott plays like that from here on out, we're in for a nice run.

Zu - I don't think anyone is directly blaming the loss on Scott. The D let down in the 2nd half and there was very little pressure on Sanchump the entire game. That being said, however - in most opinions, Taylor was Scott's man on that play and he didn't "get 'r done" and that safety cost us a probably sure 3 points to tie it up. Scott most definitely wasn't the sole reason for us losing the game but he gets a kick in the rumbohbah for whiffing on such an important play.

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Actually I was pretty pleased with the offense. If the Jet had not been playing with 14 men on on the field this might have been a blowout for the Steelers.

zulater
That's fine. We'll just agree to disagree and move on.

So what exactly do you expect from Scott?

Jeez, the guy is a stop gap player, sorry but I'm not laying the blame on him.

Polamalu's out and you ( or at least i did) expect Woodley to step up against a back up OT, or at least i did.

kmsteelerwr15
If I had to give out game balls they would be to Ben and Mendy.

My goat has to go to the refs. How you don't call those PI calls is just pure bull shit and the ST for the opening kick-off.

X-Terminator
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
So what exactly do you expect from Scott?

Jeez, the guy is a stop gap player, sorry but I'm not laying the blame on him.

Polamalu's out and you ( or at least i did) expect Woodley to step up against a back up OT, or at least i did.

I said let's agree to disagree and move on. I'm not going to change my mind, so it's pointless to argue about it.

steeldawg
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
It was the opening kickoff that killed us. without the kickoff return we go into halftime with a 17-3 lead and getting the ball first. This would of made the jets put the game more on sanchez's shoulders and in favor of our D. Also their punter did a great job of pinning us deep in our on territory. I thought we played well besides 2 breakdowns, difference jets had no breakdowns.

P.S. Ben was fantastic, i lost count of all the 3rd down conversions.

fansince'76
12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Do you really go into games expecting great things from Jonathan Scott?

Geez almighty, as I've said before if we get that quality of play from Scott every game, we'll be fine.

I agree - the offense at least showed more life today and overall the OL played well.

Count Steeler
12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
The defense just did not show up with the kind of intensity and drive you would expect when one of the star players is out with an injury. We looked too porous in the second half and we could not step up and make consistent plays against a sub par quarterback. The Jets did not win, we lost this game.

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Zu - I don't think anyone is directly blaming the loss on Scott. The D let down in the 2nd half and there was very little pressure on Sanchump the entire game. That being said, however - in most opinions, Taylor was Scott's man on that play and he didn't "get 'r done" and that safety cost us a probably sure 3 points to tie it up. Scott most definitely wasn't the sole reason for us losing the game but he gets a kick in the rumbohbah for whiffing on such an important play.

I understand he had one awful play. But as i pencil in an allowance of Scott sucking on at least 8 to 10 plays a game, and he didn't come near his quoto I'm absolving him for that play.

Lamarr Woodley was 10 times the goat that Scott was today./

zulater
12-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I said let's agree to disagree and move on. I'm not going to change my mind, so it's pointless to argue about it.

If you're satisfied "scape" goating a guy who played to the best of his ability, I suppose we will.

HometownGal
My goat has to go to the refs. How you don't call those PI calls is just pure bull shit and the ST for the opening kick-off.

Though the refs must have left their seeing eye dogs at home today, I won't blame this loss on them. This game was OURS, but unfortunately, the Steelers D gift wrapped this game and gave the Jets an early Christmas gift. Very little pressure on Sanchump and when they needed to stop LT very late in the game when the clock was tick tocking away, they failed. While I agree we were robbed several times by them turning a blind eye to a couple of pass interference and holding calls, I won't lower myself to a Seasquawks fan and point the finger at the refs.

Burghfan58

What the hell did you expect from Pete Morelli. I got worried as soon as the game began and I saw that dope on the field.

HometownGal
12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
The guys on CBS Sports Update need to get their shit together. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are NOT tied for first place in the division. We are officially 1st even with the loss, as we hold the division tiebreaker - wins within the division. Dumb asses. :doh:

fansince'76
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Though the refs must have left their seeing eye dogs at home today, I won't blame this loss on them. This game was OURS, but unfortunately, the Steelers D gift wrapped this game and gave the Jets an early Christmas gift. Very little pressure on Sanchump and when they needed to stop LT very late in the game when the clock was tick tocking away, they failed. While I agree we were robbed several times by them turning a blind eye to a couple of pass interference and holding calls, I won't lower myself to a Seasquawks fan and point the finger at the refs.

