PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com: Kapinos fit Steelers' criteria

stillers4me
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
Posted 51 minutes ago

a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kapinos-fit-Steelers-criteria/c3005410-a6ac-441a-9627-43cd07d916d1#)
a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kapinos-fit-Steelers-criteria/c3005410-a6ac-441a-9627-43cd07d916d1#)

Another pretty day in Pittsburgh it was. Cloudy, with a high near 25-degrees, with a westerly “breeze” at 14 miles-per-hour, with gusts as high as 25 miles-per-hour. Very nice if you’re a penguin or a polar bear. Not so much if you’re auditioning for a job as a punter.

Tuesdays seem to be the day the Steelers choose to audition kickers. They did it in 2002 when they found Jeff Reed, and they did it again several weeks ago when they found Reed’s replacement. This time it was for a punter.

Another Tuesday, another shopping day for the Steelers, because they needed someone to take the place of Daniel Sepulveda, who tore the ACL in his right knee for the third time since 2006 in the win over the Ravens in Baltimore last Sunday night...................

..............The things that may have been the difference for Kapinos were his age – at 26 he’s still at a time in his life where improvement is still a possibility – and in the fact he can handle kickoffs and hold for placements.

“We’ll determine that over the course of the week,” said Tomlin about whether Kapinos will hold for the Steelers. “Really, we’ll rely on the comfort level Shaun (Suisham) has in the candidates.”

And such is life for a kicker in the NFL. Two weeks ago, a bunch of players in the Steelers locker room didn’t know Suisham’s name, let alone how to pronounce it, but after clutch performances in Buffalo and in Baltimore, he gets to pick his own holder.

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kapinos-fit-Steelers-criteria/c3005410-a6ac-441a-9627-43cd07d916d1

Merchant
12-07-2010, 05:10 PM
If Kapinos can kick off well that'd be awesome. Sushi's kick-offs aren't much better than Reeds, if better at all.

Buckinnuts
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
i think Suishams kickoffs has alittle more hang time than reeds did

tube517
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Problem is, if El catches the snap, he will fair catch it before Sushishamwow can kick it.

“We have some holder candidates on our football team, some guys who have held in NFL games – Antwaan Randle El being one of them. So I wasn’t going to let holding be the determining factor in picking a punter.”

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
The things that may have been the difference for Kapinos were his age – at 26 he’s still at a time in his life where improvement is still a possibility – and in the fact he can handle kickoffs and hold for placements.

Interesting. It sounds to me like they're looking for someone who can be a permanent replacement for Sep if they're concerned about age.

I hope that Kapinos can kickoff. I'd love to see more touchbacks.

Shawn
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
It looks like Kapinos has kicked off in the past. Here is his stat sheet: http://www.nfl.com/players/jeremykapinos/careerstats?id=KAP235674

BigNastyDefense
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
If they are going with someone young....that could mean that Sep's career (as a Steeler at least) will be over at the end of his IR stint.

I honestly don't blame the Steelers. I think Sep is a very good punter, but three torn ACL's is a bit too much to make me think he will be reliable in the future.

Butch
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Wonder if James Harrison can hold on kicks or better yet maybe he can punt after all he was a backup long snapper at one time. Just sayin'

Devilsdancefloor
12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Wonder if James Harrison can hold on kicks or better yet maybe he can punt after all he was a backup long snapper at one time. Just sayin'

Just let James long snap it instead of kicking it. His hang time and distance would be amazing!

steelpride12
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Well right now our punt game cannot suffer so looking for this kid to come out against the Bungles and pin them in their 20 and to prove he is worth the signing. After watching how Ernster and Berger punted Im sure he will be a much needed upgrade...or so I hope.

steeldevil
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
If El can hold that would be great for potential fake plays out of the PAT/Field goal formation. Of course I would hope we never had to use them. Something to think about.

tube517
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
He'll get fined for holding the football too hard.

oneforthetoe
12-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Hmmmm ...... Kapinos's Ukranian/Polish Army? Hey that could catch on. Where is that number for the U.S. Patent Office?

Galax Steeler
12-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Hopefully this guy can punt half way decent and get us through this year.

pepsyman1
12-08-2010, 04:06 AM
6' 1", 233 lbs... that's pretty stout for a punter...lol Wonder if he can be like Sushi and do other things. Maybe he plays CB on the side...lol