PDA

View Full Version : Rankings: Things seem to line up for the Chargers in 2010(steelers 19th)

polamalubeast
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818768f4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Rankings: Things seem to line up for the Chargers in 2010
By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Senior Writer

With rookies entrenched in offseason workouts and the majority of free-agent movement and trades finalized, it's time to recalibrate how teams stack up one through 32 -- in June.

No team has ever made a Super Bowl in its home stadium, and I'm not saying Dallas will, but the Cowboys have the roster to make them the team to beat heading into 2010. However, their schedule is rugged, and they might not get through their docket medically upright or in playoff contention. The Jets look incredible on paper, but it's tough to get too infatuated knowing that a quarterback's second season is often his most difficult, so Mark Sanchez will have to overcome that. Plus, the new players might not be as good as the ones they replaced.

The more I examined teams, their schedules and the like, there's a team in Southern California that is teed up for a big season, and one in crab country not far behind.

Vote: Rank all 32 teams
We asked for your rankings, and you have spoken with more than 100,000 votes. Those votes have been counted and tour offseason rankings of all 32 teams are in. More ...

1. Chargers -- The Bolts run game improves with rookie Ryan Mathews, and they play just two playoff teams in the first 10 games.

2. Ravens -- WR Anquan Boldin plus RB Ray Rice plus QB Joe Flacco makes this offense as fearsome as the defense.

3. Cowboys -- This team boasts enviable depth. If it can survive its early schedule -- including a highly anticipated rematch with Minnesota in Week 6 -- watch out.

4. Colts -- The beefed up offensive line should help, and the returns of WR Anthony Gonzalez and S Bob Sanders add more firepower on both sides.

5. Packers -- A second season playing the 3-4 defense and a better offensive line with the addition of rookie tackle Bryan Bulaga make this the team to beat in the NFC North.

6. Bengals -- The defense might be the most physical in the AFC. Carson Palmer needs to regain his form. He has more wide receiver (Antonio Bryant) and tight end (Jermaine Gresham) threats.

7. Falcons -- CB Dunta Robinson and rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon change the tenor of the defense. RB Michael Turner is already in shape to return to form.

8. Saints -- Like Indy's Peyton Manning, N'awlins' Drew Brees will have the Saints in the thick of things. The O-line is really good and DE Alex Brown should improve the defensive front.

9. Vikings -- Even if Brett Favre is back, there's no telling if he'll be as money as last season. Minny has to be better in all areas, especially in the secondary.

10. Jets -- Something about all their high-profile moves seems like there's a trap door ready to sink the ship, but Rex Ryan can coach with the best of them, giving N.Y. an edge in the AFC East.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
11. Patriots -- The Pats could start slow, but by the end of the season when Wes Welker is back and some of the young players have their footing, New England could be fearsome.

12. Texans -- Losing LB Brian Cushing for four games hurts. Adding CB Kareem Jackson and RB Ben Tate helps. Matt Schaub needs to take the next step, and Houston needs to win in the division.

13. 49ers -- QB Alex Smith doesn't have to do anything great. He just can't make mistakes. If he keeps improving, San Francisco should win the NFC West.

14. Titans -- The youth movement should benefit the Titans. Some common ground needs to be found with RB Chris Johnson, otherwise his contract demands could be a distraction.

15. Giants -- Defensively New York should be better, but there aren't any assurances of that. The running game and the offensive line play could determine if this is a playoff team.

16. Dolphins -- Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have the defense better and unpredictable. WR Brandon Marshall will change the dynamic of the offense. QB Chad Henne is the key.

17. Eagles -- The switch to QB Kevin Kolb and the overall youth push could help chemistry but cause the team to take a step back. Not a radical one. Philly should get better as the season progresses.

18. Cardinals -- The offensive identity will turn more to the ground game to ease the pressure off Matt Leinart. Ken Whisenhunt is an excellent coach, but this transition could stall things.

19. Steelers -- S Troy Polamalu's return will re-ignite the defense, but the Big Ben/QB situation could disrupt the offense -- and team chemistry. They may miss the playoffs for the second straight year.

20. Seahawks -- Coach Pete Carroll has re-energized the troops and QB Matt Hasselbeck is really dialed in, but there are still a lot of holes that need to be plugged.

21. Raiders -- Oakland could emerge as a playoff team, but that's if QB Jason Campbell shows that he's that type of quarterback. He's an upgrade from JaMarcus Russell, but he's still a question mark.

