PDA

View Full Version : Achilles injury could sideline Polamalu for rest of regular season

stillers4me
12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 18, 2010

Strong safety Troy Polamalu could miss the remainder of the regular season after aggravating his strained right Achilles tendon, sources told the Tribune-Review on Friday.

Polamalu, however, could return for the playoffs.

According to a Steelers source, the length of Polamalu's absence depends on the team's playoff positioning. The Steelers (10-3) hold a one-game lead over Baltimore in the AFC North.

The Steelers face the New York Jets (9-4) on Sunday, then close the regular season against Carolina (1-12) and Cleveland (5-8). They have only three days off before facing Carolina, possibly not enough time for Polamalu's injury to sufficiently heal.
The Cleveland game Jan. 2 might be meaningless for playoff positioning, and the Steelers could opt to sit not only Polamalu but also other starters.

Polamalu is doubtful for Sunday's game against the Jets.........................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714371.html

zulater
12-18-2010, 07:06 AM
This was my biggest fear when it was reported he'd miss this upcoming game this Sunday.

GoSlash27
12-18-2010, 07:57 AM
I say sit him down for the remainder of the regular season. These are not must-win games for us.
I'd also like to elevate D.C. Shoes from the practice squad. That guy was electric in the pre-season.

steelpride12
12-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Well that is a tough decision for sure. He has single handed won us our last two games and losing him could cost us a game or two if the offense doesn't get it together, but at the same time letting Troy rest would be the key for the playoffs, but cost us a first round bye if we screw up the rest of our games.

st33lersguy
12-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Polamalu injury could force us to watch Ryan Mundy get embarrassed for the rest of the regular season

steeldevil
12-18-2010, 12:36 PM
If it will help him be closer to 100% come playoff time, then sit him the last 3 games and we will still be fine. The 3 offenses we play in the last 3 games are not very good.

The Duke
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I say sit him down for the remainder of the regular season. These are not must-win games for us.
I'd also like to elevate D.C. Shoes from the practice squad. That guy was electric in the pre-season.

Damon cromartie? hmm, sounds good. The guy was raw, but he seemed like a player. Playing a raw talent like him some against the panthers could be a good idea

They apparently trust Mundy at FS though. I've liked the kid, and he is in his 4th year, time for him to show something.

just hope clark doesn't try to do too much at SS

oneforthetoe
12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I guess you could look at it this: do you want to take the risk of losing a couple of our final three games, possibly causing us to have to play the first week, then travel in the playoffs, but do it with a relatively healthy Troy; or do you want to go all out for the bye and possibly be without Troy for the playoffs?

Oversimplification for sure, but I think I trust the Steelers on the road more with a healthy Troy than I do at home without him. I think our history backs that up.

Devilsdancefloor
12-18-2010, 03:22 PM

problem is who ya gonna cut to make room for him? id sit him and i hope we go 2-1 the rest of our games. That would give him a month off before he plays again. Id rather he be as close to 100% as he can be plus the playoffs A smith is back!

Steeltreal
12-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Small price to pay to be a complete defensive team in the playoffs.

BigNastyDefense
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I say unless Troy says to play him Sunday, then sit him the rest of the season. We don't need him against the Panthers and we might be sitting many starters against the Browns. If sitting him means we get him back somewhere between 90-100% for the playoffs, I am fine with it.

stlrtruck
12-18-2010, 04:17 PM
The bottom line to Troy missing the next three games is that the defense will have to step it up 1,000% in order to compensate for his departure. However, I feel confident that the team can handle the next three games and in bare minimum go 2-1. That should secure the BYE week, allowing Troy one more week to heal.

steelreserve
12-18-2010, 04:21 PM
problem is who ya gonna cut to make room for him? id sit him and i hope we go 2-1 the rest of our games. That would give him a month off before he plays again. Id rather he be as close to 100% as he can be plus the playoffs A smith is back!

Battle, duh. That guy's the definition of expendable.

steelreserve
12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Also, reading between the lines, it sounds like the meaning of the article is not that this is an injury that's going to keep him out for a month. More like he could play in a week or two, but we won't risk it if we're in good shape for a bye. I think that's what they meant by "depends on the team's playoff positioning."