PDA

View Full Version : Troy

Burghfan58
12-18-2010, 03:28 PM
How many years can Steeler fans realisticly expect to see Troy play at his current level. Troy is 29 now. I figure the way he throws his body around he may have maybe 4 years left. This will be the third season in a row he has missed games. Any thoughts?

Steeltreal
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
If the rest of defense can play without Troy, they are all that more dangerous when hes on the field.

Moose
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
With no serious knee injury in the near future, I would think he could be out there harrassing the opponents players for another 7 yrs at least. He plays hard when he's out there, he won't play any other way, and he keeps himself in great shape, so if he can't give 100% and ends up being benched for another safety that would be the downfall for Troy. I don't see Troy being satisfied sitting on the pine watching the game. But Troy's 70 % is usually better than other safety's 100%, so when would be the time for him to step aside, and who in the heck would want to make that call !!??

tube517
12-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I appreciate Troy for his athleticism, effort, and humility. Of course, it would be nice to have him healthy but the plays that he makes are sometimes super human. I'm surprised he's not injured more. Nobody can make the plays that he does. I'm grateful we have him on our team and nobody else's.

Steeltreal
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Would anyone trade Troy for a young Shutdown #1 Cornerback after he hits 30+?

stlrtruck
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Given his recent history of injuries, I see Troy playing for the Steelers another 5-7 years, possibly moving more to a position equivalent to what Ed Reed plays - way back safety and INT man. Then on to coaching for the Steelers.

smokin3000gt
12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Without a serious injury I see Troy sticking around for quite a bit longer. You figure he gives 150% right now.. so even if he is only able to give 100% down the road he is still kicking ass and taking names.

zulater
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Would anyone trade Troy for a young Shutdown #1 Cornerback after he hits 30+?

Look at it from the other side, why the hell would anyone trade a "young shutdown cornerback" for any older player? Particuarly one that's proven to be somewhat fragile.

So why hypothesize about something that has zero chance of happening?

Personally I'd be happy if Troy plays another 4 years at a high level. And hopefully when he retires it will be as a career Steeler.

Psycho Ward 86
12-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey, at least he's not Bob Sanders

43Hitman
12-18-2010, 07:40 PM

This

GoSlash27
12-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I won't guess how many years Troy has left, but clean living and his maniacal focus on diet & exercise can keep him young for longer than you might expect.
He's arguably the best safety this team has ever had, and that's sayin' something when you consider the competition for that honor, including Glen Edwards, Mike Wagner, Donnie Shell, and Carnell Lake.

GBMelBlount
12-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Troy is 29 now. I figure the way he throws his body around he may have maybe 4 years left.

Agreed. I woud be very satisfied if we got 3 or 4 more years out of Troy. It's the physics imo. He is small yet plays with such intensity and reckless abandon and with no regard for protecting himself.

Troy is amazing.

CanadianSteel
12-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Troy da Man - enjoy his timer with Steelers while we can.
How many years left - as many as he wants to play !

The Duke
12-19-2010, 04:00 AM
I savor every troy moment we get because I know he wont play forever with the way he plays. If he can play at his troy level for two more years I'd be happy, and probably two more years as a more usual safety when his speed and burst will begin to fail into his thirties

And no, I wouldn't trade him for anything. Neither would the rooneys imo. They got too much class to trade someone with so much class

lol, true

HometownGal
12-19-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm with the consensus here - if Troy can play another 4-5 years, I'd be very happy with that. He takes excellent care of himself and is religious about his healthy eating and fitness regimen even with all of the injuries he's had to deal with. If he wasn't so physically and mentally fit, I'd only give him a couple more years but this isn't the average schmo we're talkin' about here. This is Troy! :tt02: