PDA

View Full Version : Which team gets hurt worse by a loss tomorrow?

Crow-Magnon
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Ravens and Steelers are both 8-3. The Ravens are 1-0 against the Steelers at this point, so a win tomorrow would be a sweep. A loss would even them up at 1-1 in head-to-head competition.

However, the Ravens have lost to Atlanta (Steelers win) and the Bengals (Steelers win). Next up for Pittsburgh is Cincinnati (possible sweep), the Jets (Baltimore win), the Panthers (Baltimore win) and Cleveland (Baltimore 1-0). The Ravens will play Houston, the Saints (tough game), Cleveland and Cincinnati.

I can see the Ravens beating the Texans, Browns and Bengals, and possibly losing to New Orleans, and the Steelers beating all four teams, with a close game against the Jets. So in my mind, this game is much more important for Baltimore as far as a division title is concerned.

What say you?

stlrtruck
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice write up CM. The loss is going to hurt both teams. In the simple fact that the loser now has to fight for a playoff spot, knowing that the AFC West has all their teams gathered together and a loss puts the AFC North second place team one game ahead of them. It would make the remaining games important to win (against AFC teams to hold the tie-breaker).

A win puts the team up one game and I think the Steelers after Sunday night might have the easier schedule with the toughest game being against the jets. However, a loss to them would put us back even with the ratbirds, meaning we would need to sweep the bungals to hold the tie-breaker over the ratbirds.

Looking at the schedule I can see the ravens going 2-2 (with Houston possibly playing upset), but most likely 3-1 (loss to the Saints). I see the Steelers possibly doing the same thing with the jets being the hardest competition but it's at home. Then making the game against the bungals more important. What stinks for the Steelers is the game against the bungals is the following week after such a hard game against the ravens.

But to answer your question, a loss would probably hurt the ravens more considering their record against common opponents and also considering their remaining schedule. Either way, the loser of this game is going to be hoping for some favors in other games to help secure a playoff spot.

X-Terminator
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
It's much more important to the Steelers, because if they lose, the Ravens are essentially 2 games up. The Steelers would have to win out and the Ravens split their final 4 games to win the division - if they end up tied, the Ravens win the division based on head-to-head. I don't see the Ravens splitting those games. If the Ravens lose, they can still win the division if they win at least 3 of 4, beating both Cincinnati and Cleveland, and the Steelers lose to either Cincinnati or Cleveland (Steelers would be 4-2 in the division, the Ravens 5-1, giving the Ravens the division title in a tie). So IMO it's a must-win game for the Steelers if they want their best shot at a division title.

steeldevil
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Obviously the Steelers. If we lose we will have almost no shot at winning the division. Even if we win the last 4 games, we would need the Ravens to lose 2 of their last 4 to win the division. If we lose 1 of our last 4 games (probable) we would need them to lose 3 of their last 4... Not happening. So if the Steelers want to win this division they better win this game and then only lose 1 of the last 4.

HometownGal
12-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I think a loss by the Steelers tomorrow hurts them worse as the Rats would then have a 2-0 head-to-head over them. Tomorrow is a MUST WIN for our boys in the black 'n gold.

btw - Nice analogy there Crow. Here's to a battle in the trenches tomorrow and no injuries. :drink:

BigNastyDefense
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
The Steelers get hurt the worse by a loss tomorrow.

This is a de facto AFC North Championship Game. If the Ravens win this game, they will hold the head-to-head tiebreaker and would win the AFC North if we tie with them at the end of the season record wise.

So then we would be competing with the Patriots/Jets, Chargers/Chiefs, Colts/Jaguars for one of two Wild Card spots....with the Patriots/Jets being guaranteed one of the two. So we'd basically be competing for one spot.

Also, the Steelers offensive line is playing very poorly. We're down to a backup left tackle and it doesn't matter who we plug in at right guard because IMHO neither option is all that good. We still have to play the Jets, and don't forget the Browns beat us last year and could possibly do it again this year, leaving is at 10-6 if we lose tomorrow, to the Jets, and to the Browns (God forbid).

So we need to win this game. This is a must win.

steelers7810
12-04-2010, 06:50 PM
The steelers by far.

Count Steeler
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
The Steelers have to win. Not only for the standings, but for the psyche of the team. If we lose tomorrow night, there is a good chance we miss the playoffs because the team will start losing confidence and feel a let down, because the division will be next to impossible to win. Tomlin has to rally the troops and play 60 minutes of Steelers football. O, D and ST got to have their game faces on early.

Craic
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM
The Browns.

Because regardless of who wins or loses... Brown's fans have to realize once again that December divisional wins and losses has no affect on their season.

Insignificance sucks.

7willBheaven
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Steelers. If only they could have held off the Ravens in week 4 this wouldnt be as big of an issue.

fansince'76
12-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Steelers. If only they could have held off the Ravens in week 4 this wouldnt be as big of an issue.

I gotta wonder if Suisham would've made the 2 FGs Reed missed in that game that would have had us ahead by a 20-10 score as opposed to 14-10 with a minute left.... :doh:

SirHulka
12-05-2010, 01:59 AM
The Browns.

Because regardless of who wins or loses... Brown's fans have to realize once again that December divisional wins and losses has no affect on their season.

