PDA

View Full Version : Kamikazes improve kick coverage

stillers4me
12-12-2010, 06:53 AM
By Kevin Gorman (kgorman@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 12, 2010

Before the Steelers played at Cincinnati last month, Emmanuel Sanders was warned about how Bernard Scott found a cutback lane and returned a kickoff for a touchdown at Heinz Field last season.

"I heard about the previous year, how he took one back," Sanders said. "That was a key play in the game and helped them win last year. The coaches preached that the whole week leading up to that, and we knew as a kickoff-coverage (unit) we had to contain him."

So, Sanders ensured there would be no encore.

The rookie receiver crushed Scott on the opening kickoff, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Jason Worilds to set up a touchdown. It was a sign that things were going to be different this season for the Steelers, who dropped from the NFL's No. 1 kick coverage unit in 2008 to 26th last season.

"I was real pleased they started out that way on the opening kickoff," said Steelers special teams coordinator Al Everest, who came from San Francisco to replace Bob Ligashesky. "Special teams can definitely set the tone for you, and that's our job, to set the tone and create momentum sometimes when there isn't momentum. It's a challenge. It's just like saving hostages. You've got 20 of them, and you save 18, they don't write about the 18 you saved. They're going to write about the two you got killed."..............................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_713412.html

Galax Steeler
12-12-2010, 07:12 AM
I hope this article don't put a jinx on us today.

LLT
12-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Anybody else smile when you read how our two rookies were involved in theforced fumble and the fumble recovery?

Count Steeler
12-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Improve, yes they have, no returns for TDs this year. However, could still cut down on the return yards.

43Hitman
12-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I hope this article don't put a jinx on us today.

Me too man. Makes me a little bit nervous, we've been better this year but a few times teams have been really close to breaking one.

Anybody else smile when you read how our two rookies were involved in theforced fumble and the fumble recovery?

Yeah man, I'm happy with the progression of all our young guns so far this season. We've been fortunate that they've been able to to step right in and play at a high level.