Exactly. The refs suck every week for everybody.

Count Steeler
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Goat to Woodley this game. Why is it when we have a supposed overmatch in our favor, we never take advantage of it? Woodley was starting opposite an O tackle that was playing his first game. Woodley did not have any moves to cause at least 1 sack and consistent pressure?

Mendy gets my game ball.

JayC
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
if we are going to run the ball there line up in power i and ram in down their throats with our 100 yard rusher. i am never a fan of when we use moore in place of mendy when mendy is still fresh, so especially not in that situation. nonetheless, it's all water under the bridge now and hopefully the steelers get back in the W column thursday

Slanted August
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Scott had an excellent game save one play. Please, anyone would have gladly took the game from Scott we got had you called it before the game.

You want a real goat. How 'bout Lamarr Woodley. Guy's up against a back up tackle, a guy who gave up ,3 sacks last week, and never makes a play the whole day. That my friend's is a real goat.

He rushed a lot too. I wonder if he awas injured because I was also shocked he was not more disruptive.

Wallace108
12-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Game Balls go to:

You and I have disagreed quite a bit lately, but I agree 100 percent with everything you said (yes, even with Arians. :heh:). O-line played well MOST of the game, and I like the calls. Our pass defense is frustrating as hell. It shares the game goat with the refs for failing to call two interference calls (against Sanders and Wallace), the call on Clark's hit (which in all honesty I need to see again), and picking up three flags early in the game. If there's no penalty, then don't throw a friggin' flag. Once is understandable, but three times? :doh2: I think the refs should be fined for stupidity.

zulater
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
He rushed a lot too. I wonder if he awas injured because I was also shocked he was not more disruptive.

More disruptive!?????

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Seriously, you need to go back and re-read my post. I didn't blame the WHOLE game on Scott. In fact, I just agreed with what X-Terminator had to say. You can't possibly deny that that play changed the whole game.

I also blame the ST on giving up the TD and I blame the D for not being able to make a stop in the second half when we needed it.

VTsteel
12-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Game ball's to Ben and Mendenhall.

Goat: J. Scott

Mendy had a real good effort and played with heart and Ben almost got us that win. Both played real well.

While I did like the way the o-line performed for 95% of the game . . . Jonathan Scott CAN NOT miss that block. He is 100% the goat today. Infact, at the time, I screamed "Cut His ass Monday". Dude just can't fuck that up that badly. We need to draft a Left Tackle in the 1st round in April and move Starks back to RT . . .

st33lersguy
12-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Goats: Spaeth, Mundy, Special needs teams, Refs/ Nazi Football League headquarters letting the Jets get away with atleast 5 PIs

Godfather
12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Game ball: Mundy. The Jets scored one offensive TD--that means he did a respectable job of filling in for Troy.

Game goat: The zebras. At least four blatant defensive holds/pass interferences didn't get called, and they couldn't even get down and distance right on a couple of occasions. Then there was that horrible bad call on Clark for 'helmet to helmet' where "helmet" means "shoulder" and the second "helmet" means "chest".

zulater
12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
The Jets took the final lead on Nick Folk's 34-yard field goal with 10:07 left. The Steelers seemingly had the Jets stopped when, on third down at the New York 46, Polamalu replacement Ryan Mundy missed a clear shot on a sack of quarterback Mark Sanchez, who then completed a 16-yard pass to Braylon Edwards to keep the scoring drive going.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353/1112066-100.stm#ixzz18cB81xUa

Mundy looks as much a goat as Scott to me, if we're to base it on one play.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Lol Woodley as a gamegoat? Ridiculous. People automatically assuming he didnt get any pressure at all because he missed a sack on the 1st play? Special teams was far more significant to losing, so was Spaeth dropping a couple, including the last play of the game which WAS catchable and he could've stayed inbounds. Ugh, way to use that 6'7'' frame.

