PDA

View Full Version : Monday Madden: Steelers need White

polamalubeast
06-07-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/june/07/monday-madden-steelers-need-white.html

Monday Madden: Steelers need WhiteTEXT SIZE By: Mark MaddenBeaver County Times
Monday June 7, 2010 12:02 AM

The World Cup starts Friday. For me, it’s the real football. For you, it’s Steelers, Steelers, Steelers. So I’ll entertain you, and not myself, with refreshing Steelers notes. Big Ben until I die, Big Ben until I die, I know I am, I’m sure I am, Big Ben until I die!

-- If the Steelers are serious about making a bigger commitment to the run, they are ill-equipped to do so. Expecting sixth-round pick Jonathan Dwyer to provide power is a leap of faith, especially when rookies usually get short shrift in Pittsburgh. The answer: LenDale White, cut by Seattle. What a boost White and Ben Roethlisberger would provide in Week 6 when their suspensions finish. White would help the Steelers grind clock and keep their defense off the field in the fourth quarter.

Oh, I forgot: White desecrated a Terrible Towel once. He’d have to stand trial for war crimes before joining the Steelers.

-- Ben Roethlisberger spoke to the media. Some feel he didn’t say enough. What did you expect, play-by-play from the VIP men’s room at Capital City? Some things, Roethlisberger simply isn’t going to talk about, nor should he. There’s no upside.

-- The weirdest part of Roethlisberger’s comeback will be when fans who proclaim undying love for the Steelers try to hinder the team’s cause by making Ben’s life as difficult as possible. Again, no upside. I’d be interested in knowing how many of these people apply the same exacting moral standards to their own lives.

-- Roethlisberger would err if his first in-depth sit-down interview since Milledgeville is with a big-name national sportscaster or, God forbid, Oprah or Larry King. Roethlisberger’s biggest amends must be made with the people of Pittsburgh. He should talk with KDKA-TV’s Bob Pompeani. Pompeani is credible, a good interviewer, and he’s been fair to Ben. Anything of substance that’s said will be picked up nationally.

-- Receiving is a potential problem area. If Hines Ward or Mike Wallace gets hurt, the Steelers’ pass-catching corps would be really, really bad.

Advertisement

-- The aforementioned reluctance the Steelers traditionally display when it comes to giving rookies meaningful roles will deprive them of a chance to strengthen their offensive line. No way Maurkice Pouncey isn’t better than Trai Essex right now.

Pouncey is probably better than Justin Hartwig right now, too.

Pouncey might also be superior to Chris Kemoeatu.

I wonder if Pouncey can play wide receiver?

l Don’t worry about James Harrison missing OTAs. He missed the entire second half of last season, too.

-- After initially looking shaken by his team’s off-field shenanigans, Mike Tomlin has regrouped. His cliché-ridden self-importance during interviews still irritates — Tomlin comes off as part president, part Pope — but he’s regained his cool and composure and appears to be in control. Time will show if he really is.

-- Tomlin handled the four-headed quarterback monster perfectly when he gave Charlie Batch very little work at OTAs. Batch won’t play during Roethlisberger’s suspension unless Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon both get hurt, and he’ll be cut when Ben returns. It’s not about being fair (although a QB of Batch’s age, limited skill and meager accomplishment having a job at all, for any length of time, seems charitable, never mind fair). It’s about preparation. Save fair for the Homestead Little League.

-- Is Daniel Sepulveda’s job at risk? During his three-year NFL tenure, the former fourth-round pick has disappointed — when he hasn’t been injured, that is. If Adam Graessle (ex-Pitt) can match Sepulveda’s punting, he could provide a big upgrade on kickoffs.

-- Don’t let the recent calm deceive you. The storm is just around the corner. Major distractions will combine with another tough year defensively to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

venom
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I just dont know about this one

Killer
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Let's review...

Seahawks cut LenDale White, who faces a drug suspension

Despite the cast that White slimmed down to 220 pounds and was in the best shape of his football career, there were rumblings within the front office that White, who ran for 2,349 yards and 24 touchdowns in four seasons with the Titans, wasn't performing to the level expected by Carroll and general manager John Schneider. Schneider expressed the reason for the release like so: "It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seahawks. It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program. We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

What we then learned, per Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network, was that White is facing a four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy. According to La Canfora, the Seahawks were aware of White's possible suspension when they traded for him, and that was not the reason he was cut.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Seahawks-cut-LenDale-White-who-faces-a-drug-sus?urn=nfl,244458

SteelerSal
06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Madden is a boob.

How he is still around to write his babble is beyond me.

BlastFurnace
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Lendale White...no thanks

LLT
06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Let's see.

Lendale White has been:

1) Suspended for drug use
2) Traded from one team of laziness
3) Cut from another team for laziness
5) Arrested in Denver for destruction of property and resisting the police.
6) Shown disrespecting the Steelers by stomping on their Towel.....

Hmmmmm....Gee Mark Madden....Cant think of a single reason we shouldnt snatch him up.

idiot.

vasteeler
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
wow.......what an idoit, how some of these"writers" have jobs is beyond me

klick81
06-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I cannot believe these people get paid to write this stuff.

BlastFurnace
06-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Let's see.

Lendale White has been:

1) Suspended for drug use
2) Traded from one team of laziness
3) Cut from another team for laziness
5) Arrested in Denver for destruction of property and resisting the police.
6) Shown disrespecting the Steelers by stomping on their Towel.....

Hmmmmm....Gee Mark Madden....Cant think of a single reason we shouldnt snatch him up.

idiot.

Forgive him LLT...he said he's concentrating on the World Cup....the Real Football.

zulater
06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Agreed he's nuts on the LenDale White issue, but I thought he made some interesting comments on other things.

-- Ben Roethlisberger spoke to the media. Some feel he didn’t say enough. What did you expect, play-by-play from the VIP men’s room at Capital City? Some things, Roethlisberger simply isn’t going to talk about, nor should he. There’s no upside.

100% agree.

-- The weirdest part of Roethlisberger’s comeback will be when fans who proclaim undying love for the Steelers try to hinder the team’s cause by making Ben’s life as difficult as possible. Again, no upside. I’d be interested in knowing how many of these people apply the same exacting moral standards to their own lives.

Again spot on. In my opinion any man who's gotten a lap dance with a girl that could have been under 21 or has bought an issue of Barely Legal or a copy of Girl's Gone Wild is just as ethically challenged as Ben was on the night of his birthday celebration.

stillers4me
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I DO agree with what he says about Ben.

zulater
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
-- Roethlisberger would err if his first in-depth sit-down interview since Milledgeville is with a big-name national sportscaster or, God forbid, Oprah or Larry King. Roethlisberger’s biggest amends must be made with the people of Pittsburgh. He should talk with KDKA-TV’s Bob Pompeani. Pompeani is credible, a good interviewer, and he’s been fair to Ben. Anything of substance that’s said will be picked up nationally.

I hope Ben's advisors take this one to heart. :thumbsup:

-- The aforementioned reluctance the Steelers traditionally display when it comes to giving rookies meaningful roles will deprive them of a chance to strengthen their offensive line. No way Maurkice Pouncey isn’t better than Trai Essex right now.

Pouncey is probably better than Justin Hartwig right now, too.

I don't know why he doesn't think Pouncey is going to start? Everything I've seen indicates it's the Steelers intention to start Pouncey at right guard right from the get go.

-- Tomlin handled the four-headed quarterback monster perfectly when he gave Charlie Batch very little work at OTAs. Batch won’t play during Roethlisberger’s suspension unless Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon both get hurt, and he’ll be cut when Ben returns. It’s not about being fair (although a QB of Batch’s age, limited skill and meager accomplishment having a job at all, for any length of time, seems charitable, never mind fair). It’s about preparation. Save fair for the Homestead Little League.

I agree with him here too. --

steelpride12
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
How stupid can you be and they get paid to write this garbage! Let's see drug charges coming soon and we know the Steelers don't tolerate poor behavior, and a guy who is called upon for taking plays off and being lazy, coming into camp overweight, and discriminating the TT. What a joke seriously.

BigNastyDefense
06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
First off, he is basing most of "rookies don't play" thoughts on the Bill Cowher years. Cowher rarely ever played rookies on anything but special teams. If Cowher were the coach last season, Mike Wallace would have only seen the field on the rare occasion Cowher went with 5 receiver sets.

Lets look at Mike Tomlin's history:

Lawrence Timmons: A rookie competing with James Harrison for a starting OLB spot. A rookie also coming into Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defensive system. There is a reason rookies don't normally start on defense for the Steelers, and it's so they can learn the system. He also ended up having to learn ILB which is where he is now at.

