PDA

View Full Version : A quick blog I read today. Interesting stats...

The WH
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
A certain fat, loudmouth, Pittsburgh sports talking head wrote this on his blog today.

His game log is caked with disappointing days, most recently one catch for 13 yards at Baltimore. He has just 41 grabs this season, just 43.6 receiving yards per game. This from a man who had 81 receptions last year, 95 the year before.

Are Hines Ward's days as an effective starting receiver coming to a close?

Ward is 34. He's played 13 NFL seasons employing a style that borders on suicidal. It would be a miracle if his body wasn't breaking down.

Lately, we see drops. Lately, Ward just doesn't get open as often. He's not the Steelers' go-to receiver anymore.

That's no indictment. No insult. Ward has had a glorious career. He will be remembered as one of the Steelers' all-time greats and will almost certainly make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

But how does this play out?

I've long predicted Ward will not end good in Pittsburgh. He could probably add a few years to his career by becoming a No. 3 receiver, the slot guy. But it seems quite unlikely that Ward's massive ego would ever allow that.

Ward will insist on starting, and make a fuss if he does not. Jerome Bettis did the same. How will the Steelers deal with it? How will the Steelers handle the downhill slide of one of their most inspirational players ever?

The best way this could end is for Pittsburgh to win the Superbowl so Hines can retire Bettis style. Hines said himself that if he won another Superbowl heīd retire. I donīt want him to, as he is my favorite Steelers player of all time. But, every can of beans has its expiration date. I just hope if he does leave, itīll be on good terms.

GodfatherofSoul
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Never thought of Ward as an ego guy. Never met him, though. I remember one blogger posted that he came up to him for an autograph while he was carrying food. Ward simply said "hold this" and signed it for him. Not exactly good etiquette on the part of the fan, but most I've heard of him has been like that.

ALLD
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
A made up running of the mouth story. This might be Ward's last season regardless.

The WH
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Never thought of Ward as an ego guy. Never met him, though. I remember one blogger posted that he came up to him for an autograph while he was carrying food. Ward simply said "hold this" and signed it for him. Not exactly good etiquette on the part of the fan, but most I've heard of him has been like that.
Dudeīs blood sugar was probably low.

Count Steeler
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Ward does not strike me as arrogant or proud. I find it highly unlikely that he would not take a reduced role. I think he can easily become the WR coach when he retires. He already takes the young ones under his wing and shows them the ropes. Ward strikes me as a class individual, no Brady bones in his body.