Hell, if you think Woodley's worthy of wearing the badge of shame, throw Harrison in there. He got COMPLETELY sucked in on that 4th down that resulted in Sanchez jogging for a touchdown. That was HIS responsibility.

zulater
12-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Lol Woodley as a gamegoat? Ridiculous. People automatically assuming he didnt get any pressure at all because he missed a sack on the 1st play? Special teams was far more significant to losing, so was Spaeth dropping a couple, including the last play of the game which WAS catchable and he could've stayed inbounds. Ugh, way to use that 6'7'' frame.

Hell, if you think Woodley's worthy of wearing the badge of shame, throw Harrison in there. He got COMPLETELY sucked in on that 4th down that resulted in Sanchez jogging for a touchdown. That was HIS responsibility.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301219023

Really? Woodley was matched up against a back up OT who gave up 3 sacks last week, and barely found his way on the stat sheet.

Granted, Harrison not staying at home on that naked boot was costly, but at least James showed up to play for the game otherwise.

zulater
12-19-2010, 09:12 PM
You want to know what lost us this game? Desire. The Jets wanted it more, and played with more purpose and urgency throughout. They gambled, they made play calls that went against conventional wisdom and it payed off nearly every time.

We still nearly won despite ourselves.

Overall we were the better team, but no one on either side of the ball could step up and make a play when it mattered in any phase of the game.

Oh yeah, and our special teams really sucked today. If we get a neutral game from special teams, we win the game anyway.

BlastFurnace
12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301219023

Really? Woodley was matched up against a back up OT who gave up 3 sacks last week, and barely found his way on the stat sheet.

Granted, Harrison not staying at home on that naked boot was costly, but at least James showed up to play for the game otherwise.
t
Woodley is not the player he was in 2008 any longer. He had a nice play last week, but they are few and far between.

zulater
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I thought Flozell played a pretty strong game today. Too bad he marginilzed it though by taking that stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I thought it was a weak call by the ref, seeing as how Reavis instigated the whole thing. A decent ref calls offsetting penalties, a moron does what they did in this game.

steelreserve
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Goat #1: Special teams. Coverage was horrible all game, we had some piss-poor punts, and I saw a couple of kickoffs fielded around the 20 like Reed used to do. Probably the deciding factor in the game,as others have said.

Goat #2: Jonathan Scott. I want to go dig up that "Why is Scott still stating?" thread from a couple weeks ago, but I'm too lazy. Put in Essex for the rest of the year. I don't care how bad you think he is; Scott is worse.

Goat #3: Spaeth, for dropping about 50 passes including two that could have won the game. I'm not 100% sure that both of the last two were catchable, but I'm angry and I've been drinking, so he is not getting the benefit of the doubt.

Goat #4: It did not help getting two personal fouls that were not personal fouls. Thanks again to the douche crew for that.

Steeldude
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM

i wasn't shocked at all. woodley is invisible way too often. especially for someone in their contract year.

Steeldude
12-19-2010, 10:38 PM

i didn't see any pressure. i saw poor containment and standing around watching other players tackle. the guy is too inconsistent. with all of the attention harrison gets you would think woodley would do something. it's like watching foote play OLB.

do you really want to compare harrison to woodley? harrison is probably the most super-charged player on the defense week in and week out. i see him all over the field making plays. when will woodley being doing the same?

Delraich
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Game balls 1 Spindenhall and 2 the Oline (this was looking like Arians first game ball from me right up until the safety, other than that I thought he called a good game)

Game goats 1 Special teams 2 Arians....that one call went a long way in loosing this game

Help me understand how so many people give the D a goat? It wasn't there best game but I can't figure out how our D without its superstar only giving up 13 points is a goat.

BlastFurnace
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Help me understand how so many people give the D a goat? It wasn't there best game but I can't figure out how our D without its superstar only giving up 13 points is a goat.

Because in big games, this team can go up 7, and the Jets went right down the field and tie the game.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not 100% sure that both of the last two were catchable, but I'm angry and I've been drinking, so he is not getting the benefit of the doubt.