Insignificance sucks.

Your loss last year to a insignificant 1-11 team cost you the playoffs.

Crow-Magnon
12-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I think a loss by the Steelers tomorrow hurts them worse as the Rats would then have a 2-0 head-to-head over them. Tomorrow is a MUST WIN for our boys in the black 'n gold.

btw - Nice analogy there Crow. Here's to a battle in the trenches tomorrow and no injuries. :drink:

No injuries.

Somehow I just can't see that. I hope so, too, but I think the hitting in this game is going to be head and shoulders (sorry, Troy) above the game in Week 4.

I will say this: the NFL did do something right by scheduling this contest for SNF. It really is the Game of the Week. Maybe of the season!

Texasteel
12-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Good to see you Crow. I have to say a win here may lock this thing up for the Ravens, and a Steeler win would put them in the drivers set. I think this is just as important to both teams which will make this a hell of a game. I will have my bottle of Tums close by.

I'm just a little afraid that both defenses are going to be looking for a flag after every play. Neither on of these teams play GODell ball. This game could set a new record for penalties.

Crow-Magnon
12-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Good to see you Crow. I have to say a win here may lock this thing up for the Ravens, and a Steeler win would put them in the drivers set. I think this is just as important to both teams which will make this a hell of a game. I will have my bottle of Tums close by.

I'm just a little afraid that both defenses are going to be looking for a flag after every play. Neither on of these teams play GODell ball. This game could set a new record for penalties.

It might. Then again, the refs may be hesitant to throw flags willy-nilly when they know there are two hard-hitting teams on the field vying for a possible division title. You just can't tell this year.

My suggestion: "Ravens and Steelers- don't lead with the helmet! Just rip it off and start duking it out! It's less money!"

steeldevil
12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
No injuries.

Somehow I just can't see that. I hope so, too, but I think the hitting in this game is going to be head and shoulders (sorry, Troy) above the game in Week 4.

I will say this: the NFL did do something right by scheduling this contest for SNF. It really is the Game of the Week. Maybe of the season!

:chuckle:
Good one!

stlrtruck
12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
It might. Then again, the refs may be hesitant to throw flags willy-nilly when they know there are two hard-hitting teams on the field vying for a possible division title. You just can't tell this year.

My suggestion: "Ravens and Steelers- don't lead with the helmet! Just rip it off and start duking it out! It's less money!"

Last man standing match! Good way to decide the outcome of the division!

TroysBarber
12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I think a loss hurts both teams equally. As previously stated, a Steeler loss puts the Ravens up 1 in the standings, with the tiebreaker (head to head competition). This is essentially a 2 game lead. If the Steelers win, it puts us up 1 game with the tiebreaker (division record). This would essentially be a 2 game lead. IMO the winner of this game takes the division, a 1st round bye, and home field WHEN we meet again in either the divisional round of AFCCG.

7willBheaven
12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I gotta wonder if Suisham would've made the 2 FGs Reed missed in that game that would have had us ahead by a 20-10 score as opposed to 14-10 with a minute left.... :doh:

Exactly. Shoot even ONE of those FG's would have helped, haha. I mean of course there are other things that could have happened to help them win/etc...but still.

Moose
12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I have to agree with the majority here too. It is definitely ( in my opinion) a MUST win for the Steeler's. If we win at Baltimore we then control our own destiny....a loss at the ratbirds we will then have to win out and HOPE that someone else helps us. Although I do think our division will get the 'wild card' which will give us and/or the rats another chance for the play-offs.

JayC
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
obviously us, we lose and we can kiss the division goodbye and are back in the wildcard chase. ravens lose and they can still win the division.

TroysBarber
12-05-2010, 01:53 PM
obviously us, we lose and we can kiss the division goodbye and are back in the wildcard chase. ravens lose and they can still win the division.

How do the Ravens win the division if they lose? Steelers would be 1 game up with the tiebreaker advantage. A Ravens loss makes them as unlikely to win the division as a Steeler loss makes it unlikely for us to win the division

Edman
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
The Ravens have more to to win (and lose) in this game.

For weeks they have held a tiebreaker over Pittsburgh, a loss tonight is losing two games at once. They not only lose a share for a division lead, but Pittsburgh gets a tiebreaker over them (Better Division Record BAL's 2-2 to PIT's 3-1). That loss to Cincy earlier this year is biting them in the ass.

The loser of this game still has a hold on the 6th Seed. A two game lead over the bubble teams with four games to go. Pretty much, the winner tonight wins the North.

The Steelers have the opportunity right in front of them. Win tonight and beat Cincy, they're really in the drivers seat.

X-Terminator
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I was incorrect in my previous post about what happens if the Ravens lose. The Ravens could still win the division with a loss tonight if they:

- Win 3 of 4 while beating both Cincinnati and Cleveland, AND
- The Steelers split their final 4 games while losing to both Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Both teams would finish 11-5 and the Ravens win the division record tiebreaker (4-2 vs 3-3)

OR

-- Win all 4 games, AND
-- The Steelers split final 4 games

Ravens win the division based on the better record (12-4 vs 11-5)

stlrtruck
12-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Win or lose, didn't matter, both teams got beat up tonight. That could be a big difference going down the stretch and in to the playoffs.