PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu not likely to play vs. Jets

zulater
12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm

Troy Polamalu, who has made game-changing defensive plays in each of the past three games, is not expected to play Sunday against the New York Jets after aggravating his lower-leg injury on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu has not practiced the past two days, which has been the routine for the five-time Pro Bowl safety since he was injured last month. But he has always practiced Friday and played Sunday -- until now.

The Steelers do not have to list Polamalu's official injury status for the game until today after practice. He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Mundy or Will Allen.

:nervous:

zulater
12-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Shit!!! :frusty:

I guess on the positive side, this game wont really matter if we win the last two afterwards. Not conceding anything, just pointing out that if we win any one other game combined with a win over the Browns, the worst we can be is the AFC #2 seed, because we'd have the divsion tiebreaker over the Ravens due to their prior loss to Cincy.

Of course my big worry with Troy is that his so called little injuries seem to turn into season enders all too frequently. God I hope that's not the case this time.

steelerdude15
12-16-2010, 11:38 PM
O boy, this just made everything tough.

BuddhaBus
12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
This + Miller= :horror:

Steeldude
12-17-2010, 02:25 AM
it depends on lebeau. is he going to play his pansy defense because polamalu is out or will the defense attack?

it's going to be a tough game. the offense can't score so the defense must do it for them.

Galax Steeler
12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
This is not good news it brings back flash backs form last year when we didn't have him.

venom
12-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Serenity Now !!

stlrtruck
12-17-2010, 06:05 AM
it depends on lebeau. is he going to play his pansy defense because polamalu is out or will the defense attack?

it's going to be a tough game. the offense can't score so the defense must do it for them.

I think because Troy is out, LeBeau needs to dial up the pressure more. By putting the front 7 on alert that they'll be on the attack and they'll have free reign, their pressure on Sanchez could take a lot of pressure off the DBs - especially without Troy.

steeldawg
12-17-2010, 06:23 AM
NOOOO!!!!!!

Burghfan58
12-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Ben and the rest of the offense ( minus Heath apparently) better step it up and put some damn points on the board because Troy pretty much kept the Steelers alive the last few weeks.

smokin3000gt
12-17-2010, 07:07 AM
damn it.. I was hoping I was reading the title wrong or it was some how an old thread =T

Bluecoat96
12-17-2010, 07:22 AM
I'd rather him rest now, so he's healthy for the playoffs. Heck....let him rest against Carolina too. If we can't beat them without Troy, we have some real issues. At least it's nice that we're in a position where we don't have to win out to make the playoffs.

86WARD
12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
That'll leave a mark...

BlastFurnace
12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
With the way he's been limping around, I'm surprised this didn't occur earlier. Hopefully, Allen and Mundy can cover for one game.

If the Steeler win on Sunday, they should let Troy sit the rest of the regular season.

The defenses success will solely depend on the kind of pressure they put on Sanchez.

BigPoppaG
12-17-2010, 07:53 AM
They keep talking about how this team steps up when someone is hurt............let us see it happen on Sunday. Even though Troy has some hard shoes to fill, this is the opportunity for others to make a name for them selves.

BlastFurnace
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
damn it.. I was hoping I was reading the title wrong or it was some how an old thread =T

Unfortunately, we can just renew this thread every year with Smith and Troy. They're not spring chickens any more.

Burghfan58
12-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I was wondering why Troy was still in the game late in the 4th quarter against Cincy. It was obvious he was gimpin around. The game was pretty much in hand at that point.

SteelGhost
12-17-2010, 09:10 AM
With the way he's been limping around, I'm surprised this didn't occur earlier. Hopefully, Allen and Mundy can cover for one game.

If the Steeler win on Sunday, they should let Troy sit the rest of the regular season.

The defenses success will solely depend on the kind of pressure they put on Sanchez.

I agree 100% BF :thumbsup: I wouldn't risk him against the Panthers and the Stains, we'll need him in the playoffs.

Edman
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
We'll have to fight this one without Troy and hope Mr. Allen doesn't suck too much this week.

