PDA

View Full Version : Troy, Timmons and Woodley.

steel9guy
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I hate to bring this up right now but something has me freaked out. Lamaar Woodley's contract is up after this year and Troy and Timmons run out in 2011. How will we afford to keep these guys?

GodfatherofSoul
12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I think quite a few guys won't be here next year. Can't imagine we'll keep both Batch and Leftwich; Dixon is probably gone, too. Mewelde Moore is probably gone. Spaeth, Essex, and maybe Hoke. I don't know the backups all the well, but I imagine we'll clean house at the middle tier of the roster.

Woodson_DownUnder
12-09-2010, 08:12 PM
I hate to bring this up right now but something has me freaked out. Lamaar Woodley's contract is up after this year and Troy and Timmons run out in 2011. How will we afford to keep these guys?

Players EGO's will be the key. If they want success together, they'll work it out. Why there needs to be increases in each contract when you consider 'injuries' don't win games and hurt the team is something that needs to be addressed. EGO is a Dirty Word.

JayC
12-09-2010, 10:56 PM
on that list: most important is troy. 2nd is timmons. 3rd is woodley. i like woodley but i rather have the other 2. we can find another pass rusher, we cant find another timmons or troy

O'Malley
12-10-2010, 12:44 AM
on that list: most important is troy. 2nd is timmons. 3rd is woodley. i like woodley but i rather have the other 2. we can find another pass rusher, we cant find another timmons or troy

I agree with that. It would be nice to have all three but............

pepsyman1
12-10-2010, 12:47 AM
To be totally honest, I almost never worry anymore about the Steelers when it comes to their linebackers. After YEARS of watching free-agent linebackers walk out the door for more money elsewhere and then seeing someone else step in and not miss a beat. I've come to accept that we know how to develop linebackers and we seem to be able to draft quality prospects at will. Troy is another story, he's a truly unique player and deserves whatever he can get.

Craic
12-10-2010, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Right now Troy is in the backloaded part of his contract. That means his cap hit (When they bring the cap back.. and it WILL come back) is going to be gone the year after next (which is when his contract concludes-2012, not 2011). He will be 31 years old, with almost 1/5 of his contracted time spent on the injured list (per game). He has also had that big contract already. I think he will get a very good one, but it won't be a bank buster. The money we save in cap room will allow us to keep him.

Charly Batch is almost a 1 million dollar hit on the cap, with 855K in salary this year. Randle El is a 2 Mill. cap charge, with 1.7 M going out in salary. And as I said, Troy P. is a MAJOR cap hit, second highest on the team with 8.3 M in cap and 6.1 in salary. We also just cleared 2.8 Mil in cap and salary with the dumping of Skippy. Don't forget, right now, Timmons is being paid 550 K this season, but he is a 2.45 M hit in cap room. That goes away. Woodley is only 900 K in cap space, and 550K in salary.

That means, as we sit right now, by simply dropping Batch (make him a coach!), Letting Randle El go (Sanders has already surpassed him on the depth chart, Brown is charging hard, and Limas S. has 1 more camp to put it together), and already dumping Reed, we clear over 5 1/2 mill in cap space alone. 5.4 or so Million in REAL dollars is freed up as well. Then, if we add in the expired/renog. contracts of Woodley and Timmons, we have over 8.8 mil. in cap space and about 6.5 M in real money freed up. If Troy renegotiates now, I wouldn't be surprised to see us gain another 2-3 mill in cap space and a Mil. or so in actual money. That would put us at 7 mill (took a little off to pay the new punter) in real money for the two LB's, without ANY changes to the team as they head on the field this Sunday.

No, I am not really worried about it.

(EDIT: I realize you meant contract concludes after the 2011 season :doh: I was going back actual calendar years :chuckle:. Oh well, )

Steeldude
12-10-2010, 02:47 AM
if it comes down to letting one go i would say let woodley walk. he disappears far too often to demand an extremely high salary.

Galax Steeler
12-10-2010, 03:29 AM
if it comes down to letting one go i would say let woodley walk. he disappears far too often to demand an extremely high salary.

I agree we need Timmons and Troy I like Woodley but he can be repalced.

The Duke
12-10-2010, 04:16 AM
I agree we need Timmons and Troy I like Woodley but he can be repalced.

Worilds!

Seriously, if woodley can't accept his fair contract he can walk right by the door. We won't di without him. And also, didn't realize Randle El's cap hit. He certainly won't be back next season

Oh, and we need to trade timmons before he becomes too expensive for us....even though he sucks :chuckle: (old joke)

TroysBarber
12-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Making matters worse, Ike's contract expires too.

fansince'76
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM
I think a bigger concern at the moment is if there is even going to be a 2011 season at all....

Lambert_Loonie
12-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Off the top of my head: You know what Jason Gildon, Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell have in common? They were solid-to-great Linebackers for the Steelers who were either released or resigned elsewhere at the end of one of their contracts. No offense to those guys, but the Steelers lived without them. Considering the history the Steelers have in terms of Linebacker development, I think if Woodley leaves, somebody will step up.

stlrtruck
12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Off the top of my head: You know what Jason Gildon, Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell have in common? They were solid-to-great Linebackers for the Steelers who were either released or resigned elsewhere at the end of one of their contracts. No offense to those guys, but the Steelers lived without them. Considering the history the Steelers have in terms of Linebacker development, I think if Woodley leaves, somebody will step up.

Yeah but the Steelers lived without them after their peak performances with the Steelers. I feel there is no need for the Steelers to shoot themselves in the foot. I also think it's about time that the FO start thinking about the locker room presence and leadership that comes from some of these players. It can have an adverse affect on the team in the locker room which in turn affects the product on the field.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Yes and No on this one. Losing Chad Brown hurt the Steelers defense tremendously. Carlos Emmons replaced Brown and the ROLB positioin was not the same until Joey Porter became a starter in 2000.

For all of Gildon's sacks, he was never as disruptive as Kevin Greene.

I agree with you on losing Gildon, Porter, and Bell though. They were all replaced with a better player.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Honestly, I'm enjoying this year. I'll worry about next year...next year.