PDA

View Full Version : Teammates grouse about Big Ben abuse

stillers4me
12-13-2010, 04:54 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 13, 2010

The issue of preferential treatment for quarterbacks resurfaced Sunday in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Bengals at Heinz Field.

At least it did for the Steelers.

Ben Roethlisberger, playing with a broken nose, took several shots to the head yesterday.
After one in the second quarter, Roethlisberger could be seen gesturing and talking to referee Walt Coleman.

"I got the same response that I got last week, that he was just trying to tackle you," Roethlisberger said. "So I just let it go."

Free safety Ryan Clark did anything but that after the Steelers improved to 10-3................................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_713505.html

SteelerFanInStl
12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
What's annoying is Coleman's response. "He was just trying to tackle you"? WTF? And James was just trying to tackle all of the players that he got fined for. That's a stupid statement. The rule states that if you hit the QB in the head, it's a freaking penalty, especially if you club the guy. This was no weak brush of the back of the helmet like what was called against Peyton.

stlrtruck
12-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Let's face it ladies and gentleman the standard has been set. You can not breathe on marsha or it's 15, a fine, and suspension, but Ben is open season!

Devilsdancefloor
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
i must say it isnt just ben i watch a bit of the iggles game last night and on a few occasions vick got it as well with no flag. Maybe it is a keystone state thing...

beSteelmyheart
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
i must say it isnt just ben i watch a bit of the iggles game last night and on a few occasions vick got it as well with no flag. Maybe it is a keystone state thing...
I think it's because they are labeled as criminals & are treated as such.

7SteelGal43
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM

ya know, you may have something there.

Texasteel
12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
IMO this go's way past the refs. As bad as it is this can only happen if GODell and his posse is knee deep in it. I don't thing there is a defender out there that would not gladly trade 15 or 25 grand for a chance of knocking Ben out of the game, but you start handing out well deserved 15 yard penalties and it would likely stop.

Why has GODell not asked the head of refs, "What the hell is going on here?". I can only hope I am wrong, but it seems GODell has put a bounty on Bens head, and I agree, Vick as well. If Ben gets a Carree ending injury, it will be on GODells head, not that he would care.

hotrodder07
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
What's annoying is Coleman's response. "He was just trying to tackle you"? WTF? And James was just trying to tackle all of the players that he got fined for. That's a stupid statement. The rule states that if you hit the QB in the head, it's a freaking penalty, especially if you club the guy. This was no weak brush of the back of the helmet like what was called against Peyton.

Exactly. If you grab someone's facemask, the ref does not say, "He was just trying to tackle you." That's a load of crap. A penalty is a penalty, regardless of the intent of the player. Was he trying to club Ben? Who knows, but he still did it. That should be a penalty. It's really frustrating.

I'll agree with DevilsDanceFloor, though. Vick got a couple late hits that went uncalled last night. I guess they figured they don't have to protect more athletic, mobile quarterbacks? If that is the case, it's complete bull. Back to the facemask example, they do not call it more or less depending on the player it is committed on...

ALLD
12-13-2010, 07:02 PM
It was already stated by somebody else in another thread. NBA rules to keep the "league favorites" out on the field.

***For the record I will insist there is no conspiracy against the Steelers. It's more like an "agenda". :::sarcasm:::

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
The last 3 weeks I've gotten sick and fucking tired of hearing this bullshit from the analysts that "quarterbacks like Big Ben that hang tough in the pocket and dont get sacked easily" dont have as many flags called on them because it's hard to tell if they're getting hit late.

If you're a ref and you can't make that call because of the way that someone plays, GTFO

SMR
12-13-2010, 07:14 PM

I am beginning to wonder about that. Ya could be right. The NFL has become a POLICE STATE.

NCSteeler
12-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Does anyone really think Godell wants either Vick or Ben in the Superbowl this year? I think not, a PR night mare.

Craic
12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Exactly. If you grab someone's facemask, the ref does not say, "He was just trying to tackle you." That's a load of crap. A penalty is a penalty, regardless of the intent of the player. Was he trying to club Ben? Who knows, but he still did it. That should be a penalty. It's really frustrating.

I'll agree with DevilsDanceFloor, though. Vick got a couple late hits that went uncalled last night. I guess they figured they don't have to protect more athletic, mobile quarterbacks? If that is the case, it's complete bull. Back to the facemask example, they do not call it more or less depending on the player it is committed on...

Exactly. There are people who are going a bit overboard with all this stuff. Heck, I am not even sure, in the REAL NFL, if he would get a fine for that. However, he DID hit Ben square in the head. That is a penalty, and should be called.

memphissteelergirl
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Does anyone really think Godell wants either Vick or Ben in the Superbowl this year? I think not, a PR night mare.

Hahhahhahahaha....it would serve him right if it went down that way!!

But we all know he's just drooling because it looks as though his girlfriend Marsha is on the fast track to SB XLV.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Dude the guy sells tickets, of course Goodell wants Vick out there

NCSteeler
12-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Dude the guy sells tickets, of course Goodell wants Vick out there

Dude, I'm pretty sure they don't have trouble selling tickets to the superbowl, even at several hundred a seat.

His biggest concern is AD revenue and looking good to the media.

Galax Steeler
12-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I guess there is no need to gripe about the hits been has been a taking but there is some that should have been called and wasn't.

Kittyfish
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
The last 3 weeks I've gotten sick and fucking tired of hearing this bullshit from the analysts that "quarterbacks like Big Ben that hang tough in the pocket and dont get sacked easily" dont have as many flags called on them because it's hard to tell if they're getting hit late.

If you're a ref and you can't make that call because of the way that someone plays, GTFO

I can understand refs hesitating to whistle a play dead for a QB like Ben who often manages to make a something happen long after most other QBs would be down. But a hit after the ball has left a QB's hand - how is that different if he throws it after 1 second or 10 seconds? The ball is gone; the QB is struck - same scenario, as far as I can see. Also I can't understand not flagging the blows to the head or helmet - as I understood it, the play is OVER at that point, QB scrambling or not, and the offense advances 15 yards with a fresh set of downs.

ETA - the last day or so on ESPN, I've heard a couple of references how Michael Vick doesn't get protected the way Manning, Brady or BIG BEN are?!?!? WTF are they smoking? As pleased as I may be to hear them lump Ben in with the elites, anybody who has paid the least bit of attention should be able to see how Ben is NOT being protected - a broken nose via a blow to the head with no penalty? That's some ref protection for you, for sure. To his credit, Skip Bayless did remind one of the people who claimed Ben was getting preferential treatment that in reality, Ben has been a punching bag, a pinata, but I don't recall anybody else standing up for Ben on this issue at all.

LLT
12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I can understand refs hesitating to whistle a play dead for a QB like Ben who often manages to make a something happen long after most other QBs would be down. But a hit after the ball has left a QB's hand - how is that different if he throws it after 1 second or 10 seconds? The ball is gone; the QB is struck - same scenario, as far as I can see. Also I can't understand not flagging the blows to the head or helmet - as I understood it, the play is OVER at that point, QB scrambling or not, and the offense advances 15 yards with a fresh set of downs.

..snd its even more frustrating when you compare those no-calls on Ben to the harrison hits that are getting fined on a weekly basis!!!!

ETA - the last day or so on ESPN, I've heard a couple of references how Michael Vick doesn't get protected the way Manning, Brady or BIG BEN are?!?!? WTF are they smoking? As pleased as I may be to hear them lump Ben in with the elites, anybody who has paid the least bit of attention should be able to see how Ben is NOT being protected - a broken nose via a blow to the head with no penalty? That's some ref protection for you, for sure. To his credit, Skip Bayless did remind one of the people who claimed Ben was getting preferential treatment that in reality, Ben has been a punching bag, a pinata, but I don't recall anybody else standing up for Ben on this issue at all

Skip Bayless drives me crazy at times....but to his credit, he has never been a parrot. He sometimes LOVES the role of devils advocate and in this case he is right on the money