22. Buccaneers -- Tampa Bay could be this season's sleeper team -- if the rookies all step up. That's asking a lot. They should be a lot better, especially on offense, but not quite yet.

23. Jaguars -- Another possible sleeper. The young O-line should be better as should the offense as a whole, but the defense still is unsettled. Not good in a division where offense is king.

24. Broncos -- Forget the Tim Tebow hysteria, Denver has to fix its defense and hope that OT Ryan Clady rebounds from a knee injury. QB play, of course, is an issue.

25. Redskins -- Donovan McNabb should make the offense better, but the line is still unsettled. The change to a 3-4 defense disrupts a solid unit that doesn't have all the parts for the switch.

26. Chiefs -- A unified coaching staff and better players should help, but a lot depends on QB Matt Cassel. Rookie S Eric Berry could be a difference-maker.

27. Bears -- Jay Cutler will be much better, but will the running game and offensive line improve too? It also hurts to have defensive uncertainties in this division.

28. Lions -- A solid draft class in '09 and the potential of the '10 class, as well as some nice free-agent additions should help. They're still far away overall.

29. Browns -- Cleveland seems to have made upgrades, but you can't win if you don't have a quarterback, which they don't.

30. Panthers -- There is bad karma in Carolina. There is still talent and a lot of gritty players, but a lame duck coach and underlying morale issues could undermine this season.

31. Rams -- First overall pick Sam Bradford is going to take some lumps, but he'll also make some plays. St. Louis still lacks too much talent.

32. Bills -- RB C.J. Spiller was a nice draft choice, and he could be a bright spot if he ever gets room to run. New coach Chan Gailey will have to work miracles to make something of this offense.

SteelKid_212
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
how i hate these off-season predictions....
the bolts at # 1.... the pretty sexy pick every year.... then they suck.
the rat birds at # 2.... seriously????
cant argue with pitt being so low.... :( they need to prove themselves again to move up.

cant wait for the real season to start....

solardave
06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Wyche is FOS. The Chargers get the nod every year and every year they choke. Ratbirds will too. Ray Lewis will finally be their downfall. He'll interfere with his own team mates by trying to be the man. What a joke! He's been doing that for the last 2 years but still NFL network likes him. He's like Brady( over rated ) only not Gay (I don't think he is). At least I wouldn't tell him to his face cause he'd stab me.
Putting us at 19 is a good thing. It gives us the CHIP we need.

polamalubeast
06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I am confident that the steelers are going to appear for the media fool.

In 2004, the steelers were ranked 26th before the start of the 2004 season, but the steelers have a finished 15-1.:toofunny:

salamander
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Good, let them rank us low. It'll make it that much better if/when we finish well.

HometownGal
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
If it's surname is Wyche, the smell of bullshit is rampantly putrid.

1. Chargers -- The Bolts run game improves with rookie Ryan Mathews, and they play just two playoff teams in the first 10 games.

One word describes the Bolts - OVERRATED. That is all.

2. Ravens -- WR Anquan Boldin plus RB Ray Rice plus QB Joe Flacco makes this offense as fearsome as the defense.

I agree 100%. The Rats O will be much improved with the addition of Boldin. Rice is already a force to be reckoned with in the backfield and I've always felt Flacid has talent but had no legitimate weapons until this season.

3. Cowboys -- This team boasts enviable depth. If it can survive its early schedule -- including a highly anticipated rematch with Minnesota in Week 6 -- watch out.

Oh puhhhhhlease. Ho-Ho-Homo will find some way to choke away their Super Bowl dreams just as he always has done.

Steelers at #19? While I'm not a fan of rankings, I think that is a little harsh, even with Ben out of the lineup the first 4 games. If the OL does its job, we incorporate more of a power rushing game to balance out the O and the D doesn't blow leads, we will be just as competitive as anyone else in the AFCN.

tyler289
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Pretty sure every year the Chargers are the sexy pick to win it all, but never do. I'll bet anyone 5 dollars that it's not someone from the top 5 that wins it all this year.

All it takes is one or two injuries, one or two breakout players, and this list is meaningless.

Wallace108
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Why aren't the Browns on the list?
Oh, wait ... I didn't read down far enough. :bounce:

I'm not a big fan of rankings DURING the season, much less this early.
But the Steelers love playing the underdog role ... so whatever helps.

vasteeler
06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
i kind of like to see the rankings, i know they are meaning less but fun.
this list is way off

steel9guy
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
The bengals that high. Seriously? Were gonna kill them this year.

SteelGhost
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
:sarcasm:

Ohhh the off-season predictions, great !

Da Bolts sexy pick is getting old IMHO :yawn:

CantStop85
06-07-2010, 10:09 PM
The bengals that high. Seriously? Were gonna kill them this year.

Like last year? :bananadoggywow:

willie
06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
How the Saints win the Superbowl yet get ranked #8 is beyond me.

steeldevil
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
falcons, titans, and giants above the steelers.... haha

Steelman
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
19th is perfect. If we win it all - in your face. If we suck - it was expected, right? :lol:

tube517
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Cryboys that high....not. Not with that choker at QB.

steeldevil
06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Cryboys that high....not. Not with that choker at QB.

they dont even have a qb right now... homo is too busy trying to qualify for the US Open instead of trying to get better at not being a choker

Psycho Ward 86
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Of course, a prolific passing attack + shitty rungame + no defense in any way or form = superbowl bound.

LOL

steeldevil
06-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Of course, a prolific passing attack + shitty rungame + no defense in any way or form = superbowl bound.

LOL

Cardinals :noidea:... but yea ur right 95% of the time

steelpride12
06-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Once again the Steelers flying right under the radar, which is exactly where we need to be. I love the start of the off season already!

Vincent
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Steelers over the Packers by 3 in Mr Jones' fabulous new house. I want to hear him say "...and we're so proud of Pittsburgh..." again.

steeldevil
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Steelers over the Packers by 3 in Mr Jones' fabulous new house. I want to hear him say "...and we're so proud of Pittsburgh..." again.

thats my prediction as well.. Aaron Rodgers is the real deal, he is my fav non-steeler in the league... and a kick ass fantasy player

ricardisimo
06-08-2010, 12:25 AM
falcons, titans, and giants above the steelers.... haha

And the Texans, and the 49ers, and the Dolphins, and the Eagles (minus McNabb) and the Cardinals (sans Warner)... This list doesn't strike me as too well thought-out. I can see the Ravens being the top-ranked team in the North, but the Bengals ahead of us? When was the last time they won the division two years in a row? '81 & '82 I think, and that was thanks to the strike. Hell, when was the last time they even looked competitive two years in a row? Ain't gonna happen.

SteelCityMom
06-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Wait...you mean the Redskins aren't being picked as Superbowl favorites????

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

Florio is going to be PISSED!

TatarMongol
06-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Chargers at #1, Cowboys at #3, & Bengals at #6 with Steelers at #19? U have got 2 B shitting me. Stupidest list ever.

Galax Steeler
06-08-2010, 04:08 AM
We all know that Phillip Rivers will choke if he gets anywhere close to a championship game. They say the running game will be better with Matthews but LT in his prime could not get them there so how can Matthews.

BuddhaBus
06-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Chargers and Cowboys again? :yawn: :coffee: :deadhorse: How many times do they have to touch the hot stove before they learn IT HURTS? :noidea:

steelpride12
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
If it means being under looked and the under dogs of the league again I like the sound of that.

X-Terminator
06-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Things seem to line up for the Chargers EVERY year, and every year they end up choking it away. I mean, how many big games has Phyllis Rivers won, or looked good in, for that matter? 3 years ago, they ran into the Cheats* buzzsaw. 2 years ago, the Steelers used him and the Chargers like a speed bump on their way to the championship, not once but twice that season. Last year they started off horrible, then got hot and got help from the Broncos' epic collapse, then proceeded to bow out in the first round. Again. But yet, they're somehow the favorite going into the regular season? :lol: :rofl: :rofl2:

Ravens #2? Really? They're good, but they shouldn't be ranked 2nd, sorry. Their offense will be scary, but their defense, while still good enough, isn't anything close to what it was even 3 years ago. They should be the favorite to win the AFCN, though.

Cowboys #3? With Homo the Choker as their QB? :toofunny:

Bengals at #6? Nope, sorry. They will have a first-place schedule and will not be able to sneak up on teams again. They may have to rely on Rosie Palmer to carry them again, because teams are going to load up to stop the run, and I think they will struggle. Their defense should be excellent, though - I'll give them that.

Saints #8? WTF??? All they did was win the fukkin SUPER BOWL last season! :doh:

Was Sam Wyche dipping into Bongtonio's stash when he wrote this article?