PDA

View Full Version : Would look good in Black and Gold....

NCSteeler
12-09-2010, 12:49 AM
No one else has posted it yet so.........
Champ Bailey

I figure the price and age will be too high, but I think the guy has another 1-2 years of good corner play left in him, and he's played in a 3-4 before, although not Dick's 3-4.

If we could get him for 3 years 20 mil, should we do it? He might take a discount for a chance at a ring.

The Denver Broncos ended contract talks with Bailey earlier this season and with the firing of head coach Josh McDaniels the Broncos will once again be in rebuilding mode, leaving Bailey’s future in Denver uncertain.

Bailey, who turns 33 this summer will be entering his 13th season in the NFL in 2011. Whoever the Broncos hire as their next head coach will affect whether or not Champ re-signs with the fledgling Broncos.

"I hope whatever plan they go with they believe in it, they stick with it and let it play itself out," Bailey said. "I don't know if I could stand another change, after this one. This is the last straw for me. I really don't like dealing with this now, not at this point in my career.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/538926-nfl-rumors-will-cornerback-champ-bailey-leave-the-denver-broncos

7willBheaven
12-09-2010, 02:31 AM
No and no.

Galax Steeler
12-09-2010, 03:02 AM
I would rather take a chance on a young corner coming out of the draft that way we would have him for years instead of a couple.

vader29
12-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I'd take him for a year or two, he would be an upgrade over what we have and we could still draft a corner early and have him be the eventual starter.

HometownGal
12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't mind having Champ for a couple of seasons and still draft a corner in next year's draft for Champ to mentor. The guy is a helluva football player and I really think he could make a tremendous impact on a young player in the learning process.

Texasteel
12-09-2010, 07:57 AM
I think that might be a good idea to get Champ at the end of his career. Think he still has plenty of football left. Can he be here by Sunday?

Steeldude
12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
way too much for an old man. let's get someone fresh and young.

fansince'76
12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
"Never-saw-a-pump-fake-he-wouldn't-bite-on-completely" Bailey? Pass.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
No one else has posted it yet so.........
Champ Bailey

I figure the price and age will be too high, but I think the guy has another 1-2 years of good corner play left in him, and he's played in a 3-4 before, although not Dick's 3-4.

If we could get him for 3 years 20 mil, should we do it? He might take a discount for a chance at a ring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/538926-nfl-rumors-will-cornerback-champ-bailey-leave-the-denver-broncos

This team needs to get younger. He's old and well past his prime.

steelpride12
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I do love his skill and talent, but there is no point in picking up an older corner for a few seasons. We need to pick a few talented ones up in the draft who we can sign long term.

stlrtruck
12-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd take him for a year or two, he would be an upgrade over what we have and we could still draft a corner early and have him be the eventual starter.

I was thinking the same thing. He could be a mentor and then possibly turn coach. He has a nose for the ball and a knowledge of the game that very few possess.

SteelerEmpire
12-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't mind having Champ for a couple of seasons and still draft a corner in next year's draft for Champ to mentor. The guy is a helluva football player and I really think he could make a tremendous impact on a young player in the learning process.

This.

BigNastyDefense
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't mind having him for a few years, he could help mentor our young guys and hell, he could even give Ike some tips.

However if I had to choose between drafting a young guy to become our future stud cornerback or an old Champ....I would take the young guy.

And whenever I think of Champ, I think of the 2005 AFCCG when Ben pump faked Champ out of his jock strap on a TD pass to Ward.

Nadroj 20
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
With the way McFadden has been playing I'm up for any ideas and this one i wouldnt mind.

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Tell ya what, we are already drafting late this season, down in the late twenties depending on how we finish out the years, so the chances of getting a "revis" type rookie shut down guy is pretty slim. We'll have to draft a kid that needs "taught" the position at the NFL Level and will need a year or two to grasp the Lebeaugh/3/4 Defense schemes and what not, so bringing in a guy like champ, sign him to a 3 year deal (gone in 2) let him teach our kid how to play the position, then let him play on the opposite side of Taylor and maybe move McFadden to Nickle...with Clark and Troy back there...I might be a little more comfortable going forward with that idea...its not bad...not one of the worst "would look good in black and gold" posts I've ever read that's for sure.

The Duke
12-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Im more interested in seeing if ike gets resigned

he's always been loyal and I'm sure he'll get his fair deal done

after that, we need young talent. See if butler develops like lebeau seems to think. And if lewis shows anything cause so far he's not even cutting it in special teams

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd be cool with him being a temporary placeholder, but im pretty sure someone would outbid us for his services. All it takes is ONE team.

salamander
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd be cool with him being a temporary placeholder, but im pretty sure someone would outbid us for his services. All it takes is ONE team.

Agreed.. the Steelers don't usually go too crazy for players who are 30+ years old.

Merchant
12-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Just what we need.. another aging veteran. I would pass.

JayC
12-09-2010, 10:51 PM
i think Mel Blount at 62 could play better than mcfadden..sure i'd take champ bailey in a heartbeat. ill take any help at cb

Lambert_Loonie
12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd give him a shot for the rest of the season and maybe 2011 (if we get a 2011). After that, we'll see.

For all the "great, bring in another old guy" talk - it's not like he'd be getting a 10 year deal worth 100 million (least not how I'd do it). McFadden's showing why the Steelers dropped him in the first place. Outside of Ike, our corners are lousy at best. You're telling me you wouldn't give Champ Bailey a shot for 20 regular season games + postseason, considering our CB woes?

7willBheaven
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd give him a shot for the rest of the season and maybe 2011 (if we get a 2011). After that, we'll see.

For all the "great, bring in another old guy" talk - it's not like he'd be getting a 10 year deal worth 100 million (least not how I'd do it). McFadden's showing why the Steelers dropped him in the first place. Outside of Ike, our corners are lousy at best. You're telling me you wouldn't give Champ Bailey a shot for 20 regular season games + postseason, considering our CB woes?

He's on the Broncos...he cant be brought in at all this year...unless they cut him out of nowhere...then someone else will claim him.

steelreserve
12-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha was drafted 31st. Ike Taylor was drafted in the fourth round.

Yes, you generally get the immediate "shutdown" corners with a single-digit pick, but there are enough decent ones that come out of rounds 2-4 that I'm plenty happy sticking with what we've got and continuing to test our luck until we get another good one. we've got a couple years to keep doing that.

I do wish we'd try going after a corner in a higher round than 4-5 someday, though. We've been doing that for too long and had a ton of washouts. But overall, as long as we have average CBs, they're adequate for the defense we play, and their success depends more on how much pressure and confusion we generate than anything else. Taylor and McFadden are both OK for that. It's when we play shitty no-pressure defense that McFadden and Gay get exposed as less than stellar.