PDA

View Full Version : Analyst Both Concerned, Impressed By Steelers Win

stillers4me
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat writer and Steelers insider Ed Bouchette joined the Fan Morning Show in his weekly spot to recap the Steelers’ win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Bouchette says he has some concerns about the Steelers’ offense.
He doesn’t like their running game and the play of their offensive line. If both of those areas don’t improve by the time the playoffs start, Bouchette says he doesn’t think the Steelers will make a deep run.

Bouchette remains impressed by the passing game of Ben Roethlisberger even with the play of the running game and concerns over the offensive line.

According to one of Bouchette’s sources, coach Mike Tomlin was very irritated after the win. He didn’t know why, but speculates that it could have been the lack of calls going Roethlisberger’s way, a fight after the game or all of the holding penalties...................

Listen @ http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2010/12/13/analyst-both-concerned-impressed-by-steelers-win/

tube517
12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
He also tells the Fan Morning Show that one of Polamalu’s teammates told the Post-Gazette’s Ron Cook that his Achilles’ injury is really a calf injury.

Huh? :noidea:

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
yeah, poor Mendenhall was trying to manufacture his own yardage. No runningback should be expected to be elite in this league when they're smashing into contact and facing backside penetration at or behind the line of scrimmage. It just doesnt work that way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
yeah, poor Mendenhall was trying to manufacture his own yardage. No runningback should be expected to be elite in this league when they're smashing into contact and facing backside penetration at or behind the line of scrimmage. It just doesnt work that way.

I agree, that the O line is merely stalemating defenders and Mendenhall is trying to find seams to run in. Just imagine if they actually had some push where the O line was getting 2 yards before Mendenhall gets to the LOS. I know many hate the term "Cowher-ball", but I just think our offense looks soft compared to the Cowher era.

Craic
12-13-2010, 08:57 PM

No no no, see, Jerome Bettis was able to do it every time! Heck, there were a few times when all 21 other people on the field were trying to tackling him and he STILL Got positive yardage.

Craic
12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I gotta wonder if the problem is the zone blocking scheme. Instead of firing straight out and driving, I continue to see this line move left to right or right to left. That is fine if you create a seam, but there are no seams being created. Maybe it is time to go back to an old fashioned O line scheme.

IMO, the other problem, is the trips left wide right formation. When we line up like that, and then try to run, we are automatically pulling 8 guys very close to if not in the box, and asking 3 WR's to block. Now, our wr's absolutely can block. If a safety sneaks up, then we have 9 men in the box. Everyone flows to the ball and fills up holes. Add that to the zone block scheme, and any seam that opens up immediately gets filled by a LB or DB.

I think those two things, plus injuries, are the biggest issues facing the run game.

Merchant
12-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Was our O-Line really much better in 2008? :noidea: