PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison, Troy Polamalu both could be defensive MVP

SteelerEmpire
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2010/12/14/steelersx.jpg

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
When it comes to league MVP candidates, there is New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and everybody else.

But when it comes to defensive MVP, there's a compelling debate building among two Pittsburgh Steelers playmakers — five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison, the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year.

LINK: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2010-12-14-insider-steelers_N.htm

GodfatherofSoul
12-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I vote Harrison just to give the finger to Goodell.

zulater
12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see Troy get it, just because he's never got it before, and it will look good on the Hall of Fame resume.

zulater
12-15-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Polamalu-AFC-Defensive-Player-of-Week/921e1b39-e736-4788-9c2a-16a8fab25bbe

Safety Troy Polamalu was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week – again.

Polamalu was honored for the second straight week, this time for his performance in the Steelers 23-7 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu got the Steelers on the board when he intercepted his former college roommate Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown to tie the game at 7-7 in the second quarter.

“Troy had a tremendous break on the play,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “Whether or not he was baiting Carson is debatable. It was a route that he was familiar with. I think TO (Terrell Owens) was the intended receiver, and may have tripped or stumbled coming out of his break. I think that provided the necessary grass that Troy needed to come down hill on the ball and make the play. But no question, Troy was in great position and he had a great break on the ball.”

As has been the case over the last month Polamalu also helped to seal the win with another big play when he intercepted Palmer at the goal line as the Bengals were driving late in the game, returning it to the 12-yard line.

This is the fifth time Polamalu has won the Player of the Week award in eight seasons and the second time this season. He won the award last week for his performance against the Baltimore Ravens. He is the third Steelers defender to win the award this year, joining James Harrison (week one) and Lawrence Timmons (week six).

Troy gets defensive player of the week again!:yay3:

hotrodder07
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see Troy get it, just because he's never got it before, and it will look good on the Hall of Fame resume.

I agree. Polamalu probably deserves to get it more than anyone else. Regardless of the fact that other players may have more interceptions, or passes defended, I think there is no doubt that Polamalu is the Most Valuable (defensive) Player in the league today. All he does cannot be recorded in the stats. He makes a great difference in every game he plays in. Really, who is more valuable than Troy? He's having a great season. Plus, he's pretty much the nicest guy in football. He deserves it.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be upset if GodfatherofSoul got his way, and Harrison got the award.

SteelerEmpire
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
You know who possibly the "only" player that could hit Tom Brady, put him out of the game, and get away with it ? In my opinion, Troy! Would like to see him do it if we play those guys in the playoffs... that would be a classic...

salamander
12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
You know you're in a very good spot when not 1, but 2 members of your defense can the Defensive MVP.

tube517
12-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd be happy with either one. Both have good cases to be the Def. MVP, IMHO