PDA

View Full Version : Harrison speaks

stillers4me
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
December 1st, 2010

Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison spoke at length Wednesday after practice, the first time he has done so since the NFL fined him for a fourth time this season.
Harrison, who has now been docked a total of $125,000 by the league, said he won’t change the way he plays the game.

“There’s nothing malicious or illegal about the way I’m playing or the way I’m tackling guys so I’m going to continue to play the way I’m going to be playing and let the chips fall where they may,” Harrison said. “Anything I do that may be even close to the border is going to be called.”

Harrison’s teammates again came to his defense and inside linebacker James Farrior called out the NFL Players Association's executive director for not doing more to support Harrison.

“Where is DeMaurice Smith when all of this is going on?” Farrior said.

What follows are excerpts from Harrison’s Q&A with reporters:

Q: James Farrior said there’s not a lot of consistency with some of the penalties, fines…

A: “It’s like the wild, wild West, they’re making the rules as they go. They’re deciding what they fine, what they don’t want to fine, who they want to fine, who they don’t want to fine. They twisted our quarterback up (in the Bills' game), after the whistle was blown and everything else. If that had been Peyton Manning or Tom Brady they might have suspended that guy.”...........................

......................Q: How important is it to get the word out the fines and your feelings on them?

A: “If it wasn’t for y’all making a big fuss over the hits from way back when they had those three hits (on Oct. 17) none of this would even be a real big issue. The media, y’all control what goes on, y’all are like puppet masters and y’all control the puppets. If y’all say that they’re doing wrong and the media starts to say this more and more then I think things will start to change. Until y’all do something about it I don’t think nothing’s going to change.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/01/harrison-speaks-2/

Bravo, James!! :applaudit: Now I wonder how much he's going to get fined for speaking the truth??

fansince'76
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Bravo, James!! :applaudit: Now I wonder how much he's going to get fined for speaking the truth??

At least $25K the next time he dares to tackle someone, more than likely. Like you said in another thread, maybe the ref won't be as obvious and have the flag out of his pocket before the play is even concluded next time.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2010, 03:51 PM
And he spoke "VERY" clear...

SMR
12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
KUDOS!!

GodfatherofSoul
12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Great point, Deebo! Where the HELL is the PA on this? All I hear is talking heads on the sports shows regurgitating the "leading with the helmet" crap without question.

solardave
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
And he spoke "VERY" clear...

He's been clear all along but the idiots running the show are deaf!!!

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Great point, Deebo! Where the HELL is the PA on this? All I hear is talking heads on the sports shows regurgitating the "leading with the helmet" crap without question.

I've been wondering this all along. They're sure as Hell not doing anything to protect the players like they've done in the past with fines and suspensions.

Craic
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
“If it wasn’t for y’all making a big fuss over the hits from way back when they had those three hits (on Oct. 17) none of this would even be a real big issue. The media, y’all control what goes on, y’all are like puppet masters and y’all control the puppets. If y’all say that they’re doing wrong and the media starts to say this more and more then I think things will start to change. Until y’all do something about it I don’t think nothing’s going to change.”

I'm utterly speechless.
http://www.juanantonio.biz/juanjo.data/Archivo/gifs/hammer-nail.gif

Count Steeler
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Amazing how a commissioner is going to take down the most popular sport in America. How are we going to fill our Sunday afternoons without the NFL? It is bad enough in the winter, going through withdrawal pains, I can't imagine a full year without football. But it is coming, and I am afraid to see what is on the other side of this next CBA. If Roger has his way, I may not watch football. Only if the Steelers buck his trend and continue to play real football.

LLT
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Every chance I get...I ask these two questions to whoever is featured on NFL.com Chat.

"What is your opinion of the way that "Goodell's Big Hit Policy" is being enforced?.... are the officials now in a position where they are forced to make instant decisions (right or wrong) on bang-bang plays at the expense of the game?

So far Bucky Brooks...Gil Brandt...& Pat Kirwan have failed to answer the questions. I say we ALL flood them with the same questions until they have to acknowledge it!!!

Merchant
12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
"Hitting too hard draws a bigger fine than cheating or fighting"

well put. fukin B.S.

ALLD
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Every chance I get...I ask these two questions to whoever is featured on NFL.com Chat.

So far Bucky Brooks...Gil Brandt...& Pat Kirwan have failed to answer the questions. I say we ALL flood them with the same questions until they have to acknowledge it!!!

Late Hits on Sirius with Jim Miller and Bryan McGovern are the only ones getting it. Most of the other hosts are all for watering down the NFL into wide open offense with no defense. Somebody forgot to tell them that it already exists and it's called the CFL. Others are justifying the targeting of Harrison because it gets ratings and because of the possibility that the league might be sued in the future by former players for an "unsafe work place". I almost died when I heard that.

They also have the same shill caller on the air who uses different names but brings up the same topic and dumps all over the Steelers and Harrison. He claims all the other players have adjusted to the new rules, but James Harrison has not and that's why he is fined. The truth is Harrison is fined because he is a Steeler and most of the other players are not fined because they play for different teams (fact).