PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Mundy is student of Polamalu

stillers4me
12-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Ryan Mundy has taken a fan's approach to learning from Troy Polamalu.
Mundy, who will likely replace Polamalu if Polamalu cannot play Sunday, said he watches Polamalu's plays, then questions him about them afterward.

"You see what he does and then ask him, 'Troy why'd you do this,' or 'Troy why'd you do that,' " Mundy said.

Polamalu has not practiced Wednesday and Thursday in the past few weeks since injuring his ankle, so Mundy worked with the first-team defense. Polamalu did not practice Wednesday, Thursday or Friday this week. The most important thing he gained from this extra practice time, Mundy said, was smoother communication with the rest of the back seven.....................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10352/1111761-66.stm

ALLD
12-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Don't make it out like it's the Plato of the defense receiving lessons from Socrates...maybe the Socrates part.

Edman
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Mundy can "learn" from Troy all he wants. Troy has more than smarts, he has the skillset to be one of the most dominant Safeties in the game. Troy has "it" and a bag of chips. Some players got it, others don't. It's a safe bet to say Mundy doesn't.

Just don't suck on Sunday Ryan and we're good.

Shawn
12-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm excited to see what Mundy can do. I know he's no Polamalu, but it sounds like he has the right attitude. He's certainly learning from the best.

steelreserve
12-18-2010, 10:45 AM
As long as he does better than Carter, we should have a chance.

st33lersguy
12-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Mundy instead of Troy??? Should be a great oppurtunity for Sanchez to bounce back

Moose
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm glad that R.Mundy is trying to learn as much as possible from the best, that being Troy. But, what Troy has you can't teach. Troy can teach the basics, what to look for, what to read, etc.etc.. But it's the 'instinct' that makes him play so great. He has his 'hunches' that the QB is going to throw to this guy or that guy and follows thru....sometimes miss judging, but more than not he's on the page. He knows how to read the 'eyes' ( of QB and WR ), the movements, the routes. I'm sure he studies films from team plays this year and years past. He's the best at what he does and I'm so glad he's on our side !! Good luck Mundy...and stick with Troy like glue...ask away on the questions and maybe run a few routes in practice with him and see if you can pick up what he's going to do.

Count Steeler
12-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Will Allen be playing safety at all?

Burghfan58
12-18-2010, 03:45 PM
From what I've read Clark will be taking Troys spot at strong safety and Mundey will be filling Clarks at free safety.

Steeltreal
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Its really time for Clark to step up. I believe he could have signed with Miami for more money and declined. Hes been the Hard Hitting presence over the middle, the problem is he needs to become a ball hawk.

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM

I see what you did there...

Psycho Ward 86
12-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Yeah, at least he has starting experience.

Merchant
12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
As long as he does better than Carter, we should have a chance.

Omg.. Carter..

*shudders*

Galax Steeler
12-19-2010, 07:07 AM
I just hope he plays well enough not to give up the big play.