PDA

View Full Version : Down to the last 3 games of the season. What're your thoughts?

salamander
12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
vs. New York Jets
I'm expecting this to be a lower-scoring game, probably to the tune of 20-10 or so. The J-E-T-S are in a bit of a slump at the moment. I think we get the win. Welcome back, Santonio.

vs. Carolina Panthers
We shouldn't have a problem with this game, but we all know how those games usually end up for the Steelers. I have a feeling that we'll have a good game. I'd like to see us put up at least 30 points against the lowly Panthers, but I'm sure most of us expected that against the Bungles this past week as well.

@ Cleveland Browns
I'm a little nervous about this game. It's a little hard to call at the moment - will we be in a spot to rest our starters? Will we need to win for prime playoff positioning? Another game we should win, but I never look past divisional rivals.

What're everyone else's thoughts?

CPanther95
12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Unless the Saints or Browns knock off the Ravens, we won't be able to rest starters at Cleveland. Baltimore currently has the tiebreak - going all the way down to #7 on the list:
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

.. I don't know how far ahead they are, but I guess if we blow out the next two teams, we could jump ahead.

Carolina Steelers
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
vs. New York Jets
I'm expecting this to be a lower-scoring game, probably to the tune of 20-10 or so. The J-E-T-S are in a bit of a slump at the moment. I think we get the win. Welcome back, Santonio.

vs. Carolina Panthers
We shouldn't have a problem with this game, but we all know how those games usually end up for the Steelers. I have a feeling that we'll have a good game. I'd like to see us put up at least 30 points against the lowly Panthers, but I'm sure most of us expected that against the Bungles this past week as well.

@ Cleveland Browns
I'm a little nervous about this game. It's a little hard to call at the moment - will we be in a spot to rest our starters? Will we need to win for prime playoff positioning? Another game we should win, but I never look past divisional rivals.

What're everyone else's thoughts?

I agree 100% on what you just said. The Jets make me a little nervous but Sanchize has been awful if we stop the run like we usually do I see us winning this game. Panthers this game shouldnt even be close this team has 1 win and Clausen isnt even an Nfl QB IMO 1 TD pass we should win by 17 but you know its never that easy well probably make it closer than it should be. Browns anything could happen depending on our record and were the raven and jets stand I just hope this game isnt a must win for the #2 seed hopefully we have the #2 seed lock up by then

salamander
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I agree 100% on what you just said. The Jets make me a little nervous but Sanchize has been awful if we stop the run like we usually do I see us winning this game. Panthers this game shouldnt even be close this team has 1 win and Clausen isnt even an Nfl QB IMO 1 TD pass we should win by 17 but you know its never that easy well probably make it closer than it should be. Browns anything could happen depending on our record and were the raven and jets stand I just hope this game isnt a must win for the #2 seed hopefully we have the #2 seed lock up by then

It's their D that makes me nervous. We all know how our o-line is like swiss cheese at this point. They will have to be at the top of their game against the Jets.

Psycho Ward 86
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm really nervous about this Jets game. Our cornerbacks are horribly overmatched.

salamander
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
I just hope the "Sanchize" doesn't re-emerge. Hopefully Sanchez continues with his "Dirty Sanchez" ways.

steeldawg
12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I feel great about the jets game. The jets have proven if they cant run the ball they cant score. The return of keisel has been awsome what a difference in pressure with him in there.
Carolina - no way we lose this game
Browns I agree is one that worries me the most but if delhomme is the qb if like our chances.

Another note I dont think the ravens beat the saints.

fansince'76
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm really nervous about this Jets game. Our cornerbacks are horribly overmatched.

And Sanchez is a vastly overrated chump. It's a wash.

Count Steeler
12-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't thinking winning is the issue against the Jets. I think getting our O on track, especially in the Red Zone, determines how big of a margin we win by. Not to sound overly confident, but I think the Jets are in disarray and as long as our defense plays the way it can, it all depends on the O.

