PDA

View Full Version : Rep.-elect refuses congressional benefits

Wallace108
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
This is pretty cool. A new rep from my neck of the woods is refusing congressional health-care benefits and the government 401(k) program.

U.S. Rep.-elect Bill Johnson said he will not take congressional health care benefits as he enters Congress.

The decision, the Republican Johnson said, is based on his belief that members of Congress shouldn't have access to premium health care benefits when millions of Americans are struggling to make ends meet.

"Lincoln famously put forth the notion that government should be 'of the people, by the people and for the people,'" Johnson said. "This is one substantial way I can show that my commitment to the people of eastern and southern Ohio is to help them, not to gain exclusive benefits for myself."

In addition to declining Congressional health care, Johnson will turn down the government 401(k) program and the associated matching portion that is paid for by taxpayers.

http://www.news-register.net/page/content.detail/id/549605/Johnson-Rejects-Congress-Benefits.html?nav=515

Leaders must first lead by example.

stlrtruck
12-08-2010, 06:39 AM
This is pretty cool. A new rep from my neck of the woods is refusing congressional health-care benefits and the government 401(k) program.

Leaders must first lead by example.

Holy crap a honest politician. Where the freak did you guys find him? If he continues this, he could ruin what the corrupt have built up in DC!