PDA

View Full Version : How Big Ben's beak gets a fix

stillers4me
12-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Tuesday, December 07, 2010
By Mark Roth, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A broken nose isn't pretty, and there's no pretty way to describe how to fix one.
So if you really care about what happened to Ben Roethlisberger's schnoz, brace yourself.

At 12:19 of the first quarter of the Steelers' Sunday night game with the Baltimore Ravens, defensive lineman Haloti Ngata swiped his huge left hand through the opening of Mr. Roethlisberger's helmet and fractured his nose.

Mr. Ngata on Monday was fined $15,000 by the NFL for the hit on Mr. Roethlisberger. The hit did not result in a penalty during the game.

From the video replay, it looks as if the blow pushed the quarterback's nose bones to the right and correspondingly displaced his septum -- the cartilage just below it -- toward the left.

Mr. Roethlisberger underwent surgery Monday, although Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett would not confirm that, saying all news would wait until coach Mike Tomlin's news conference today.

The operation was almost certainly what plastic surgeons call a "closed reduction."
In that procedure, the patient is given local anesthetic and a sedative, and the surgeon then puts an instrument called an elevator, shaped like a thick bread knife, up one of his nostrils and behind the twin bones at the top of the nose. Using the elevator as a fulcrum, the surgeon uses his gloved hand to push the nose bones back into position...................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341/1108875-66.stm

HometownGal
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM
This is exactly why I feel Ngata should have been given a much higher fine. I know all too well from having nasal and septum surgery that it is an extremely intricate procedure and an even more painful recovery. :horror: Your whole face hurts like someone smashed it with a 2 x 4.

Ben has proven himself to be one tough mofo and hopefully he came through the surgery fine and will be ready to rock 'n roll come Sunday afternoon. :pray:

We love ya Big Ben!

melblount
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I had surgery for a broken nose too and had to sleep elevated for about 10 days. I couldn't even look down to tie my shoes (because of the sinus pressure) for about a week. Doctor said I couldn't work out for two months due to the possibility of hemorrhaging.

I hope this puts an end to that ridiculous "drama queen" label once and for all. Ben is (and always was) one tough SOB.

SteelMember
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
The fact that Ben's nose was injured so easily should be of no surprise to Steelers fans. I mean, he did have some pretty major reconstruction done when he face planted into that windshield. Besides all the plates and screws in his face, I'm sure there wasn't much left of his original nose after that accident.

The Frankenberger is a tough SOB, but he must now admit he has a "hockey nose", and will not be able to fix it right until he finally retires. No use wasting good surgery on something that can get re-injured so easily.

Mach1
12-07-2010, 11:06 AM
He needs to put one of those windshields in his helmet.

7SteelGal43
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
and the surgeon then puts an instrument called an elevator, shaped like a thick bread knife, up one of his nostrils and behind the twin bones at the top of the nose. Using the elevator as a fulcrum, the surgeon uses his gloved hand to push the nose bones back into position...................

:faint:

43Hitman
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM

:faint:

lol that right where I stopped reading as well.