The last pass of the game hit Spaeth right in the hands and he was well inbounds and could've made the catch.

i didn't see any pressure. i saw poor containment and standing around watching other players tackle. the guy is too inconsistent. with all of the attention harrison gets you would think woodley would do something. it's like watching foote play OLB.

do you really want to compare harrison to woodley? harrison is probably the most super-charged player on the defense week in and week out. i see him all over the field making plays. when will woodley being doing the same?

100% agree, i was just emphasizing that there were a bevy of problems that were far more instrumental in us losing than Woodley.

Delraich
12-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Because in big games, this team can go up 7, and the Jets went right down the field and tie the game.

Maybe just maybe we should score more than 17 points and not give away a safety or a return TD. That was the only TD the D gave up the whole game so to make them a goat in my mind is crazy.

Steeldude
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
The last pass of the game hit Spaeth right in the hands and he was well inbounds and could've made the catch.

100% agree, i was just emphasizing that there were a bevy of problems that were far more instrumental in us losing than Woodley.

spaeth is horrible. i keep trying to excuse him, but it's getting like sweed.

IMO, lebeau needs to call an aggressive defense regardless if polamalu is playing or not.

i agree with you on there being far more problems than woodley. i don't think woodley is a flop, but i expect more from a person in his contract. i am still hoping they bring worilds in every once in awhile to spot harrison or woodley.

oneforthetoe
12-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Game Balls: Mendy and Ben

Goat: Special teams.

The D didn't have their best game, but they still only gave up 13 points without two of their best players. The offense looked better and the line played one of its best games. And I don't think it is fair put it on Spaeth, Scott or Mundy. They are all back-ups who played ok in this game. Yea Sparth dropped a few passes but he also had some pretty good blitz pickups. Scott played pretty well save for the safety. And Mundy was not that bad. Certainly better than Carter.

solardave
12-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Zu,

I agree with everything you said but the D didn't play well enough to win, it's obvious to me our D will have to play lights out because flags against opponents will be picked up and there will be bad calls against us. It's like the refs want to handicap the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Maybe just maybe we should score more than 17 points and not give away a safety or a return TD. That was the only TD the D gave up the whole game so to make them a goat in my mind is crazy.

It's a long time coming. How many times have we seen the defense do this. We go up in a game, and the defense let's the opposing team to march right down the field to tie the score.

HometownGal
12-20-2010, 06:56 AM
It's a long time coming. How many times have we seen the defense do this. We go up in a game, and the defense let's the opposing team to march right down the field to tie the score.

We saw it quite a bit last season, unfortunately, and it cost us at least 6 games. :doh: Lebeau backs off sending in the wolves on the QB in the 2nd half almost every week and I just don't get it. :noidea:

SteelerSal
12-20-2010, 07:26 AM
We saw it quite a bit last season, unfortunately, and it cost us at least 6 games. :doh: Lebeau backs off sending in the wolves on the QB in the 2nd half almost every week and I just don't get it. :noidea:

Seems to me Lebeau's football goals are complete with his H.O.F induction, Superbowl rings and over 50 years NFL services......seems to be just coasting and going through the motions nowadays. IMO

zulater
12-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Sorry, I cannot lay this on the defense. They gave up 13 points and 276 yards, that's supposed to win you games. The Jets scored 9 points in non traditional fashion. Do the math, it's not the defense's fault. Of course i would have liked to have seen them do better. But the bottom line is it's unnaceptable to give away 9 points like we did. and if you do your offense has got to put up more points than 17.

ALLD
12-20-2010, 08:06 AM
1. STs- No KO return for a TD and we win.
2. STs- Punt coverage does not even chip the gunner downfield and allowed the Jets to pin us.
3. J Scott missed a huge opportunity and cost us 2 points.
4. Matt Spaeth- Caught one TD and dropped three others. It was his opportunity to step it up. Bench his dumbass.
*Ward disappeared in the 2nd half.

Now just think of how good Ben and Mendy could be if they had a good OL.

BuddhaBus
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Game ball: Mendy. Great performance against a stout defense.

Game goats: Special teams, J. Scott (it may be time for Essex to take over the LT spot), Spaeth (gotta catch that TD pass at the end!)