SteelerEmpire
12-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I was wondering why Troy was still in the game late in the 4th quarter against Cincy. It was obvious he was gimpin around. The game was pretty much in hand at that point.

Correct. But he was still able to play so it didn't seem that severe. With it being several days later I wonder what made it get worse ? I would hope he plays this game and maybe sit out the next one as the Jets will be playing hard trying to fight for their playoff survival.
But knowing how this team performed basically a "sweet heart" deal when trading a highly productive SB MVP WR to the Jets, a team we play often, for a 5th round draft pick... it would not surprise me if they took Troy out to "increase the Jets chances" of winning... And yes, we are "still" fighting for a bye week in the playoffs with the Ravens...

Animal Mother
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edman
12-17-2010, 09:22 AM
But knowing how this team performed basically a "sweet heart" deal when trading a highly productive SB MVP WR to the Jets, a team we play often, for a 5th round draft pick... it would not surprise me if they took Troy out to "increase the Jets chances" of winning... And yes, we are "still" fighting for a bye week in the playoffs with the Ravens...

We've only played the Jets twice over the past five years. That is not "often".

Shawn
12-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Correct. But he was still able to play so it didn't seem that severe. With it being several days later I wonder what made it get worse ? I would hope he plays this game and maybe sit out the next one as the Jets will be playing hard trying to fight for their playoff survival.

What good would it do for the Steelers to intentionally lose to the Jets? I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make.

We got a 5th rounder for Holmes because every team KNEW we wanted to move him, therefore, they don't have to make a great offer. If no one wanted to trade, he would have been cut.

TheRuneMeister
12-17-2010, 10:12 AM
For those who want to spare Troy for the play-offs, I would say squeeze one more game out of him, then hopefully we get the bye and he can sit out 2 weeks straight (3 if you think they can can handle the Panthers without him).

polamalubeast
12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
:no::doh2::doh::doh::frusty::frusty::frusty:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh well, let him heal up and get ready for playoffs. THIS is why I was hoping for a decent young SS to be drafted last year as a backup. Still not really sold that Mundy is much of a S, but hoping Allen plays well in Troy's place.

Bluecoat96
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Well....at least Tyrone Carter isn't the back-up anymore. This should be interesting.

SteelMember
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh well, let him heal up and get ready for playoffs. THIS is why I was hoping for a decent young SS to be drafted last year as a backup. Still not really sold that Mundy is much of a S, but hoping Allen plays well in Troy's place.

We gave Allen a nice little pay packet. He will need to earn it this week. Hopefully, he jumps at the challenge of playing. Any self respecting "football" player would. Being inactive and sitting on the bench, or gunning down the field a few times on special teams isn't what these guys are supposed to aspire to.

I think the bigger deal is going to be how Clark plays. He can tend to (admittedly) try to do too much when Troy's not in there. He will need to keep his nose out of the backfield, and stay behind the receivers. We know what Smokey can do. Even Braylon catches one every now and again. Let's not get beat by the play action that's sure to come because a FS is trying to jump on stopping the run. That's what the front 7 are for.

BuddhaBus
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
We gave Allen a nice little pay packet. He will need to earn it this week. Hopefully, he jumps at the challenge of playing. Any self respecting "football" player would. Being inactive and sitting on the bench, or gunning down the field a few times on special teams isn't what these guys are supposed to aspire to.

I think the bigger deal is going to be how Clark plays. He can tend to (admittedly) try to do too much when Troy's not in there. He will need to keep his nose out of the backfield, and stay behind the receivers. We know what Smokey can do. Even Braylon catches one every now and again. Let's not get beat by the play action that's sure to come because a FS is trying to jump on stopping the run. That's what the front 7 are for.

The way the front 7 are playing against the run this year, they shouldn't need Clark to be watching too closely for the run. Let them do their jobs and you do yours and we'll be fine.

VTsteel
12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Well....at least Tyrone Carter isn't the back-up anymore. This should be interesting.

Both statements mirror my own sentiments - Thank God TC isn't gonna be back there and yes to mask our zone coverage weakness the front 7 MUST get pressure

zulater
12-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense to rest Troy this game. This game really doesn't matter, we could lose this game, and as long as we win the last two we get the second seed, no matter what anyone else in the AFC does.

So rest Troy this game, and you can probably sit him out against the Panthers and win that one, and hopefully he's at full speed for the Browns game. Win that game, and you have a bye and Troy should be up to full speed for the playoffs. Unless the injury is more than they are saying. Which in that case we're fucked anyway. :doh:

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
The expectations do not change. We still have more talent and are better than the NY Jets.

We should still dominate and defeat this Jets team, especially at home.

O'Malley
12-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't see the Rat's beating the Aints this week anyhow. If we can get pressure, Mark will not be able to perform. He gets sacked a lot and when he is sacked he fumbles. I say this was the best time Troy could have been hurt and I believe we'll be fine.

Steeldude
12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
harrison might no be 100% either. he has been ill all week. i think he was coming down with something during last sunday's game. he didn't look energized at all

zulater
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
The expectations do not change. We still have more talent and are better than the NY Jets.

We should still dominate and defeat this Jets team, especially at home.

I hope we win, but I wouldn't expect to dominate, with or without Troy.

Look, I'm not saying they concede this game, I'm not saying I don't care if they win or lose, all I'm saying is we can afford to lose this game and it's barely a blip on the radar screen afterwards if the win the last two. Which we certainly should and will if we need to.

In other words win or lose, we're still in excellent shape. ( better obviously if we win) Don't panic ( general sense, not you particuliarly Dino) just because Troy's out, we're just playing our bonus ball early, if it goes in the trough, no biggie. Next two balls the gate is closed, and we're going to light it up!

steel striker
12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Crap well this is not good and, Mundy & Allen must play a good game. Holmes is still a big time threat but, like others have mentioned the front line needs to pressure Sanchez all day force him in bad throws. Now then the offense needs to come out and, score some points. It's time for the oline to play well to give Mendy & Ben a chance to make plays.

Merchant
12-17-2010, 02:59 PM
They don't have their starting Safety. We don't have our starting Safety. Balances out.. Let Troy heal for the playoffs.

O'Malley
12-17-2010, 04:05 PM
They don't have their starting Safety. We don't have our starting Safety. Balances out.. Let Troy heal for the playoffs.

Great point. Troy can take two or three weeks off and be 100% when we really need him!

Count Steeler
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
As much as I love Troy and the way he plays, we have to be able to rise to any occasion and beat any given team on any given Sunday. Sure it would have been nice to see Troy lay out Santonio, but someone else will get that privilege this week. Play as a team, win as a team.

86WARD
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Still think the Steelers win. I was thinking 24-10. With Troy out, I'll go 20-17...

Psycho Ward 86
12-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense to rest Troy this game. This game really doesn't matter, we could lose this game, and as long as we win the last two we get the second seed, no matter what anyone else in the AFC does.

Um no, too early to say that. That 1st round bye is so important to us. We havent had our bye week in freakin' forever and the injuries are catching up.

Chidi29
12-17-2010, 08:15 PM
If you want to look at a positive, this could mean that McFadden will be playing closer to the line if they're going to keep the strong safety in a Cover 2 shell the majority of the game like we did with Carter. When Santonio is on that side, you'll know the Jets will try and go short with him and let him get big yards after the catch.

Whoever starts in place of Troy, my guess in Mundy, just needs to keep everything in front of him and tackle well. It's obviously a big blow to the defense but with how bad the Jets are playing, if his replacement can do that, we'll be ok.

The Duke
12-17-2010, 10:02 PM
They don't have their starting Safety. We don't have our starting Safety. Balances out..

True

And who can take more advantage of that between ben and sanchez? Yeah, it's pretty obvious

Hopefully he gets better though. I do not want to go into the playoffs without him

HometownGal
12-18-2010, 05:40 AM
As much as I love Troy and the way he plays, we have to be able to rise to any occasion and beat any given team on any given Sunday. Sure it would have been nice to see Troy lay out Santonio, but someone else will get that privilege this week. Play as a team, win as a team.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Kjvi6k_b9yp6hjE92GMZ-uWzk4e31tQVwTV5LKO3LMLkn9Jpcw