PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for Pirate Radio (ROCCO FIRED from 104.7)

BPS3akaWirels3
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/7de392

A Farewell
by Rocco DeMaro on Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 2:58pm

I was fired from Clear Channel today.

It's not a huge surprise considering the state of the radio industry. There isn't much job security in this field and while the stock market has rebounded a bit since the recent recession, unemployment remains very high.

That aside, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone over at Clear Channel for the last seven years of employment.

I was hired in January of 2004 at WPGB and worked as Guy Junker's producer for his Saturday show for about 6 months. Guy was then hired away by WEAE. I took over his weekend show and have been on the air ever since.

In those seven years I've made some friends, rubbed some people the wrong way, done lots of radio and had a blast in the process.

Obviously my time on 'Extra Innings' stands out the most to me, as I've been able to connect with the best group of sports fans on the planet on a nightly basis over the past four summers. And that is not bullshit, as it is literally impossible to be a fairweather Pirates fan these days.

It's easy to be a Steelers fan. It's easy to be a Pens fan. But to have stuck with the Pittsburgh Pirates of this era...it's the ultimate proof of a fan's credibility.

It's been an 18-year test of loyalty for you guys and gals, and those that were dedicated enough to stick with Bucs can rightfully claim to be among the greatest sports fans on Earth.

Over the past few years, those same Pirates fans have helped 'Extra Innings' post higher ratings than the actual games, with that gap growing to 2 full points(!) this year. It's an insane number, only made possible by the overwhelming dedication of Pittsburgh sports fans and the latent popularity of Pirates baseball.

I sit here, heartbroken, at the thought that I may never be able to connect with the great Pirates fans of Pittsburgh the way I did over the past four years of my life.

But on the other hand, many people work their entire lives without ever loving what they do. In that respect, I feel extraordinarily lucky to have been given the last four years.

-Roc

p.s. Resist.