PDA

View Full Version : Boise vs. Utah bowl game - pisses me off

steelreserve
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I hate how they keep doing this. Every year, teams like Boise and TCU (and Utah, for that matter) don't get a shot at the title because they get hosed on strength of schedule. "How do we know if they're really any good? Who did they play?" people are asking.

Now, here comes the one chance per year to measure a couple of these WAC or MWC teams against the "real" power schools, and what do they do? They have them play each other instead, thereby proving nothing and perpetuating the stereotype for another year?

Last year, Boise and TCU both go undefeated, and they play each other in the bowl game. This year, Boise plays Utah, and Nevada (who's ranked 15th and went 11-1) plays a shitty five-loss unranked ACC team. Does anyone else see this as the ultimate cop-out because the big conferences are such big pussies that they're afraid of getting shown up by the "outsiders?" I sure do.

Really, would it be too much to ask to have a couple of games like, say, Boise-LSU, or Nevada-Michigan State? People would be somewhat interested in that, because it would actually prove something. I don't think anyone really gives a shit whether LSU beats Texas A&M, or Alabama beats Michigan State. Woo-hoo, the third-place team from our big conference beat the fourth-place team from your big conference; now we have some kind of marginal bragging rights that don't mean shit.

Come on. If you can't come up with a playoff system - which is not rocket science - you need to do better than this.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The bowls are about making money. Neither school will bring the eyeballs the Big Conference Schools will. Schools like PSU and ND could go 6-6 and they'd still get picked for bowls.

7SteelGal43
12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
See, that's why I think the BCS is crap ! They need a freakin playoff system.

steelreserve
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
The bowls are about making money. Neither school will bring the eyeballs the Big Conference Schools will. Schools like PSU and ND could go 6-6 and they'd still get picked for bowls.

See, that's where I think they have their heads up their asses. Nobody's going to be that interested in Boise playing Utah other than their own fans. Similarly, I don't think many people are going to be interested in LSU playing Texas A&M outside of their own fans, because there's nothing to play for except third-place pseudo-bragging rights.

On the other hand, if you have Boise play LSU, not only do you get the schools' own fan bases (which will watch regardless of the opponent), but you'll also get people who are interested in watching to see if the Boises and Utahs of the world are "for real."

This strikes me as less about money than about a puss-out by the big conferences who don't want to take the chance of being exposed as less dominant than they really are. And an equal puss-out by the BCS, not wanting to be exposed as having no clue in hell about how to measure one team against another -- as if we didn't already know that was the case. Totally weak move all around.

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Want to be angry...Look at how Fcked Nebraska got. Or try to explain to Stanford why they have to go to the Orange Bowl all the way across the country, when Uconn is going across the country to the Fiesta. Stanford vs OU and Uconn vs Va Tech are clearly the more legit, and make more sense matchups.

TCU is playing Wisconsin, that's a Legit Matchup. Boise State would have most likely matched up with OSU in the Sugar had they run the table. They'd have taken the SEC #2 Slot from Arkansas.

LSU vs Texas A&M should be LSU vs Nebraska. Get me two big time programs together, instead I get the Freaking LSU vs TA&M Matchup that means crap for bragging rights.

Nevada vs Mich State would have been a more interesting game for Nevada, especially with the Big 10 President busting out his "little sisters of the poor" comment. That is another reason the TCU vs Wisconsin game will have a lot of eyes. But Mich State vs Alabama is a SOLID Matchup.

Florida vs PennState is a SOLID Matchup.
South Carolina vs Florida State, SOLID
Missouri vs Iowa is Great for Iowa but Missouri got hosed on the deal playing a 7-5 Big 10 team.
OK State vs Arizona is a GREAT Matchup.
Notre Dame vs Miami is basically the old school Saints vs Sinners matchup from the 80s/90s where the two teams were banned from playing on another. Interesting to see how the game goes. Won't be great, but interesting.
Miss State vs Michigan is a GREAT Matchup.
Stanford vs Va Tech is still a GREAT Matchup.
Ohio State vs Arkansas is a FANTASTIC Matchup

And the BCS did its job and gave us
#1 13-0 Auburn vs #2 12-0 Oregon in the Title Game. First time in BCS History its an SEC Team vs a Pac 10 Team.

BPS3akaWirels3
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Look at Pitt... 5 losses and still a bowl.. It's a bowl even if it's the second lowest payout of bowls.. Why should a team get a bowl with 5 loses??

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Look at Pitt... 5 losses and still a bowl.. It's a bowl even if it's the second lowest payout of bowls.. Why should a team get a bowl with 5 loses??

I know right, I mean, look at PSU, 5 Losses and they still get to go to a bowl? why is that? I mean, 5 losses? Why should a team get a bowl with 5 Losses?

steelreserve
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
And the BCS did its job and gave us
#1 13-0 Auburn vs #2 12-0 Oregon in the Title Game. First time in BCS History its an SEC Team vs a Pac 10 Team.

I don't think the BCS did its job at all. It gave us two gimmick teams in the title game, which I am not interested in at all.

Plus, if it's about being "proven" against quality opponents, TCU got completely hosed in favor of Oregon. You want to talk strength of schedule, Oregon only beat (or even played) ONE ranked team all season -- and that was Stanford, who beat zero ranked teams. The Pac-10 was EXCEPTIONALLY bad this year, and I fully expect both Oregon and Stanford to get crushed. Yet somehow, despite starting out ranked higher and winning every game, TCU gets jumped. Explain how that works.

Oregon is also a total system team that realistically should have gotten its ass handed to it two or three times if it played anywhere besides the Pac-10, and yes, I would include the WAC and MWC in that. You might have noticed that toward the end of the season, they stopped blowing out so many teams by 40 points because people were beginning to catch on. It's just too bad they didn't have anyone except the Little Sisters of the Poor left on the schedule.

Bottom line, Oregon does not belong in the title game, and the BCS got it flat-out wrong. This is coming from a Pac-10 fan. The conference is abysmal, and going on anything other than won/lost record -- which apparently IS fair game according to the BCS -- its debatable to me whether the Ducks are even one of the 10 best teams in the country.