PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Could Ignore OT Again in 2011 NFL Draft to Focus On Need and Value

stillers4me
12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Posted on December 7, 2010 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/steelers-ignore-ot-2011-nfl-draft-focus/) by ted (http://www.steelerslounge.com/author/ted/)

Pittsburgh is the only NFL franchise that has not drafted an offensive tackle prospect in the first two rounds in any NFL draft over the past decade (2001-10). Do not be shocked if that streak continues in the 2011 NFL Draft. In fact, the Steelers may ignore offensive tackle altogether in April.

The Steelers rarely reach for prospects that are further down its draft value board and teams picking later in the first round simply cannot draft an offensive tackle in any round in this era without reaching at some point due to the increasing premium placed on the position by all NFL franchises.

Moreover, the Steelers could easily enter its 2011 NFL training camp (assuming a new CBA is reached and there are training camps) with three quality, proven, starting offensive tackles on its roster in LT Max Starks, RT Willie Colon and Flozell Adams, who could still start on either side.

They also could have up to two more versatile offensive linemen with significant game experience at tackle in veterans Trai Essex and Jonathan Scott, as well as two more young tackle prospects who have been on Steeler regular-season rosters in third-year left tackle Tony Hills and rookie right tackle/guard Chris Scott.

That is a lot of options for a veteran, Super Bowl-contending team with more immediate needs at right guard, cornerback and potentially defensive end if often-injured veteran Aaron Smith opts to retire after the 2010 season..............

Read more: http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/steelers-ignore-ot-2011-nfl-draft-focus/

LLT
12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yikes...Starks is hardly "quality"...Adams is now 112 years old... Essex is "versatile" only in the fact that he sucks at both guard and tackle... and Scott makes me miss Starks...

I would say that OT is our #1 priority right now...with OG and CB both being positions of pressing need.

zulater
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Yikes...Starks is hardly "quality"...Adams is now 112 years old... Essex is "versatile" only in the fact that he sucks at both guard and tackle... and Scott makes me miss Starks...

I would say that OT is our #1 priority right now...with OG and CB both being positions of pressing need.

Personally with Colon and Starks coming back I see cb, and even safety as position's of much higher priority. Ike and Troy are the only two dependable cover guys we have, that's just not enough in todays NFL.

Merchant
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
D-Tackle is a big priority as well. Hampton and Hoke are getting up there in age. And considering it's going to take a couple of seasons for their eventual replacement to get comfortable in the system, we need to draft him NOW.

steeldevil
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Draft either a CB, NT, or Olineman in the first round and I'm happy. Anything else.... Well that would just be stupid unless there is not an appropriate CB, NT, or Olineman available when we pick.

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM

I agree.

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Essex is "versatile" only in the fact that he sucks at both guard and tackle...

:rofl2:

LLT
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Personally with Colon and Starks coming back I see cb, and even safety as position's of much higher priority. Ike and Troy are the only two dependable cover guys we have, that's just not enough in todays NFL.

There is still a big question mark on Starks. I havnt heard enough to make me comforatable in the fact that he can come back at full health....and even if he does, he is a sub-par LT. personally I would grab an LT first...then grab a CB. A good OG can usually be had in the 3rd or 4th rounds

Although your PREMIER safeties might go in the first round...starting safeties are found throughout the draft.

BigNastyDefense
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Tackle is going to be a difficult position to fill via the first round of the draft. We're going to be making the playoffs, so we're going to be towards the last then of the draft. It's not easy to trade up, especially when a team knows you're going after a premier offensive tackle, they will make you pay out of the nose.

So I am predicting we take a cornerback or a defensive lineman. Maybe a tackle in the second round.

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
To be honest, we've had the exact same needs every single year for the past 4 years. It's about time we use some substantially higher quality free agents to fill in some of those holes. We wont be able to fill them all with draft picks, especially not immediately. We dont need a lot of those premier free agents, just one or maybe two.

SMR
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Draft either a CB, NT, or Olineman in the first round and I'm happy. Anything else.... Well that would just be stupid unless there is not an appropriate CB, NT, or Olineman available when we pick.

I'm with ya.

Texasteel
12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I can see us drafting an OT in the first 2 rounds, and a guard in the first 4. If we don't it's likely that next year we will be talking about a line that can't block and can't protect all over again. This line has not been good for a very long time. Even in our SB year the line was sub par till we got into the playoffs.

Godfather
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
We have a glaring, immediate need at CB.

We also have medium-term needs at all three DL positions and both safety positions.

We can hold the OL together with bubble gum and string for another year, but we have to load up on those other positions.

Chidi29
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
BPA, my friends. Reach and it'll cost you.

ALLD
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
The key is to get some massive OL to protect our best offensive player. Then go for CB and then DE. Our LBing crew is the best in the league with killer instinct and depth which will prioritize things on defense.

HollywoodSteel
12-07-2010, 08:50 PM
BPA, my friends. Reach and it'll cost you.

I agree with this for the most part, but I think we'll limit the BPA to O-line, Dline and corner. The only other possibility is if Ward retires, in which case receiver has to be on the table. But I think receiver an easier position to fill via free agency than our other needs, and if Ward goes we'll probably want a veteran to replace him rather than a rookie.

Did I ever mention I miss Holmes?

steelpride12
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I think of course the OL is the concern in the draft, but has been for many years so not getting my hopes up. I like Colon if he can stay healthy he is an excellent T. Starks ehh not that great so I think the main concern for the OL is the guard position and snipered in at the RG. CB is a must, besides Taylor we are weak and need quality depth. Then you look at the DLine which is aging and old and although they are excellent the injuries kill them each season and we need depth.

Godfather
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
The only other possibility is if Ward retires, in which case receiver has to be on the table.

We'll be just fine with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders.

steelerdude15
12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
We need to draft an offensive tackle or guard in the first round. That should be our top priority in the 2011 draft.

Merchant
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
We'll be just fine with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders.

Don't forget Sweed.