PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace looks to be top receiver in Steelers offense

LLT
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
'Fan-addicts': Mike Wallace looks to be top receiver in Steelers offense this season
June 6, 5:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Examiner

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID50140/images/mike_wallace_Scott_Boehm_Getty

In 2009, Mike Wallace, a rookie, came storming out of Ole Miss and into Heinz Field like an angel with wings. After disappointing production by Santonio Holmes, Wallace was a god-send. His season results? 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns. Not too shabby when you compare him to veteran Steelers receivers last season.

Ward: 95 receptions for 1,167 yards and six touchdowns.

Holmes: 79 receptions for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns.

Sweed: 1 reception for 5 yards and no touchdowns (he was also injured most of the season).

During practices this spring, Wallace has been outstanding. He has been practicing with the first team, and that's where he belongs. Ward, the ever-patient teacher, coach, mentor, and hardest blocking wide receiver in the NFL (argueably) has taken the 'angel' under his wing and consistently been showing him the ropes.

ESPN quoted Wallace as saying of Ward, "Anything I do, he's watching...it's kind of hard to be perfect with Hines out here."

The best parts of Wallace are his strength, his new quickness and understanding of routes, and his hands. Fans are dying to see someone with good hands rise to the top after watching pass after pass get dropped last season. Ward has always been a go-to guy, but he's getting older, and he needs to be able to count on someone else to be able to get open and receive when he's double-covered. Last season, Wallace was primed to be the deep-threat back. This season, expect to see him receiving at least 80 receptions with over 1,000 yards. Anticipate touchdowns by this young man as well. His eyes are on the ball and on the goal.

http://www.examiner.com/x-50140-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2010m6d6-Fanaddicts-Mike-Wallace-looks-to-be-top-receiver-in-Steelers-offense-this-season

xX-TSK-Xx
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Wallace is going to have a good season also. As long as he improves his route running and works on some of his underneath patterns there is no reason he shouldnt' have 1,000 rec yards and 8-10 TDs.

Wallace108
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I have yet to see anything negative about Wallace. :whoo:

venom
06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
If he stays healthy , why not get over 1,000 yards . Big Wallace fan here !!!

SteelKid_212
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
just hope he stays healthy... if he does...
he will put up BIG NUMBERS!!!!
:tt03:

HometownGal
06-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the very good read, LLT! :tea:

I have had complete faith in Wallace's talents and abilities since the first time he stepped on the field in a Steelers uni. I can honestly see him putting up 1,200+ yards this season and 8-10 TD's. In addition to everything he brings to the O's table, I absolutely love his work ethic. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Mike Wallace was the one bright spot in an otherwise 'I wish I could forget that season".

solardave
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Apparantly he does not have "suddeness and glide" but after all he's not a running back.:bounce:

Psycho Ward 86
06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok, 1st of all....

After disappointing production by Santonio Holmes, Wallace was a god-send.

Holmes: 79 receptions for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns.

LOL, ok then...

2nd, i can probably say this as many times as i want and nobody will give a crap lol, but there is a huuuge difference between getting covered by the opposing teams #3 or #4 DB than getting covered by the opposing teams #1 cornerback. Wallace is much more likely primed for a slump than a breakout year. That's why we need to continue to utilize Heath Miller/Moore as our safety valves and punish opposing defenses with the run.

BuddhaBus
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Santonio WHO? :noidea:

solardave
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Santonio WHO? :noidea:

You got that right!

ALLD
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
It goes to show that the best team members are real football players. Can you believe a third rounder is outplaying most of the league at his position. You have to have that burning fire in your belly to succeed to be one of the great ones.

Wallace also appears to avoid twittering or any references to "wake and bake". Finally, can we get back to playing football and winning again please, instead of flexing and reminding everybody how great are our individual accomplishments are regardless of how irrelevant or miniscule their impact is to the game.

steeldevil
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I bet wallaces numbers are better than last year, but not by much

tube517
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Wallace's production will also depend on who is the #3/#4 WR. If they have a good season, it will clear some space for Hines and MW17, as well as Heath.

Every time, Wallace scored last year, Steelers won. Just thinking positively.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
You cant blame Wallace for the guys he had covering him. Just because he beat the 3rd and 4th db's doesnt mean he cant beat #1 and 2 db's. The ball has to go somewhere, i say 1100 yds and 6-8 TD's. Of course I've also been drinking since noon :alcohol:

Psycho Ward 86
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I bet wallaces numbers are better than last year, but not by much

I think that's a lot more realistic to say. My prediction = 800-900 yards, 5-8 TD's, 60-70 receptions

You cant blame Wallace for the guys he had covering him. Just because he beat the 3rd and 4th db's doesnt mean he cant beat #1 and 2 db's. The ball has to go somewhere, i say 1100 yds and 6-8 TD's. Of course I've also been drinking since noon :alcohol:

It doesnt mean he CAN either.

tony hipchest
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
oooooohhh *shaking in boots*

im really scared of the ravens and browns #1 and #2 CB's.

hines ward has toasted d. hall with one shoe. big ben has made c. bailey look ready for retirement.

not too worried. :coffee:

steelpride12
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Im excited for Wallace this season and KNOW he will make an impact. I know he played against #3 defensive backs and all, but seeing the speed and talent he has shown us in his rookie season I know this kid will only improve and cause much frustration for the secondaries. Maybe not a 1,000 yard season yet, but easily 800+. This kid has raw talent and learned under Ward is always a plus!

tony hipchest
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
miles austin went against #1 and #2 DB's last year.

he wasnt shit in the league before that.

Galax Steeler
06-08-2010, 03:49 AM
I am hearing nothing but good things about Wallace. Alot of people think just because we lost Holmes we are in trouble I don't think so. Wallace should have a good year ahead of him and hopefully Sanders and Brown can step up and contribute as well.

Kaeg
06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
"Disappointing production by Santonio Holmes"? That one leaves me a little confused. I thought he had a pretty decent season, myself. Sounds a bit "sour grapes".

atlsteelers
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
i like mike

SteelMember
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm hoping Wallace will continue to impress, and produce in the #1 wideout role without the team missing a beat.

He definately looks to have the work ethic and the physical skills to do it.

MULLDOG24
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the input LLT i'll be drafting Wallace on my fantasy team this year!!!!:peace::whoo: