PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons Why Mike Wallace Is Better Than Santonio Holmes

SteelerEmpire
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Article:

When Santonio Holmes was traded from the Pittsburgh Steelers to the New York Jets during the offseason for a fifth round pick, the team was relying on second year receiver Mike Wallace to fill some very big shoes. Holmes had his statistically best season in 2009 and was the Super Bowl MVP of Super Bowl XLIII with an acrobatic game winning touchdown catch.

Just like Holmes, Wallace has led the NFL in yards per reception. Mike did it last year as a rookie while Holmes did it in his second season.

Read More: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/543784-pittsburgh-steelers-5-reasons-why-mike-wallace-is-better-than-santonio-holmes#page/1

BlastFurnace
12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Holmes is an absolutely awesome RAC guy.

The reason why I like Wallace better than Holmes is that he is more dependable...both on the receiving end and the professional end.

tube517
12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
As Ben points out in the other thread, Sandoobio was great at "improvising" in broken down plays. He also was a big part of the '08 playoffs/SB so that cannot be ignored.

But, I think Wallace will get there and will eventually be better than Sandoobio and is shedding the "one trick pony" image.

I think Wallace seems more humble and is not prone to off the field shenanigans that Sandoobio partakes in. This will go a long way for MW17

The WH
12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
See signature.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
hilarious stuff in the above signature!

1. Wallace is Really Fast
2. Wallace is Really Really Fast
3. Wallace is Really Really Really Fast
4. Wallace is Really Really Really Really Fast
5. Wallace is Really Really Really Really Really Fast

Devilsdancefloor
12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
1. No attitude
2. Team player

Merchant
12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
3. Doesn't do that stupid point and drop the ball thing after he gets a first down.

The WH
12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
3. Doesn't do that stupid point and drop the ball thing after he gets a first down.
Hines does that all the time....

stillers4me
12-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Hines has earned the right to do whatever he wants.

Merchant
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM

He does it on occasion. Holmes does it every single goddamn time. So annoying.

Psycho Ward 86
12-15-2010, 07:02 PM
He does it on occasion. Holmes does it every single goddamn time. So annoying.

Nope, he does it almost exclusively during the backend of a game, or a promising looking drive.

Honestly, that was a really dumb article. It's REALLY reaching for ways that Wallace is better than Holmes. Behavior aside, I really miss Santonio.

Faster? Lol, how often do you hear the "who's faster" arguement when you're trying to compare two players and who's better? Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.5 40's. What a bunch of suckers.

"Holmes has developed a reputation as a clutch receiver by scoring touchdowns in key situations at the end of games. However, he doesn't have the same nose for the end zone as Wallace. Mike simply puts more points on the board than Holmes."

Because delivering in the clutch is less important than scoring TD's at any other time during a game...obviously. :chuckle:

Mike has a higher yards per catch because he isn't even close to as versatile as Holmes in terms of being efficient at running everything up and down the route tree. The last 3 games we have FINALLY used Wallace the way we're going to need him to be if he's going to be the go to guy when Hines is gone. Santonio is way more well rounded.

Santonio is still looks like the better yards after catch guy, there have only been a small handful of occasions where I've seen Wallace take a shorter pass into a massive gain of dozens of yards. Wallace has been catching the ball far away from the line of scrimmage, creating that illusion that he is such an amazing yards after catch guy.

Coincidence that Santonio had his first 1,000 yard season when Wallace came into town? Uh, no because Santonio was up against the opposing team's best corner almost every game, and faced more double coverage than any other receiving option on the team.

~Key thought here Obviously the article is written by bitter steeler fan, and many of you ARE bitter steeler fans. I am ridiculously intrigued by Wallace's potential, but he hasn't replaced Santonio.....YET. Give him some time before you call him better than Holmes. He can be so much better than Holmes, but great potential doesn't mean jack if you never unlock it.

"Unleash me, that's all" - Mike Wallace (You're on the right track kiddo! :))

TheSikOne
12-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Nope, he does it almost exclusively during the backend of a game, or a promising looking drive.

Honestly, that was a really dumb article. It's REALLY reaching for ways that Wallace is better than Holmes. Behavior aside, I really miss Santonio.

Faster? Lol, how often do you hear the "who's faster" arguement when you're trying to compare two players and who's better? Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.5 40's. What a bunch of suckers.

"Holmes has developed a reputation as a clutch receiver by scoring touchdowns in key situations at the end of games. However, he doesn't have the same nose for the end zone as Wallace. Mike simply puts more points on the board than Holmes."

Because delivering in the clutch is less important than scoring TD's at any other time during a game...obviously. :chuckle:

Mike has a higher yards per catch because he isn't even close to as versatile as Holmes in terms of being efficient at running everything up and down the route tree. The last 3 games we have FINALLY used Wallace the way we're going to need him to be if he's going to be the go to guy when Hines is gone. Santonio is way more well rounded.

Santonio is still looks like the better yards after catch guy, there have only been a small handful of occasions where I've seen Wallace take a shorter pass into a massive gain of dozens of yards. Wallace has been catching the ball far away from the line of scrimmage, creating that illusion that he is such an amazing yards after catch guy.

Coincidence that Santonio had his first 1,000 yard season when Wallace came into town? Uh, no because Santonio was up against the opposing team's best corner almost every game, and faced more double coverage than any other receiving option on the team.

~Key thought here Obviously the article is written by bitter steeler fan, and many of you ARE bitter steeler fans. I am ridiculously intrigued by Wallace's potential, but he hasn't replaced Santonio.....YET. Give him some time before you call him better than Holmes. He can be so much better than Holmes, but great potential doesn't mean jack if you never unlock it.

"Unleash me, that's all" - Mike Wallace (You're on the right track kiddo! :))

Honestly that couldn't have been put any better!
He's not there yet people, but he will be. The potential this kid has is godly...

tube517
12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I liked Sandoobio but Hines doesn't do that in a hurry up offense on a game winning drive w/less than a minute to play in the SUPER BOWL.

The WH
12-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Hines has earned the right to do whatever he wants.
touché

HometownGal
12-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Santo is more of a "ME, ME, ME'er". Wallace is a total teamer.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Nothing against Tone, but I like more of what I see in Wallace. Tone's off field problems and attitude are what bring him down, not his physical talent.

HollywoodSteel
12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
There's no comparison.

Mike Wallace has won at least 20 Emmy Awards, among them a report just weeks before the 9/11 terrorist attacks for an investigation on the former Soviet Union's smallpox program and concerns about terrorism. He has also won three Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards, three George Foster Peabody Awards, a Robert E. Sherwood Award, a Distinguished Achievement Award from the University of Southern California School Of Journalism and a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award in the international broadcast category. In September 2003, Wallace received a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, his 20th. Most recently, on October 13, 2007 Wallace was awarded the University of Illinois Prize for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism. And of course, Wallace was one of the original correspondents for CBS' 60 Minutes which debuted in 1968.

That's how to be great!

Steeldude
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
the only mistake the steelers made was letting holmes go fora 5th rounder. they could have suckered some team into a 2nd or 3rd rounder. the raiders are always good for that...lol

Buckinnuts
12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
#1-#5 mike says pass me the ball santonio says pass me the Blunt!