Observations:
1. Woodley was non-existent. I thought he was starting to make his late season push, but he disappeared in this one. Hopefully just an off-game.
2. Mundy played well. Definite upgrade from Carter.
3. Arians, overall, called a really good game, but the call on the safety was questionable. I also would like to see a little less 1st down shotgun formation. All in all, I was pleased with the playcalling.
4. Refs suck ass... AGAIN!
5. The penalty on Clark, IMO, was just incorrectly called. It wasn't helmet-to-helmet, but was certainly launching, which is a penalty. We can't really complain about that one too much.
6. Personal foul on Flozell was deserved and exceedingly stupid. You've gotta keep your head in the game.
7. Oddly enough, for a loss, I didn't come away from this feeling TOO badly. We could've/should've won it and I'd love another crack at them in the playoffs. If we get that shot, I feel pretty good about our chances.

Bottom line, we need to put this behind us quickly and understand that we still control our own destiny. Take care of business in the last 2 winnable games, and all of this is a moot point. We neither gain nor lose anything except one more W in the final record that means nothing. I just want to get to the dance and let the chips fall where they may.

X-Terminator
12-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Sorry, I cannot lay this on the defense. They gave up 13 points and 276 yards, that's supposed to win you games. The Jets scored 9 points in non traditional fashion. Do the math, it's not the defense's fault. Of course i would have liked to have seen them do better. But the bottom line is it's unnaceptable to give away 9 points like we did. and if you do your offense has got to put up more points than 17.

Be that as it may, they still played way too passive and allowed way too many 3rd down conversions when they absolutely needed stops in the 2nd half after playing pretty well in the first half. They also allowed the Jets to march right down the field to tie the game right after the offense had given them the lead on their opening possession. That was a momentum-killer. As I said before, I expected going in that the D wasn't going to be at their very best, and all things considered, they weren't. They simply did not make enough plays to win the game.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Be that as it may, they still played way too passive and allowed way too many 3rd down conversions when they absolutely needed stops in the 2nd half after playing pretty well in the first half. They also allowed the Jets to march right down the field to tie the game right after the offense had given them the lead on their opening possession. That was a momentum-killer. As I said before, I expected going in that the D wasn't going to be at their very best, and all things considered, they weren't. They simply did not make enough plays to win the game.

Agreed. Zero sacks and very little pressure all day. Two plays where they were completely faked out. This is where we missed Troy. He's been the player making that big play when it was needed.

zulater
12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Got a question, on the punt that pinned us down before the safety, what was Randle El doing on that play? If someone can check the tivo, you'll see why I'm asking. It just seems he may have been in position to make a play on the ball, to stop them from having the chance to pin us deep.

VTsteel
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Got a question, on the punt that pinned us down before the safety, what was Randle El doing on that play? If someone can check the tivo, you'll see why I'm asking. It just seems he may have been in position to make a play on the ball, to stop them from having the chance to pin us deep.

I didn't check the DVR - But, if my memory serves me (which 1/2 the time it doesn't) Randle-El wasn't in . . . Brown was. I think he was in the middle of the field and just couldn't get to the ball . . .

zulater
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't check the DVR - But, if my memory serves me (which 1/2 the time it doesn't) Randle-El wasn't in . . . Brown was. I think he was in the middle of the field and just couldn't get to the ball . . .

Thjere was one punt where they were both in, I think that was the play.

steelerdude15
12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Game goat goes to Spaeth. Game ball does to Mendy for playing well yesterday.

O'Malley
12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Why is McFadden still on the field every week?

Mendy gets the game ball for sure.

86WARD
12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Goat goes to the offense for giving up a safety.

Game ball goes to Emmanuel Sanders. His play was critical in keeping the Steelers drives alive and the team in the game.

stlrtruck
12-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Game ball - Mendy
Game goat - Spaeth (as much as I defended him last week, he had too many dropped passes this week. Maybe he catches better as the 2nd TE, not the first)

Galax Steeler
12-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Mendy gets my game ball

The refs get the goat what a bad game they called.

O'Malley
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Mendy gets my game ball

The refs get the goat what a bad game they called.

It was like they took a break when we had the ball. How they didn't see Wallace being held I'll never know.

Moose
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Pretty easy in my book.....Game BALL to Mendy. Game GOAT to Special Teams. ( kick off return was pathetic)