LaMarr Woodley: Got significant playing time as a rookie, especially in the playoff loss to Jacksonville where he had two sacks. He had four sacks during the regular season in limited snaps, playing in 13 games. In Dick LeBeau's defense, where rookies playing time is normally limited. Not to mention he was converting from DE to OLB.

Rashard Mendenhall: He had fumble problems as a rookie but was still second string to Willie Parker, who was coming off of of a good season, minus the broken leg in week 15. In his first start, he broke his wrist against the Ravens and was put on IR. So the limited use of Mendy wasn't Tomlin, it was Mendy.

Evander Hood: Moving from DT to DE in a 3-4 defense with two good DE's in front of him. Yeah, he wasn't used a lot last season, but nobody expected him to. He was a depth/future pick. He'll see more playing time this year because he knows what's expected of him now. Like said before, rookies rarely see lots of playing time in Dick LeBeau's defense, especially if they are switching positions.

Mike Wallace: Won the third receiver job. Stats as a rookie are 39 catches, 756 yards, 28 of his catches were for first downs (holy crap!), 6 touchdowns. This is as a #3 rookie receiver.

This year, Markice Pouncey will probably start at RG. Is he possibly a better center than Hartwig? Yeah, at the physical job. But he doesn't know the Steelers line calls and adjustments. He needs a year at guard to learn the nuances of the pro game and the Steelers offense. He might win the starting center job in camp, Tomlin isn't ruling that out. If there are injuries, I don't doubt Tomlin will move him to center.

And no, we do NOT need Lendale White. Running back historically has been the easiest position for a rookie to come in and make a positive impact. White is about to be suspended for drug use, the same thing the Steelers traded Holmes (a much better player) for a fifth round pick for. White has proven to be lazy and unmotivated at times. Dwyer could be a power/short yardage back, if he wins the job. There's also a chance he doesn't win the job, Mendy does.

Michael
06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Madden is around because he is irritating , often but not always non-sensical and he gets our attention . I don't read the comics any more there are too many other ways of finding subjects to laugh about.

I like his description of Tomlin as I have been trying since last November to express my assessment of MT. Quite frankly the way MT talks iirrtates me but please do not count me among the defenders of Madden he is wrong on White. Hopefully he is right on Pouncey. He is right on Ben . Sepulveda situation is very uncertain. I am going to hold Madden accountable for the storm and resultant non play-off record this season. If you were to ask me to make a hugh bet on the Steelers record this year I would say some where between 6 and 10 and 10 and 6. LOl There are many questions out there.

SteelKid_212
06-07-2010, 02:10 PM
god i hate lendale white.... why the hell would we want such trash in our team.

no thanks... NEXT!:ranger:

solardave
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Madden is a boob.

How he is still around to write his babble is beyond me.

He is if you spell boob (asshole) If you don't then he is just a:jerkit: Why would anyone listen to this idiot. He obviously doesn't even like the team he's covering. OH Yeah- Lendale White is a loooooser. I can't believe I wanted us to draft him.

Steeldude
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
lol...lendell white? the guy is horrible. he is easily brought down and has a poor work ethic

ALLD
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
This dude must write his sports column with a crayon.

MULLDOG24
06-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't want L. White on this team!!!! That dude is a piece of crap and I don't forgive him for stomping on the "TERRIBLE TOWEL" !!!!!

The Duke
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok, how about make Madden and Florio's articles illegal on this board?

wootawnee
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
The sky is falling..........I can't wait for the season to start.......Were gonna rock....

Chidi29
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Power backs are pretty overrated anyway. Unless you're running a zone blocking scheme, you should be generating your push from the offensive line when you need one. Put nearly any back in the backfield behind a line that can drive the defense back on 3rd and short and you're going to get the first down. Sure, it can be nice to have a power guy, but far down on the list of needs IMO.

Steely McSmash
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Please!

Devilsdancefloor
06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
we need white like we need another hole in our head. This madden jagoff has nothing ever good to say about the steelers or comes up with hair brained ideas like this. How the hell does he keep a job?

steelpride12
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I know Madden is upset because of the immaculate Reception, but for crying out loud of never heard of such garbage in my life. He shouldn't even be allowed to write articles on the Steelers, it's only garbage.

SMR
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Sounds alright with me. Both guys are a joke!

Bluecoat96
06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
The sky is falling..........I can't wait for the season to start.......Were gonna rock....

Had to do it for FS76 :biggrin1: and yes....we are gonna ROCK!!!

http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sky-is-falling.jpg