PDA

View Full Version : Matt Spaeth has no place on this team...replace him with David Johnson

BlastFurnace
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Johnson showed more in Baltimore than Spaeth ever has at TE. Let Redman play FB or promote Summers to play FB. Spaeth is worthless.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
As long as Miller is hurt, I'm thinking we should keep Spaeth around...just saying.

oneforthetoe
12-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Johnson showed more in Baltimore than Spaeth ever has at TE. Let Redman play FB or promote Summers to play FB. Spaeth is worthless.

Is that some new fangled position? I have not heard of that.

steelpride12
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
What I like about Johnson is he is improving on his blocks and I remember a few run plays where he totally dominated the defender. Spaeth has not shown much for this team and he didn't play all that well at all against the Bungles beat up D.

stlrtruck
12-13-2010, 11:54 AM
I believe he has a place on this team. He's done some good things, and while he's dropped a few passes, I still think he's done some good things to keep his place on the team.

venom
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
When he blocks , he holds. When the ball is thrown into his hands , he's drops it . When Miller is back , say buhbye

7willBheaven
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Spaeth deserves his spot...his blocking has improved...he has decent hands (except for yesterday when he tried to catch with his chest instead of his hands, haha). Just because DJ had one decent game with 2 catches (maybe 3?) that is no reason to just get rid of Spaeth. This team always has 3 TEs...and this year we've needed them all at different times. All the Spaeth hate is really unfair to him.

7willBheaven
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
When he blocks , he holds. When the ball is thrown into his hands , he's drops it . When Miller is back , say buhbye

So using your logic here (after one game of him filling the #1 TE role)...we should cut Heath as well. As he's dropped passes (and fumbled)...he's been called for holding too. Hmm...yeah those are perfect reasons to cut someone.

ALLD
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
He is tall like Limas Sweed.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM

David Johnsonis our H-back, a fullback/tight end type fusion. He provides valuable flexibility. And we still need Spaeth for depth while Johnson is playing that H-back role. And Johnson caught a whopping 2 short passes against Baltimore. Just chill dude.

The Duke
12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Never been a spaeth fan, but I do think he has improved this year. He showed he is no starter yesterday though

He should be replaced next year, but it's not a huge draft need imo. Just a late pick hoping to get lucky, like tuman and DJ

SMR
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Give it a bit o' time.

steelreserve
12-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Spaeth has a role ... backup. That's about all his role needs to be, and if we find someone better next season, which shouldn't be too difficult, the hell with him.

Craic
12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't know, I saw him lay a DEVASTATING block in the game last week. Simply laid a guy out. I guess we all gotta find people to dislike on this team.

Chidi29
12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't know, I saw him lay a DEVASTATING block in the game last week. Simply laid a guy out. I guess we all gotta find people to dislike on this team.

Had one in the Oakland game too.

Speath is at best an average tight end, but he's a pretty decent blocker. From a #2 TE that will come in for mostly power sets, I don't have a problem with him. Not worth the 3rd rounder, but what are you gunna do...

memphissteelergirl
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I guess we all gotta find people to dislike on this team.

With BF, it's somebody new each week it seems.

tube517
12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Spaeth is a good lookout. Hope Sushishamwow has used him when he goes out.

Craic
12-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Speath is at best an average tight end, but he's a pretty decent blocker. From a #2 TE that will come in for mostly power sets, I don't have a problem with him. Not worth the 3rd rounder, but what are you gunna do...
Chidi,

I think this is a very honest, and downright on target assessment. we are seeing a second stringer trying to fill the shoes of a pro-bowl caliber first stringer. There is NO WAY we can expect him to play at the same level. There is a reason he is the second string.

There is only a couple of plaeyrs that came after him in that round that we'd want or need at that point. So with THAT draft, I am not sure a 3rd round pick was that bad.

Galax Steeler
12-14-2010, 03:57 AM
I think we need to keep him around for a back up roll to Miller he is not the best but for a back up roll I will take him.

Chidi29
12-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Chidi,

I think this is a very honest, and downright on target assessment. we are seeing a second stringer trying to fill the shoes of a pro-bowl caliber first stringer. There is NO WAY we can expect him to play at the same level. There is a reason he is the second string.

There is only a couple of plaeyrs that came after him in that round that we'd want or need at that point. So with THAT draft, I am not sure a 3rd round pick was that bad.

It's not the fact I'm trying to use hindsight to not justify the pick. I have no idea who came after him off the top of my head. But blocking TEs, and that was a what Speath was labeled as if I recall, are a dime a dozen. You could bring in five blockers off of the street who could be just as effective. Guys like Alge Crumpler or Chris Baker are dirt cheap on the open market. You don't need to spend a mid round pick on one.

HometownGal
12-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Spaeth deserves his spot...his blocking has improved...he has decent hands (except for yesterday when he tried to catch with his chest instead of his hands, haha). Just because DJ had one decent game with 2 catches (maybe 3?) that is no reason to just get rid of Spaeth. This team always has 3 TEs...and this year we've needed them all at different times. All the Spaeth hate is really unfair to him.

This. ^^ Well stated. :thumbsup:

Delraich
12-14-2010, 07:29 AM
The whole team can't be pro bowlers. Could Spaeth be upgraded? sure but for his role on this team he isn't the worst choice.

You could bring in five blockers off of the street who could be just as effective. .
I think that is our long term strategy for the O line.:frusty:

LLT
12-14-2010, 07:30 AM

...gotta keep him until nex year. Find a replacement for him in the draft. Someone who has better hands and is more versatile.

SteelMember
12-14-2010, 07:40 AM
It's not the fact I'm trying to use hindsight to not justify the pick. I have no idea who came after him off the top of my head. But blocking TEs, and that was a what Speath was labeled as if I recall, are a dime a dozen. You could bring in five blockers off of the street who could be just as effective. Guys like Alge Crumpler or Chris Baker are dirt cheap on the open market. You don't need to spend a mid round pick on one.

Gotta disagree with you here, Chidi.

Spaeth was a John Mackey Award winner. Rated the "most outstanding" TE in college LIKE Heath Miller, Dallas Clark, Kellen Winslow II and Marcedes Lewis.

He was a two sport player (basketball) like a lot of other TE's who excel at catching the football. He averaged nearly 12 yard per catch in college with about 4td's a season.

He was NEVER a great blocker. He was supposed to be a versatile receiving TE. Well, we're still waiting, and his time here could be almost up.