Steeltreal
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
10-3 going into 3 winnable games. I'm thinking a 13-3 finish should get Tomlin Coach of the Year. Think about the 3-1 start without Ben, the league enforcing new rules mid season on hard hits by the team (distractions) ,replacing Jeff Reed and improving special teams overall. Losing both starting tackles and defensive ends, constant shuffling. Where 'winning is the standard' Steelers are getting it done.

Psycho Ward 86
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
And Sanchez is a vastly overrated chump. It's a wash.

The Jets will be able to mask his deficiencies at least decently with that O-line, running game, and all of those people to throw to

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I think the Steelers get the #2 seed in the AFC, then win 1 and lose the next playoff game. Tough to goto the SB with all the injuries and lack of offensive production.

Steeltreal
12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I think the Steelers get the #2 seed in the AFC, then win 1 and lose the next playoff game. Tough to goto the SB with all the injuries and lack of offensive production.

just say you fear Tom Brady dude...

steeldawg
12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
The Jets will be able to mask his deficiencies at least decently with that O-line, running game, and all of those people to throw to

I think you are giving the jets way too much credit. They have not been impressive and barely got bye a lot of bad teams.

Merchant
12-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Savour these moments boys.. Three games left. Feels like the season just flew by. Let's hope we'll be fortunate enough to still be playing in February.

Devilsdancefloor
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
just say you fear Tom Brady dude...

the * do worry me for the reason we never play them well & brad eats up zone coverage. If we pay them hopeful we get lots of pressure & lebeau does rush 3 drop 8

X-Terminator
12-14-2010, 09:14 PM

The Jets lost Damien Woody for the rest of the season. So their OL will not be as strong. I don't think they will be able to run the ball effectively, putting the game in the hands of Sanchez. I like the Steelers chances there.

fansince'76
12-14-2010, 09:17 PM

They got shut out at home by the Packers. They managed a FG against the Patriots. They managed 2 FGs against Miami. For all the talk about how unproductive our offense has been, the Jets' offense has been even more anemic.

steelpride12
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Since 2005 the Steelers have been on a groove where they miss the playoffs the first year, next year make the playoffs, but lose in the second or first game and the 3rd year they win the SB, so you could be correct.

salamander
12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Since 2005 the Steelers have been on a groove where they miss the playoffs the first year, next year make the playoffs, but lose in the second or first game and the 3rd year they win the SB, so you could be correct.

I say we break that trend and win it this year. Between the whole Ben saga and the NFL hating on us (or so it seems), what better than to have Der Kommish hand us the Lombardi at the end of the season?

Craic
12-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Well, if we take care of business this coming week, and next week, its a mute point. Same thing if the Ravens lose a game.

The Duke
12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
They got shut out at home by the Packers. They managed a FG against the Patriots. They managed 2 FGs against Miami. For all the talk about how unproductive our offense has been, the Jets' offense has been even more anemic.

hmm, packers patriots and dolphins. All have pretty good defenses

and now he's facing the steelers. Yeah, he's screwed :grin:

Delraich
12-15-2010, 06:22 AM
10-3 going into 3 winnable games. I'm thinking a 13-3 finish should get Tomlin Coach of the Year. Think about the 3-1 start without Ben, the league enforcing new rules mid season on hard hits by the team (distractions) ,replacing Jeff Reed and improving special teams overall. Losing both starting tackles and defensive ends, constant shuffling. Where 'winning is the standard' Steelers are getting it done.

This post is beautiful!! To say I wasn't thrilled with Tomlins hiring is an understatement but honestly 13-3 this season with all the crap thrown this teams way is nothing short of amazing.

VTsteel
12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Here's what I see happening:

We beat the Jet's 3-0 in OT

We beat the panthers 256-0

Brownies may beat us in their superbowl - I really hope we don't rest starters and do pull this one out. But I believe the Saints beat the Rats. Thus, the Brownie game won't matter as much to us.

HometownGal
12-15-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't thinking winning is the issue against the Jets. I think getting our O on track, especially in the Red Zone, determines how big of a margin we win by. Not to sound overly confident, but I think the Jets are in disarray and as long as our defense plays the way it can, it all depends on the O.

Personally, I don't care if we win by 1 or win by 100 - as long as we have the W in our column. :drink:

The Jets are fighting for their playoff lives so I expect them to bring their A+ game. If the D keeps the pressure on Sanchez, he's going to be in for a rough day. I don't think their running game is going anywhere with as stellar as our rush D is. As long as we can put up 17-20 points on 'em, we'll be just fine.

I won't take either the Panthers or the Browns lightly, especially not the Browns. Hopefully, we've won the North and have sewn up a playoff bye by then and this game won't be an absolute must-win because if it is, the Browns will bring it to play spoiler.

We should go 3-0 over these next three games without a problem, but I never take any opponent for granted no matter what their record is.

SteelMember
12-15-2010, 07:27 AM
These are 3 winnable games.

Savour these moments boys.. Three games left. Feels like the season just flew by. Let's hope we'll be fortunate enough to still be playing in February.

You ain't lyin'. I can't believe we're heading into week 15. Christmas is in 10 days. :doh: It seems like just yesterday we were talking about some QB's indiscretions... well, some things haven't changed. :chuckle:

BuddhaBus
12-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Jets- I feel OK only because we can stop the run and the Jets are struggling and bickering. If that team wasn't in such disarray, I'd be more concerned. Anything can happen, though, with the way our O-line has been playing and I'm certainly NOT guaranteeing a victory even though we SHOULD be able to topple them at home. I'm taking the Steelers in a close one, 17-10.

Panthers- If we don't win this game by double-digits, we have no business in a Super Bowl discussion. This team is horrible and it should be a walk at home. I WILL guarantee this one big, 31-6.

Browns- This one worries me the most as well, but I feel as long as we shut Hillis down, we can take it in another close one, 24-17. I just hope somebody can take out the Ravens for us so we can rest Ben, Troy and any other banged-up players before the playoffs, in which case, it doesn't matter if we win or not if we take care of business in the other 2 games. I'd like to see Leftwich get some time in this season before the playoffs to get him ready "just in case" (knock on wood!).

SteelerFanInStl
12-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Agreed. I don't see any reason for us to fear the Jets offense.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Only game to comment on this week is the Jets, most of you understand that yeah, I'm the "won't look ahead" nutcase fan.

Our Defense should be able to destroy the Jets offense. Sanchez could very well be pulled by the 3rd qrt if we play fast and attack him non-stop and never sit back. Holmes worries me a little only to the point that he'll have his one big play. I pretty much allow for that right now, he gets one big play on us. Always happens when a guy has a "homecoming" so figure that into the mix.

Our offense is good enough to drive on the Jets, move the sticks, and get to the 20 time and time again, 4 FGs for us. I also think that the pressure to score in the redzone is so great at this point that we will actually get a couple TDs in the redzone this week. 14 points. So I have us scoring 6 times, slow long beat their head in drives, short passes, 3 yard runs, quick screens toward Revis' side with onlinemen pounding him into the ground. Sweeps toward Revis as well. I like our TEs to make a couple key 3rd down conversions and for us to pretty much control the game clock, but not score too flashy, just business like, 26 points.

Our Defense however is going to tear up Sanchez and spit him out. It'll start early on their first Play Action pass attempt, we'll crush him, then we'll stuff the running game, they will hit us with a couple draws to LT that will look bad with 8 yard gains or something, but it won't be enough to sustain a drive on us, their punter better keep his leg lose cause he's going to be on the field a ton.

Their WRs drop a lot of passes, and as a team, they make a ton of mental mistakes. They are one loss away from a complete implosion in the locker room with the distraction of their conditioning guy tripping a player and being suspended, the 2 losses in a row, the "murmur" about Sanchez not being able to play in cold conditions. Its all going to come to a head and they will then be chattering about "coaching" before too long and "lack of discipline" in the locker room.

Lots of hired guns on this team, LT, Cromardie, Scott, guys that came to the team to Win Now. Once it looks like they are missing the playoffs, this team falls apart. We will be a big part of that, following in the footsteps of their interdivision rivals the Dolphins and Patriots.

stlrtruck
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Line 'em up
Knock 'em down
Rest during the BYE week