PDA

View Full Version : Steelers stories

Wallace108
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since there's not a lot of Steelers news right now :noidea:

During SF's D-Day, I started this same thread over at Planet, and it got some good responses. While we all share the same love for the Steelers, we all have our own personal stories as fans. Whether interesting, funny, or touching, let's hear them. Here's one of mine (apologies to those who already suffered through it at PS):

My wife, whom I've been married to for 16 years, always hated football. I tried and tried to get her to watch games with me, but the only game she ever watched was the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl ... and that was only because we were with friends whose wives are Steelers fans, so she had no choice.

Then three summers ago, she told me she wanted a new winter coat. I jokingly told her I'd only buy her a Steelers coat. And to my utter shock, she said OK. http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/woot222.gif

After wearing the coat to work that winter, some of her co-workers, who are Browns fans, starting giving her grief. She asked me to give her some things she could say to burn them. And that was the beginning of her Steelers education. :tt03:

Then one Sunday two seasons ago, she wandered into my Steelers room at the beginning of a game with a bowl of popcorn and a Smirnoff ... she sat down and watched the game. And she didn't just watch ... she CHEERED. :cheer2:
After years of trying unsuccessfully to get her to take an interest in the Steelers, Browns fans accomplished it for me.

During the final game of the regular season, we all witnessed Lendale White and the Terrible Towel incident. I took this opportunity to educate her about the Terrible Towel curse. She thought I was a lunatic. :der:

But after the Titans got knocked out in their first game and the Steelers went on to the Super Bowl, I thought she understood the power of the Towel. :tt02:

Then on Super Bowl Sunday, she comes home from the store with ... Steelers POM POMS. http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/142.gif
I explained to her that we don't have cheerleaders. WE are the cheerleaders. And we wave the Terrible Towel, not pom poms. She told me if I wanted to live to watch the game, I'd better hang them somewhere in our Steelers room. http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/owned.gif

So as I was hanging the pom poms up next to my collection of Steelers hats, I looked at my teenage son and said, "I've got a bad feeling these pom poms are going to cost us the game!" He, too, thought I was a lunatic. :frusty:

Flashforward to the end of the game ... the Cardinals are driving. I'm screaming for our defense to stop them. I knew what needed to be done ... I tossed the Terrible Towel to my wife and said, "WAVE IT!!"

And then it happened ...

She dropped the Towel on the ground, went over and grabbed the pom poms, and started waving them. As God as my witness, the very next play Fitzgerald splits the Steelers D for the go-ahead touchdown. :doh:

I stood up, looked at my son, and yelled, "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? I KNEW THOSE D@MN POP POMS WERE GOING TO COST US THE GAME!!!" I walked over to her, grabbed the pom poms out of her hands and threw them in the trash. I knew the game was over, so I went outside to sulk alone for a few minutes. When I came back in, the Steelers were driving. My despair was turning to hope. I saw the Towel laying on the floor, picked it up, and told her to WAVE IT!! She did. And a few plays later, we know what happened. :dance:

Now I have a wife who loves watching games with me and who fully understands the power of the Terrible Towel and what happens to those who disrespect it. :tt02:

My next mission is to convince her that Baywatch was the greatest TV show ever ...
http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/boobs.gif

siss
06-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I also posted this at Steeler Planet. But its worth repeating and any time I can brag about my precious baby boy I am happy to do so.

My hubby and I have a tradition. During half time of Steelers we ummmm...get busy...because its good luck...(I better get some sort of cool chick label for confessing that to a bunch of men). Well in one of those games during Dec 2008 we produced a child. In early 2009 during the Chargers game I was so tired I fell asleep and missed the last half of the Steelers beating the chargers. I knew something was up, because I usually can't sleep after a Steelers win. So I took a pregnancy test a week later and lo and behold it was positive later that day the steelers won the AFC championship game. Two weeks later I was sick as a dog with morning sickness, when the game started I was fine and that was when I knew I was having a boy (we didn't know the sex until he was born). Plus we had just made the announcement to my parents. So from now on super bowl 43 will always remind me of my early pregnancy.

Now here is where things get weird.
So then April rolls around and the NFL schedule comes out. My due date was Sept 21, which was the day the Steelers were to play the Bears. My husband is a Bears fan (they are his NFC team) and we were going to go to the Steelers/Bears game in soldier field that year. We joked that instead we would be in labor and delivery.

The first time my son kicked was when i was watching a replay of a steelers game on the NFL network.

Well Sept comes around and we are preparing for the little bundle of joy and the NFL season. I go to my normal appointment and the doc says your going to labor and delivery. This was tuesday before the season started. Wednesday night I was induced and Thursday morning, sept 10th, I delivered a happy healthy baby boy that was 7LBS and 7 ounces and 17 inches long. That night in the recovery room, me and my husband and our precious little baby boy watched the Steelers beat the Dolphins.

Now tell me this, is my son destined to be a steeler or what?

solardave
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Those are both great stories. Siss, did you get your son a birth certificate and a terrible towel. (Then he has no choice but to be a Steeler fan. It'll be in his blood.
My story is that I had never been to a game at Hines field. The Steelers make it to the AFCG in 08-09. My brother calls me up and says he has 2 tickets on the 50. He wants me to go. In a moment of insanity (actually I was laid-off and money was tight) I told him I'd have to talk to my wife and call him back. When I hung up she looks at me and says "You're going-RIGHT?" She told me if I didn't go she was going to kick my ass clear up around my shoulders. Needless to say it was the best game of my life. Between the two of us we have been fans for 80 years total but you would have thought we were little kids. With the exception of watching both my daughter and son being born it was one of the best days of my life. When Troy intercepted the pass and took it to the house I never saw so many grown men (all strangers) hugging.

Wallace108
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
siss, that story still rocks!! :thumbsup:

solardave, great story. There's nothing like being at a game surrounded by thousands of Steelers fans.

steeldevil
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Heres a story for ya. My dad, brother and myself have never been to a Steelers game. I told my dad last year that for christmas and my birthday all I wanted was for us 3 to go to our first game together. I chose the Dec, 20 game against the Packers. So we made our hotel plans and everything to see the city over the weekend before the game. To make a long story short, we underestimated the weather. We started driving from Elkin, Nc on friday at like 3. It was at around 5 in northern Va that we hit a wall. Traffic on Interstate 77 completely stopped. We did not move an inch for 13 hours. It was a massive winter storm that cover the whole east coast with over a foot of snow. We could not believe it. Saturday morning at like 6am we were able to move slowly into WV and got off an exit for my dad to rest. It was there that we decided to turn around. We made it home safely thank God. But as you know, the game we missed was arguably the best regular season game ever at Heinz Field. That was supposed to be my first game, and I was supposed to share it with my dad and brother as well. Stolen by mother nature...

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Good stories. Best 1 I can think of was going to a few games with my dad and uncle back in the '70's. My favorites were 79 AFC Championship game over the Oilers, and the week before the beat down on the Broncos. Well, mostly during the game versus the Broncos, fans in front of uis were throwing oranges at the Broncos. (The Orange Crush is what they called there Defense back then) Then this guy was getting all over Rick Upchurch, and there famous Safety at the time, I think his name was Foley, flipped the guys the bird! I laughed! But that is about it. I'm not much of a story teller.

Vincent
06-21-2010, 11:18 PM
As God as my witness, the very next play Fitzgerald splits the Steelers D for the go-ahead touchdown.

I was wondering what the hell happened on that play.

Wallace108
06-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Heres a story for ya. My dad, brother and myself have never been to a Steelers game. I told my dad last year that for christmas and my birthday all I wanted was for us 3 to go to our first game together. I chose the Dec, 20 game against the Packers. So we made our hotel plans and everything to see the city over the weekend before the game. To make a long story short, we underestimated the weather. We started driving from Elkin, Nc on friday at like 3. It was at around 5 in northern Va that we hit a wall. Traffic on Interstate 77 completely stopped. We did not move an inch for 13 hours. It was a massive winter storm that cover the whole east coast with over a foot of snow. We could not believe it. Saturday morning at like 6am we were able to move slowly into WV and got off an exit for my dad to rest. It was there that we decided to turn around. We made it home safely thank God. But as you know, the game we missed was arguably the best regular season game ever at Heinz Field. That was supposed to be my first game, and I was supposed to share it with my dad and brother as well. Stolen by mother nature...

Wow, sorry to hear that steeldevil. The important thing is everyone was safe, and I'm sure you'll get another opportunity.

Good stories. Best 1 I can think of was going to a few games with my dad and uncle back in the '70's. My favorites were 79 AFC Championship game over the Oilers, and the week before the beat down on the Broncos. Well, mostly during the game versus the Broncos, fans in front of uis were throwing oranges at the Broncos. (The Orange Crush is what they called there Defense back then) Then this guy was getting all over Rick Upchurch, and there famous Safety at the time, I think his name was Foley, flipped the guys the bird! I laughed! But that is about it. I'm not much of a story teller.

Going to a game with family ... it doesn't get any better than that.

I was wondering what the hell happened on that play.

And now you know. :nod:

solardave
06-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by steeldevil
Heres a story for ya. My dad, brother and myself have never been to a Steelers game. I told my dad last year that for christmas and my birthday all I wanted was for us 3 to go to our first game together. I chose the Dec, 20 game against the Packers. So we made our hotel plans and everything to see the city over the weekend before the game. To make a long story short, we underestimated the weather. We started driving from Elkin, Nc on friday at like 3. It was at around 5 in northern Va that we hit a wall. Traffic on Interstate 77 completely stopped. We did not move an inch for 13 hours. It was a massive winter storm that cover the whole east coast with over a foot of snow. We could not believe it. Saturday morning at like 6am we were able to move slowly into WV and got off an exit for my dad to rest. It was there that we decided to turn around. We made it home safely thank God. But as you know, the game we missed was arguably the best regular season game ever at Heinz Field. That was supposed to be my first game, and I was supposed to share it with my dad and brother as well. Stolen by mother nature... Man I'm soory you didn't make that game. At least you were with your Dad and Brother on your way to making a great memory. You'll look back later on and know it was a valiant effort!!!

solardave
06-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Here's one from awhile back. I was living in Tampa. My boss had season passes to the Bucs that he gave away every Home Sunday to the top producer.The Steelers were up next so I busted my butt and got the tickets. so I'm at the game in all my Steeler uniform and talking to the Bucs fan next to me I'm telling him that I've become a fan of the Bucs just not that day. The Steelers kick off and the very first play from scrimmage Testaverde hits Kevin House on a skinny post and he takes it 80 yards for a TD. I turned to the Bucs fan next to me and said (joking) that I wish they made reversable jerseys. One side Steelers and one side Bucs. We went on to win 40-7.The Bucs fans started leaving in the 3rd quarter. There was already about 10,000+ Steelers fans. It got so bad(for the Bucs) that Testaverde had to call a timeout in his own endzone because our fans were so loud.

Wallace108
09-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm reviving this old thread for 3 reasons:

1. Since there's been a lot of talk the past few days about the curse of the Terrible Towel, I think I prove at the end of my first post in this thread that the Towel has unquestionable powers. :tt03:
2. You can never get enough of Siss's halftime story. :bananadoggywow:
3. I felt like it. :noidea: