PDA

View Full Version : Jared Gaither

LLT
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm not a big "he would look good in Black n' Gold" guy....but I was wondering...Would the nation be interested in Gaither if it would cost us a 2nd rounder next year? I know that he was tendered at the first-round level in March...but rumors are that they would take a 2nd for him and that the Bills are very interested.

I'm torn with this young guy. He seems to have the talent to be a legit starting left tackle but sometimes takes plays off. That being said..I think he may actually be a better LT than Starks if he was motivated.

What do you think?

Chidi29
06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Not really. Max is too expensive to leave on the bench and I'd hate to bench Colon with the way he is playing.

Our tackle situation is a lot better than people give it credit for. The interior of the line is where you'll find trouble.

solardave
06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
IM O it wouldn't take much to improve on Starks. He's to slow. Speed rushers get right by him.

LLT
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Not really. Max is too expensive to leave on the bench and I'd hate to bench Colon with the way he is playing.

Our tackle situation is a lot better than people give it credit for. The interior of the line is where you'll find trouble.

I think that Pouncey will do a great deal to help the interior...I see so little depth at OT that it scares me.

Steelerchad
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Gaither would be great for a 3rd tackle. If he beats one of the starters out so be it. If he doesn't he could replace either side if (when) an injury happens. The Steelers won't do it and I don't blame them. We could have had him for a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft 3 years ago which I wanted to do at the time.

LLT
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I think Gaither would be great for a 3rd tackle. If he beats one of the starters out so be it. If he doesn't he could replace either side if (when) an injury happens. The Steelers won't do it and I don't blame them. We could have had him for a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft 3 years ago which I wanted to do at the time.

Me too. I still think I might be tempted to pull the trigger on a 2nd round trade, and I do think that he would be a starter for us at some point.

Chidi29
06-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I think that Pouncey will do a great deal to help the interior...I see so little depth at OT that it scares me.

I agree but coming into the offseason, the interior was a much more pressing issue. Which is why we addressed it in the draft.

I'm all for depth, but you'd be crazy to acquire that by giving up a second rounder that will result either putting a $20 million tackle or your best lineman last year on the bench.

steelpride12
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I think our line is much improved and as Chidi said with the interior being the problem I don't think he is needed for this team. Yes young and impressive, but Starks just got a nice pay raise and taking a chance on Gaither and giving up a second round pick too risky.

Psycho Ward 86
06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
We already signed Max long term so i think were going to settle with his inconsistent crap for awhile.

Devilsdancefloor
06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
id hate to gie a 2nd rounder to the ratbirds. maybe they will end up cutting him and we can pick him up that way (i can dream a bit cant i)

Psycho Ward 86
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
id hate to gie a 2nd rounder to the ratbirds. maybe they will end up cutting him and we can pick him up that way (i can dream a bit cant i)

another good point. I think we all know by now that Ozzie Newsome turns early round picks into All-Pro's.....that's bad news for us

LLT
06-07-2010, 07:34 AM

I think there is a 90% chance that he ends up with the Bills....they might have the weakest OT corp in the NFL.

MULLDOG24
06-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't mind getting Gaither for a second and this is why IMHO. we could have Starks and Gaither at RT and LT tackle, then move Colon to G (his natural position IMHO). Pouncey and Colon will help shore up the interior while Starks and Gaither gives us 2 good Tackles. I think this improves our line all around and will give us a line that should be able to create a push when we need it. As long as we are dreaming anyway:thumbsup: What ya think about this scenario Folks?